Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Storm Pro, what weight diff oil, why different weights? >

Storm Pro, what weight diff oil, why different weights?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Storm Pro, what weight diff oil, why different weights?

Search this Thread

Old 03-13-2004, 10:56 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Storm Pro, what weight diff oil, why different weights?

I bought a GS Strom Pro used but paractically new and fully assembled. I'm about to check the diffs for lubrication, oil, whatever. The manual calls for 5000 wt in the front, 7000 in back and 1000 in the rear. Why would you have different weights and what would changing the weights have on the affects of the car. The thickness of the oils must have more to do than just lubrication if different thicknesses are used for each differential. Why different thicknesses and what does the oil do besides lubricate the gears. Does if affect the traction or handling capabilities of the car and why? Thanks, Mike.
Old 03-13-2004, 08:35 PM
Tech Master

Default oils in diferentials

... not for lubrication but is used for tuning : to control the amount of slippage
Old 03-16-2004, 11:01 PM
Tech Initiate

having a lighter diff oil will allow the drive coming from the engine to "unload" or to be concentrated on whichever tire has least weight on it (front and rear diff) or to the front or rear driveshaft of the car (centre diff).

Heavier oil will "lock" the diff, or at least stiffen it where both wheels are driven equally or at a more similar speed (f,r) or front & rear driveshafts are driven in the same way (centre)

i think ive said it right