Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
4x4 slash will it be Spec class at your track?? >

4x4 slash will it be Spec class at your track??

4x4 slash will it be Spec class at your track??

Old 12-23-2009, 08:10 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by stockslasher
Our local track is running three SCT classes already. We still have a Spec Slash which is still supported with 12+ entries every event. The Stock SCT is not significantly supported with only around 6 entries that are mostly SC10 with 17.5T. The Open SCT is well supported with 10+ entries. The first 4x4 SCT just hit the track for the first time. The plan is Open 4x4 SCT. At our track Open means Open motor, battery, etc. The current rules are SCT tires and body.

I expect that the Spec Slash and Stock SCT should merge. The Open SCT 2wd will remain even as the Open SCT4wd class starts. I have not purchased a 4wd SCT yet cause I am waiting to see what the specs form up like. If it is 2S Lipo only I will get a Slash 4x4. If it opens up to 4S then I want an 8th scale conversion (SC8e,RC8e, etc). Weight will matter in this class!
Combine Spec and Stock, the Slash shouldn't get it's own class just because of chassis. I would hate to see the SC class turn into a big rules fest and have everyone quit running them because there are so many rules that it's not fun.

Let's keep this how offroad should be. Stock and Open.

/thread.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Apprentice

If it is 2S Lipo only I will get a Slash 4x4. If it opens up to 4S then I want an 8th scale conversion (SC8e,RC8e, etc). Weight will matter in this class!
That's exactly where I'm at. If it is anything other than 2S with 1/10 electronics and SC marketed tires I'll be looking at a RC8e or MP9e to scratch that itch. I can use my existing 2S and 1/10 electronics for a mod or "stock" 2WD CORR class or 1/10 2WD "bucket", plus I use it for on-road TC.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:17 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Yeah to many classes kills a class before you know it......

Spec slash with only pink bodies and gay drivers
Spec slash with white bodies with KKK drivers....
Spec slash running from 12:00 to 12:10 under clear skys only.....wtf?

Run what you brung stock and mod.....
Old 12-23-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

If it is 2S Lipo only I will get a Slash 4x4. If it opens up to 4S then I want an 8th scale conversion (SC8e,RC8e, etc). Weight will matter in this class!
what are you going to do if it 3s? On an indoor track an 1/8th buggy will do suprisingly well on 3s with the right setup.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:22 AM
Team Tekin

I don't think buggy conversions should be allowed. 4S limit is fine, the new 4WD slash accepts 1/8 electronics, which should be fine because it is a MOD class afterall. It should be a marketed 4WD SCT and have to be under a maximum weight. And absolutely NO 1/8 wheels and tires should be allowed. Completely defeats the purpose of a short course.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:26 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TY@TEAMTEKIN
I don't think buggy conversions should be allowed. 4S limit is fine, the new 4WD slash accepts 1/8 electronics, which should be fine because it is a MOD class afterall. It should be a marketed 4WD SCT and have to be under a maximum weight. And absolutely NO 1/8 wheels and tires should be allowed. Completely defeats the purpose of a short course.
I agree. They are totally different machines. Buggies should run with buggies, not pick on 1/10 corr trucks.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:28 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY
I agree. They are totally different machines. Buggies should run with buggies, not pick on 1/10 corr trucks.
What's the point of companies developing 1/10 4WD SCT's if people are just going to throw down their 1/8 E that the just ran with a simple swap of wheels and body? Let's not kill this class before it starts!
Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

I guess then I would be curious as to how you want to define a 4wd short course vehicle that is able to eliminate a "buggy" 4x4 1/8?

If the dimensions are the same and the vehicle uses the class specific items (short course standard body, tires, etc), if its chassis is "similar" to a 1/8 buggy, how do you eliminate it then?

Just seems that its possible for those vehicles to be made to fit a short course rule since the current short course bodies fit the 1/8 buggy chassis fine.

