Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
4x4 slash will it be Spec class at your track?? >

4x4 slash will it be Spec class at your track??

4x4 slash will it be Spec class at your track??

Old 12-22-2009, 11:09 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

You must be in the wrong tread Zerodefect

The 4x4 class will be big. No stopping it
Old 12-22-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 274 (100%+)

yeah, I can see that too.

Not sure though why a buggy based 4x4 CORR truck would be much of an issue, from what I have been reading, seems that the CORR 2wd trucks are similar in size.

I guess the odd man out right now appears to be the SC8s.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
yeah, I can see that too.

Not sure though why a buggy based 4x4 CORR truck would be much of an issue, from what I have been reading, seems that the CORR 2wd trucks are similar in size.

I guess the odd man out right now appears to be the SC8s.
All the new 4x4 SC's are all 1/8th buggy based. The OFNA is nothing more then a hyper 1/8th scale buggy. Also the Jammin 4X4 as well.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jzemaxx View Post
All the new 4x4 SC's are all 1/8th buggy based. The OFNA is nothing more then a hyper 1/8th scale buggy. Also the Jammin 4X4 as well.
Wrong! The hyper and jammin are based on 1/12 scale mini truggies. The platform is very close in design to a 1/8 buggy, but significantly sized down. Just look at the weight of a hyper or jammin compared to a 1/8 buggy. Big difference as the hyper and jammin weigh in at 3.7 pounds without electrics. The buggy conversions are 1/8 and should be treated as such, not as 1/10 corr trucks. There is an E-scale class for a reason.

As for the track rulings, I don't think it's possible to make it a spec class because there is more than one vehicle available. Spec classes only work when there is only one vehicle being made for that class. Spec classes generally have a very short lifespan. IMO the only rule should be to limit the tires to a sc type tire with a 2.2/3.0 wheel. Other than that anything goes. You could limit battery to 2s but if you do that you take away some motor options so you would have to limit that too. Too many rules will kill the class.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:49 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 274 (100%+)

I'll have to take a look at one then and see how the a-arms and such compare to a 1/8 scale buggy.
Old 12-22-2009, 02:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JAMMINKRAZY View Post
Wrong! The hyper and jammin are based on 1/12 scale mini truggies. The platform is very close in design to a 1/8 buggy, but significantly sized down. Just look at the weight of a hyper or jammin compared to a 1/8 buggy. Big difference as the hyper and jammin weigh in at 3.7 pounds without electrics. The buggy conversions are 1/8 and should be treated as such, not as 1/10 corr trucks. There is an E-scale class for a reason.

As for the track rulings, I don't think it's possible to make it a spec class because there is more than one vehicle available. Spec classes only work when there is only one vehicle being made for that class. Spec classes generally have a very short lifespan. IMO the only rule should be to limit the tires to a sc type tire with a 2.2/3.0 wheel. Other than that anything goes. You could limit battery to 2s but if you do that you take away some motor options so you would have to limit that too. Too many rules will kill the class.
Look at the 1/12th scale wheelbases 8-9" max.....then look at the 1/8th scale buggy wheelbases. The corr trucks are 1/8th scale wheelbase, width...etc. They maybe just sized up mini truggy chassis, but nothing more then buggy's with truck body's. They may use that platform to save weight, but that is about it.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:08 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Originally Posted by jzemaxx View Post
Look at the 1/12th scale wheelbases 8-9" max.....then look at the 1/8th scale buggy wheelbases. The corr trucks are 1/8th scale wheelbase, width...etc. They maybe just sized up mini truggy chassis, but nothing more then buggy's with truck body's. They may use that platform to save weight, but that is about it.
Problem with that philosophy is that the 1/8 conversions will end up weighing close to twice what the actual 1/10 trucks do. I personally can see the issues with this when it comes to the two racing side by side. It gives the 1/8 conversions an obvious durability advantage and if the driver chooses or is just out of control, could easily take out the 1/10 trucks. It would be like running a 2wd corr with a 1/8. It's obvious that the 1/8 would be stronger.

The ofna and jammin are NOT buggies. Far from it actually. If you have ever seen one of them or even the mini truggies that they are based on you would know what I mean. The parts are 1/10 sized even if the overall vehicle is similar in size to a 1/8 buggy. IMO if you want to run a electric 1/8 just run it as the buggy that it is.
Old 12-22-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 46 (100%+)

No 4x4 slash isn't spec it's run with the open 4x4 which includes the hyper and jammin. I do wonder will they be allowing buggy based conversion's locally though..but so far I haven't seen any I think most people are just running the hypers and soon the jammin when people start buying them(the hyper release first so yea most people already had em when the jammin dropped)
Old 12-22-2009, 08:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

At my track the 4x4 SC class will be open like it should be!

"Spec" is non existent and frowned upon, but SCT and open 2WD will be healthy come Spring!
Old 12-22-2009, 08:51 PM
Tech Prophet

it depends on the tracks u go to some have more diffrent classes than others.
i seen where there is a lot of people. with 1/10 gas 2wd truck and others its, no 1/10.
Old 12-22-2009, 08:59 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Nah, I wouldn't want to run the converted 8th scales in the same class, for the reasons that were already stated. These things ARE 10th scale, and thus much lighter built than 8th scale. In a collision, the 8th scale would CLOBBER the 10th.

IMO we don't need another Corr class. Run RTR and 2wd open. Screw the 4x4.
uh yeah, you just got left back in last week, try to keep up...
Old 12-22-2009, 11:15 PM
Tech Addict

Glad I put the novak system in my 2wd slash. Because if this class starts, mod corr will start up as well. I think I'm ready.
Old 12-23-2009, 07:12 AM
Tech Apprentice

I am hoping to see 4x4 CORR stay "open" but still be 2S and with 1/10 electronics. Tires should be SC based as well, with the guideline being "marketed as SC tires".

Without those two simple rules, I would personally be more interested in getting a RC8e or maybe the upcoming Kyosho MP9e and running 4S and 1/8 electronics. (obviously more expensive to get into..)
Old 12-23-2009, 07:48 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 9 (91%+)

These cars were not meant to be run on 2s, if you do that you might as well run spec class. How fun is it going to be when you cannot clear gaps that you could clear on 3s in practice. Whats the point of 2s, i really dont get it, just to slow the car down? I thought the point was to go as fast as you can?
Old 12-23-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Adept

Our local track is running three SCT classes already. We still have a Spec Slash which is still supported with 12+ entries every event. The Stock SCT is not significantly supported with only around 6 entries that are mostly SC10 with 17.5T. The Open SCT is well supported with 10+ entries. The first 4x4 SCT just hit the track for the first time. The plan is Open 4x4 SCT. At our track Open means Open motor, battery, etc. The current rules are SCT tires and body.

I expect that the Spec Slash and Stock SCT should merge. The Open SCT 2wd will remain even as the Open SCT4wd class starts. I have not purchased a 4wd SCT yet cause I am waiting to see what the specs form up like. If it is 2S Lipo only I will get a Slash 4x4. If it opens up to 4S then I want an 8th scale conversion (SC8e,RC8e, etc). Weight will matter in this class!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.