Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Novak GT7 has no current limiter?

Search this Thread

Old 03-10-2004, 07:40 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Novak GT7 has no current limiter?

I'm in the market for a new ESC for off-road racing purposes.

While considering the Novak GT7 versus the LRP, GM, and Duratrax top models, I've noticed that the GT7 doesn't have a current limiter... even though the Dually, and several other popular racing ESCs have 'em.

Why is this? Is it not considered a "pro" feature or something?

Should I just get a GT7 and learn good throttle control, or should I go for a model with more bells and whistles like the GM or and LRP or the Duratrax 8T pro?

Thanks for any help offered.
Old 03-10-2004, 07:51 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

In my opinion the GT7 is a fantastic ESC. I have had no problems with it. I'm not sure about learning good throttle control, I'm fairly new to racing and I have no problems with the throttle. (I'm running it in my xxx-s onroad) As for 'pro' the GT7 wins alot of major races. Check out the results of some major races they are almost all LRP or Novak.
Just thought I would give you my 2 cents

Last edited by subman; 03-10-2004 at 09:02 PM.
Old 03-11-2004, 05:01 AM
Tech Initiate

The GT7 does have a "current limiter" but it is different than the types you are used to seeing. The gt7 has 7 different programs. Each of these programs is set up to perform best with different types of motors and on different surfaces. When I run my GT7 on carpet in my Tc with a stock motor, I set it to the program with the most current or "punch" since there is not a traction issue. But when I run it in my truck on dirt, I set it to a program with a little bit less current so that the motor has less torque, and it will not spin the tires as easily. If you ask me, I would get the Gt7. Ever since I used it I have hated my dually, and I like it so much that I switch it between my cars for each race because I can only afford one. (Deans plugs and velcro work wonders) Get the GT7
Old 03-11-2004, 07:52 AM
Tech Regular

Huh... From reading the manual I gather that the programs on the GT7 are varying the motor freqency to give "smooth" or "aggressive" driving feelings... but not limiting current.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 162 (100%+)

Torsion, you are correct, and each throttle program limits the amount of power and pucn given to the motor to help you get around the track without spinning the tires so bad, or if there is alot of traction then wide open with no limiting. They are just different throttle programs that are pre set to help you tune for the track, and different motors whether its stock or mod, there are different programs for each. So in turn, there are actually limiters in each program, ranging from say 60% to 100%, this helps with power delivery to smooth it out and such just like a limiter chip in the lrp's. Personally i dont run limiter chips, just use my finger and maybe turn the arc down a bit on the controller to smooth it out. jus my thoughts.
Old 03-11-2004, 08:09 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

You are correct, there is no "true" current limiter such as what the V12 has. It's too bad that most manufacturer's have eliminated this feature. Basically the thought is that you can acheive a similar feel to a current limiter by varying the frequency, but that only does part of it. There's a reason I still use Tekin Speedos in my Mabuchi clad cars. Talking to a lot of pro drivers, they would rather have the wheel spinning power available to them and control their throttle with their finger. While this is great for drivers like Matt Francis and Brian Kinwald, I need all the help I can get.
Old 03-11-2004, 09:53 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

As for the GT7, just be prepared for one to blow on you. At our track we have seen a great amount of these ESCs go poof on the spot. Last week for our sportsman class a guys ESC just caught on fire, first thing everyone said, "must be a GT7".

Seems novak doesn't care as much about there ESCs as they once did.

When it came time for me to upgrade, I decided to go with a GM speed control, for me the V8 was a good fit.

The ESC puts out good power and I like the settings it has and a current limiter. Only issue is that it can be alittle more involved to setup, but the stock setting works fine for me.
Old 03-11-2004, 11:00 AM
Tech Regular

Man... that's way spooky... I'm still leaning toward getting at GT7... but it scares me some...
Old 03-11-2004, 02:30 PM
Tech Legend

maybe you should go with LRP Quantum speed controls or the 7.1 if it is still around.

I know that the Quantum at the level you are looking have a lifetime warranty.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thumbs up

You know, that is interesting. The only speed controls I have ever personally seen go poof were the lrp ones where the wrong current limiters were installed. And I did recently see a gm v8 go poof at the ROAR onroad nationals. Maybe the gt7s are going poof because they are using the wrong throttle program for the motor they are running. I have had extremely good luck with all the novak speed controls I have ever owned. I even have an original cyclone that I still use regularily (it must be at least 4 years old). I wouldn't hesitate buying a gt7 if I were you.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:20 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've never seen a GT7 blow either. Mine works really well, and I've used it in like 4 different cars to this point too. I wouldn't hesitate to reccomend it. In fact, I've only blown one speedo myself, and that was a HB Twister that I didn't install the schottky on.
Old 03-11-2004, 03:31 PM
Tech Master

Yeah. The GT7 is great. I've had many Novak ESCs including the Original Cyclone. But that went poof since my dad accidentally used the gardening hose and sprayed my truck down since I came back from a bash.
Old 03-11-2004, 04:53 PM
Tech Legend

To each his own I guess. My thing is see which company stands by what they sell. From what my LHS has experienced, novaks standard response is as bad as trinity's. Its always your fault, nothing could be wrong with what we made, and oh by the way we will fix it but you have to pay out the a$$.

Novak used to make good stuff and I don't have a problem buying there older ESCs or even the Dually, good from what I have heard, but I have seen too many GT7s go poof.
Old 03-12-2004, 06:56 AM
V12
Tech Elite

If you are looing for a current limiter ESC there are very few left with this feature. I know of the GM Racing V12 and the LRP 7.1
both are working very good.