I also wonder, is it easier for a company to patch on the necessary class specific items (12mm hexes, SC legal tires, body, etc) onto an existing chassis and call it good than trying to make a 1/10 4wd SC from scratch?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:29 AM
Tech Apprentice

Can SC8e run in this new "open" class then? It also is a SCT that uses 4S and 1/8 electronics.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by liquiddog
Can SC8e run in this new "open" class then? It also is a SCT that uses 4S and 1/8 electronics.
I would think that it would be dimension dependent if some place really wants to limit it. The SC8e probably is bigger than the Slash 4x4. I could see AE wanting to have the SC8e included in with the slash 4x4.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by interplanet
These cars were not meant to be run on 2s, if you do that you might as well run spec class. How fun is it going to be when you cannot clear gaps that you could clear on 3s in practice. Whats the point of 2s, i really dont get it, just to slow the car down? I thought the point was to go as fast as you can?
I don't think it should be limited to 2S either. 2S doesn't mean slow, just look at the Hyper 10 vids. Most of those vids, are trucks running 2S, and they are NOT slow.

Combine Spec and Stock, the Slash shouldn't get it's own class just because of chassis. I would hate to see the SC class turn into a big rules fest and have everyone quit running them because there are so many rules that it's not fun.
Yup, seen that happen here locally at 2 tracks. Once people see the same truck drive so much easier with just a tire change, they ditch the Spec class. The "Spec Slash Crowd" tried their best to make it a Slash only class... they failed.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Legend

Originally Posted by R40Victim
Yup, seen that happen here locally at 2 tracks. Once people see the same truck drive so much easier with just a tire change, they ditch the Spec class. The "Spec Slash Crowd" tried their best to make it a Slash only class... they failed.
Funny thing for me though, I could possibly seeing spec if it got started with the slash 4x4 actually sticking around since they are easier to drive because of the 4x4. Hopefully tracks don't limit it to only that vehicle.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:36 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 24 (100%+)

Hey OW,
I will keep on topic
www.nearclub.com We have proposed "stock" with "platinum edition" upgrades allowed. Although not etched in stone our members are debating now.
Here is a link to our discussion http://www.106racepark.com/modules.p...ewtopic&t=3936
Old 12-23-2009, 08:43 AM
Tech Apprentice

Too many rules can kill a class, just as not enough rules can kill a class.

My illustration is that if we can run 1/8 electronics (i.e. 3S/4S and 1/8 motor/esc) then why can we also not run a car that is slightly larger?

The reason is it is 1/8, but the other cars are 1/10 (sort of). So if we exclude cars that are too big, we have made a "rule." If we decide it has to be 1/10 electronics (i.e. 2S and 540 size motor) we have just made another rule that is just as broad.

I dunno, but it makes sense to me that I don't want to run a small-ish 1/8 scale with 1/8 scale tires and 1/8 scale electronics. I'll run a big-ish 1/10 scale with 1/10 scale electronics and SC tires though.
Old 12-23-2009, 08:48 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain
I guess then I would be curious as to how you want to define a 4wd short course vehicle that is able to eliminate a "buggy" 4x4 1/8?

If the dimensions are the same and the vehicle uses the class specific items (short course standard body, tires, etc), if its chassis is "similar" to a 1/8 buggy, how do you eliminate it then?

Just seems that its possible for those vehicles to be made to fit a short course rule since the current short course bodies fit the 1/8 buggy chassis fine.

I also wonder, is it easier for a company to patch on the necessary class specific items (12mm hexes, SC legal tires, body, etc) onto an existing chassis and call it good than trying to make a 1/10 4wd SC from scratch?
One way to limit it would be to have a maximum weight. You can make an electric 1/8 look like a sc truck, but they will always be heavy with the big 1/8 motors and 4s+ batteries not to mention the rolling chassis itself is way heavier then the actual 4x4 trucks. That takes 1/8 conversions out of the picture. Weight is the factor that I would be most concerned about if the two were allowed to race together. I have an 8ight-E. I know how much these things weigh, and I know how much power they have. I just don't think it would be smart to allow these to run with the 4x4's when the 1/8 could take out the whole field either intentionally or not. Just run the E-scales in their own class. It's tons of fun as it is.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.