Community
Wiki Posts
Search

New Xerun 150a/80a esc-motor combo's

Search this Thread

Old 12-27-2009, 09:01 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I am going to sell one of my tekins and give one of these a shot. I love how smooth the rx8 is but I am open to try something new.
Old 12-27-2009, 09:17 AM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by havatitan
Are you talking about the newly released xerun systems or the old ezrun systems? I know the old ezrun 1/8 motors were not efficient and got very hot. I want to know if the new xerun motors (newly revised and supposedly much nore efficent) are any good. I know only a very few people will have them at this point, I was hoping someone here could give a run time and temp report. I know when setup properly the esc's are solid, it's the motors I'm interested in.

I'm talking about the new XERun motors, the specs look great but I don't want an unuseable vehicle because the motor has too much power. If its controllable on 2s then I'm in business. With all that torque to spin the large tires and run very cool seems like it would be a nice motor for such a vehicle.

We're spoiled by brushless and lipos, we've got way more power than we need!
Old 12-27-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I hear their stuff is the smoothest off the line out, even smoother than Tekin.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ScottStaypuff
I'm talking about the new XERun motors, the specs look great but I don't want an unuseable vehicle because the motor has too much power. If its controllable on 2s then I'm in business. With all that torque to spin the large tires and run very cool seems like it would be a nice motor for such a vehicle.

We're spoiled by brushless and lipos, we've got way more power than we need!
My post was in regards to jasonwipf earlier post. As far as your question, the xerun 2000 or 2250 (if they will fit) on 3s should be good for racing and 4s for bashing. A 2s on those motors will be a slug and generate a lot of heat.
Old 12-27-2009, 12:49 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

XeRuns were released recently (literally only been out about a month) so you won't find any long-term experiences with the XeRuns. I've confirmed with Hobbywing that the XeRun design is the same as the EZRuns, but the board is smaller and the overall package is smaller.

The Redcat HW system isn't the same as the ones you can buy. The ESC is based off the 80A, but it's an "RTR" version that's much less programmable. The 2250kV motor in the Redcat is a 3665 motor, NOT the same 2250kV that you buy with the new XeRun 80A combo, which is a 4168SL motor...MUCH larger.

Regarding the motors, I wouldn't trust a vendor website. They typically just take another page they have for a similar product type and cut and paste resulting in tons of errors. I've seen MMMs sold as "sensored", Feigaos sold as "4-pole" and all kinds of errors. I still don't think the new motors are 4-poles, but that doesn't mean they're not good motors. They have the size now to be competitive with the Tekins and Neu-Castles. Those always ran cooler partially because they're larger (and volume, assuming internals increase in size resultingly, makes more torque), more torque is available so less strain on the motor. These new 4168SL and 4274SL have the size...just hope they perform as well. I'm still wondering if the 4274SL is 42mm in diameter WITH or WITHOUT the fins. I think it's with, which means it's a 41mm diameter motor (just like how Neu-Castles and Tekins are 40mm motors with 2mm worth of fins).

Last edited by JSR; 12-27-2009 at 03:29 PM.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:42 PM
Tech Initiate

I think I'm going to run my EZRun 60a and VXL combo for a while and see if its enough for my monsterized Slash 4x4. I'll keep an eye on this thread though.
Old 12-27-2009, 03:50 PM
JSR
Tech Master

That should be fine in your Slash. I run an EZRun 60A with a HW EZRun 3665SL 2300kV motor (supposed to be a 1/8-buggy motor) in my E-Savage which is 4WD with no problems.
Old 12-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Initiate

Originally Posted by JSR
That should be fine in your Slash. I run an EZRun 60A with a HW EZRun 3665SL 2300kV motor (supposed to be a 1/8-buggy motor) in my E-Savage which is 4WD with no problems.
I'm hoping the motor is up to the task too but I scaled back on tire size so I think it will be ok.
Old 12-27-2009, 07:04 PM
Tech Elite

Them motors look awesome and would get 1 but I have to say I am inclined to stay with my bulletproof CC/2200 BUT if they were sensored I would be on it asap. I was thinking about a MMpro and a Tekin or SP V2 motor for a 2nd set up, but may go with this esc and V2 or Tekin instead. I can see running a sensorless esc with a sensored motor of course in sensorless mode but I wouldnt even think about buying a sensorless motor to go with an esc that can take sensored motors, unless I got it for like $10 LOL.
Old 12-28-2009, 09:50 PM
JSR
Tech Master

I really want to try the new 4274SL 2000kV motor also. It looks really nice, even if it's still a 2-pole. But so far, aside from ebay, there are some overseas stores that sells them and I'd like to find a domestic vendor if possible as the combo is a lot of money to send overseas. Hopefully someone will carry them in the US. That's the biggest con for HW products...their performance and quality are fine, but they lack domestic customer support and retail network. And HW hasn't responded to my questions about their new motors.
Old 12-29-2009, 12:13 AM
Tech Master

well had a chance to try one just last sunday night at OCRC in Orange county, have to say it's STRAPPED!! ran it sensored, with a Tekin T8 Motor 1900Kv on 4 cells in a Truggy, it's still big not as big as the older modle but still, i'd say about as long as the Tekin RX8 but a little wider than a RX8, if this can help? was in a RC8TCE converted to "Electric" and in the tray there was a little room side to side but not much front to back....bout maybe same size as a Mamba?
but Lower, ran it with a 16,50 and pretty much was a Bullet !!
stayed cool like with my RX8's motor never hit above 130..if that?
and ESC was cool ......
now if looking for maybe something different? this is a nice one and at about 130.00 on average+/- easy on the wallet....
still had to do some "Tweeking" with the program card for my style of driving, but that is easy to do....and it's "Easy to Set Up"
have Tekin's now and dont get me wrong i like mine there all good, but still overall getting 2 more XeRun150A's for some back up
the XeRun motors? not sure as i did not use one? but i am sure they may be better than the older ones? all i know this ESC with the Tekin motor good combo!! no funny extra wires like the LRP's and comes with the Wires already Soldered on! so those not really liking the solder thing this is a cool deal too.....
but simple set up like the RX8's and Mamba's straight forward, and to the point and can run sensored or sensorless....
Old 12-29-2009, 10:32 AM
JSR
Tech Master

