LiPo in a stock Evader ST? >

LiPo in a stock Evader ST?

LiPo in a stock Evader ST?

Old 01-05-2010, 11:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)
Default LiPo in a stock Evader ST?

Hey everyone, I just joined R/C Tech about an hour ago
Anyway, I'm fairly new to the whole R/C scene so I was wondering if I can use a LiPo battery in my stock Evader ST without modification (besides physical size issues). I am getting ready to order a Turnigy 5000mAh 2s 30c so I figured it would be a good idea to make sure. Also, I am planning on using a Traxxas connector on both the battery and ESC to replace the ESC's original Tamiya connector. Is this a good idea or would another connector be a wiser choice? Thanks in advance
Old 01-05-2010, 11:42 AM
Team Tekin

It will fit with no issues, but I'm not sure if the RTR ESC in the Evader has a lipo cutoff. If not, you'll either need an external cutoff or an ESC that has a built-in.

Welcome to the hobby!
Old 01-05-2010, 11:48 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 27 (100%+)
Default Cutoff

I'm by no means an authority on electrics but I do know discharging a lipo to low can destroy it. Hence the need for a esc with an automatic low voltage cutoff. You can pick up an esc like these for roughly the same price as a good lipo, relatively cheap insurance to keep from ruining your pack. Welcome to the hobby, it's all about fun!
Old 01-05-2010, 12:56 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

Thanks so much for the tips! Does anyone know of a cheap LiPo cut-off that I can get? I don't really want anything to expensive or nice because I will be moving to a Sidewinder 5700kV combo eventually. I think the Novak Smart-Stop might be my best/easiest option. I could also make my own if anybody out there happened to have schematics.