MMM vs Novak HV

Old 12-23-2009, 09:34 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)
Default MMM vs Novak HV

Im about to finish converting my RC8 to electric. Im wondering, i know that the MMM is a GREAT system iv owned 2, but i was wondering if anyone had any 1st hand info on the Novak HV series of 1/8 setups, are they any good? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks
Daniel
Old 12-23-2009, 09:40 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JATOdriver View Post
Im about to finish converting my RC8 to electric. Im wondering, i know that the MMM is a GREAT system iv owned 2, but i was wondering if anyone had any 1st hand info on the Novak HV series of 1/8 setups, are they any good? Any input would be GREATLY appreciated!
Thanks
Daniel
IMO there not great for 1/8 conversions. The Novak HV esc is very temp sensative and smokes easily. The Motors are good, but not as powerful as most of the newer systems such as the MMM and Tekin systems. People are having success with the motors in the new 4x4 corr trucks with different ESC's on 2s, but those trucks are much lighter than 1/8 buggies. I would stick with the MMM or a tekin system for your conversion.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:42 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 62 (100%+)
Default hey

Well I have a losi 8ight t e. Currently im running the novak hv 6.5 system. its great I really like it I havent had any issues with it. Some things you might need to know if you choose this combo is that it can only handle 4s lipo. The MMM can handle 6s so the monster will be alot faster.. Also you cant run a single 4s lipo with out a external bec. So you have to run two 2s in parallel or series. The hv systems are also kind of made for racing do to the fact that their novak and only 4s max. Hope this helped you out.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:43 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 515 (100%+)

It depends on what you want. I don't know a single person who runs any of the Novak 1/8 stuff. The MMM is hard to beat. In 10th scale I have several sets of Novak GTBs and Mamba Max and it's hard to pick a favorite. I use the Novak stuff because I have to use a sensored system for racing but if that was not an issue the Castle Creations stuff makes gobs more power with the same efficiency (my observation and not scientifically verified). I also love the tunability of the Castle Stuff. Their Castle Link is the shiz. Don't get me wrong. Novak ESCs and motors are smooth and reliable....I have no issues, that's good stuff too.
Old 12-23-2009, 09:46 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

MMM + 1800KV motor. Good for 4S or 5S racing. HV not as widely used, not as efficient a motor, too high a KV, etc.

(there are various threads here with the same discussion about HV stuff before)
Old 12-23-2009, 10:39 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

If you do run a Novak HV be sure to get the 14MM tuning rotor. It increases torqe, reduces motor temperatures, and reduces KV so it is easier to gear correctly.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:23 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
If you do run a Novak HV be sure to get the 14MM tuning rotor. It increases torqe, reduces motor temperatures, and reduces KV so it is easier to gear correctly.
So in other words, just get the MMM combo and you'll be set!!
Old 12-23-2009, 11:28 AM
Tech Elite

MMM, new software for free.

When Novak has something new, you buy a new controller.
Old 12-23-2009, 11:47 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 83 (100%+)

I ran both in a RC8T and would reccomend the MMM over the Novak. The Novak is a bit more sensitive than the MMM and you are limited to 4s. Even if you don't ever use 6s at least with the MMM you aren't running it at it's max all the time on 4s.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

One other thing to keep in mind. If you run the Novak you must use two separate 2S batteries or an external BEC. I haven't seen any one running the Novak system is a long time but if you do, the RC8 has nice low gearing (4.3:1) that will allow you to get the correct ratio for their motors. Everybody that I know runs either the Tekin system or the Castle system.
Old 12-23-2009, 01:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 165 (100%+)

Originally Posted by losifiend View Post
So in other words, just get the MMM combo and you'll be set!!
Or a Tekin. That's what I run.
Old 12-23-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Hard to beat Castle's products.
Old 12-23-2009, 05:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ta_man View Post
Or a Tekin. That's what I run.
Not a Tekin. I sold mine because of horrible customer support. My RX8 went out and I waited 3 weeks for a response on when I would get a new one. My MMM V3 went out and they used my credit card as collateral to mail me a new one. When it got here it had a prepaid envelope to return the damaged one. No questions asked....Tekin gave me the run around and would not cover the return shipping.

Tekin has a crummy warranty too. Something stupid like 90 days. Castle has you covered for a year. The RX8 is the most expensive ESC on teh market and they still want another $30 for a Hotwire. Castle gives you the software and castle link with the ESC and you get free updates too.

Tekin is a mom and pop shop. They will take care of you at their pase and make excuses along the way. Castle will bend over backwards to make things rite...the first time!!