1BLADE1 -

When you "tweaked" the ESC settings, did you adjust punch or timing? If so, how far did you adjust each one? The old EZRuns had problems with the ESCs smoking if either one of those were adjusted to low. I'm wondering if the new XeRuns have this problem still.
Also, you didn't try the motor, but do you have one to try? The motors look a lot better than the old ones (though I don't really have much complaints about the old ones either)...and HW's website says the rotors are "anti-break" or something, which implies a carbon or kevlar wrap (or something similar). Just wondering if the combo is worth it.
Also, where did you buy your XeRuns if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks.
Old 12-31-2009, 12:24 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by JSR
1BLADE1 -

When you "tweaked" the ESC settings, did you adjust punch or timing? If so, how far did you adjust each one? The old EZRuns had problems with the ESCs smoking if either one of those were adjusted to low. I'm wondering if the new XeRuns have this problem still.
Also, you didn't try the motor, but do you have one to try? The motors look a lot better than the old ones (though I don't really have much complaints about the old ones either)...and HW's website says the rotors are "anti-break" or something, which implies a carbon or kevlar wrap (or something similar). Just wondering if the combo is worth it.
Also, where did you buy your XeRuns if you don't mind my asking?

Thanks.

no problem,
the Punch i did a little ,but i had a Tekin T8 Motor so for those you kinda leave them where there at, you could but i left it where the Manufacture recommended. in one heat i did try it at 3.75 and seemed better
for the Punch, i left it at level 5 for my Truggy and level 3 for my buggy....
yea, i hear ya on the old ones they did the smoke thing, the new ones so far i have not seen it happen?
there are 4 in our little circle,
mine and my kid, and his friend and one of our racing bud's
my sons friend found out the hard way on a "Lack of Battery thing"
had his "Punch Maxed Out" and we thought something was wrong? the car kind of just "Shuttered" turns out the ESC will try and Deliver more than the battery can put out !! so if you have good Li-Po's with at least 30+C rating can probaly max it out,so we brought it back down to 7 and it was right as rain....
and again on the motor, yea sorry i could not say "Personaly"
However, my sons friend did have one! from what we could tell
it did look REAL GOOD! did remind me of other motors on the market, he had his in a RC8e and had it geared at 16/46 and was a BULLET!! so far all of ours seem to be running cool, bout "Average" i would say, i will look up from which vendor we got ours from, off hand dont remember? but it was off "Ebay" ordered our on a Monday i believe? and got them by race weekend, was quicker than i thought!! i think a place called "Nitro RCX" may have some? there in "California" so being "State Side" may get them quicker...
there is a Video on the "Orange County Race way" web site from our race (OCRC) it may be posted by now? was on the 27th(sunday night) 1/8 scale A Main
i was the "Only Truggy" in a Field of Buggies!! LOL
in any case so can get an idea of how it seems to be ok, and On Par with other systems
but i would say it is a WAY better Improvment from the older ESC
but for getting one of any of the newer ESC's i'd say for sure put this one in there
also i used the LCD box the new one, very Nice looking!! and you can put it your Hauler bag,pit box etc. no need for a Elaborate Laptop or anything like that, it is used just like the smaller Ez-run program box, but this one is back lit, and has more features, cool blue screen too
have to say if this box was sold in the "States" for sure be at least an "Overkiil Over price" of around 140.00 to 160.00 EASY!
but it's only 20.00 !!!!!!!

if anyone would like i'll try and post some picks? or maybe some setups from the ESC's we used??

but here is mine i used in the video

1 Running Mode: Forward/Brake
2 Drag Brake Force: 0%
3 Voltage Cut off: did custom set up with LCD Box
4 Start Mode(Punch): Level 5
5 Brake Force: 50%
(from LCD box set braking to "Soft")

6 Reverse Brake Force: LCD programed "Off"
7 Initial Brake Force: 0% (Liniear)
8 Neutral Range: or throttle Dead Band 6%
9 Timing: in "Main" ran 0.00
10 Overheat Protection: "Enabled"
11 Motor rotation: standard
12 Li-Po cells 4 cell

hope some of this can help
Old 01-28-2010, 04:57 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

That's wierd.I don't have overheat protection as an option and it says with the newest firmware you can disable brakes but I don't have that option either with my lcd programmer.What version of firmware do you have on your programmer Blade?

Nevermind,figured it out.The translation to english in the manuals are horrible.

Last edited by shawzie; 01-28-2010 at 07:13 PM. Reason: Figured it out
Old 01-28-2010, 05:50 PM
Tech Elite

Blade which program card are you using? They have 2 1 is cheap and older looking and the other is nicer looking with a screen and is a few more buks? Everywhere I look sayd either or but I think the nicer 1 will have better software, is this true or no? I want to order it from Kershaw but he only has the cheaper card. I also would love to know if you could use the Speedpassion card on these? They are manf'd by HW.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.