Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Are Turnigy Batteries faster than Zippy Flightmax? >

Are Turnigy Batteries faster than Zippy Flightmax?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Are Turnigy Batteries faster than Zippy Flightmax?

Search this Thread

Old 12-19-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Champion

Default Are Turnigy Batteries faster than Zippy Flightmax?

Sold all my 1/10th batteries below cost to new racers that needed to upgrade to Lipo to get some good racing in.

Need new Lipos, but have heard that the Turnigy's are a little bit better than the Zippys.

Do I need more than 20c, I was running 30c Zippy hardcases.

I think 5 of these should be nice:
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...dproduct=10098

As long as I have your ear, I'm thinking about grabing a 13.5 and a 10.5 or 8.5 from hobby city to try. Just to see if it works. (Running a Tekin RS) Any recommendations?
Old 12-19-2009, 07:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

It just my opinion. Hobbycity batteries are cheap and good. As long as you are ordering I would get the highest c raating you can get. I think 40c and they have hardcase up to 5800 now. I would get 2 or 3 packs big enough for quallies and a couple fatty's for the long mains. Or just all big ones.

And yes I have heard generally turnigy's are better than Zippy's. That may be changing though.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I have some Zippys, Rhinos, and Turnigy packs. The Zippy does seem to be the cheapest materials and they need balancing occasionally. The Turnigy feels cheap but performs great, never balances, and the Rhino packs feel like they are constructed the best and never need balance after many many hard cycles. The Rhinos come in strange sizes though so they dont fit alot of cars. I would go with Turnigy after those.

I cant imagine many applications that you would need more than the 100A those batts can handle. Since you listed those motors I figure they would be used in 10th scale truck. I really doubt you need 30C or that you would notice any difference at all.

Some of those motors at HC have good reviews, but read them cause I know at least one had very poor ratings. I have a few sensorless motors from them that perform great. The sensored motors seem to have a bit lower kv than comparable "name brands", but that hardly is ever an accurate comparison anyways. I would try them if I needed one right now.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:41 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Those should be fine but if running 8.5, I think 30C may be slightly better. There is a 5200 30C out now with a good price. Would this wiring work for you?

http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s..._Car_Lipo_Pack
Old 12-19-2009, 07:44 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Them would be fine and yes the Turnigy are said to have more punch per C rating the Zippy. They also have the new 5200 30C. And if you dont have to have hard case they have even more choices. For 8th scale electric a very popular pack is Turnigy 4S 30C 5000mah, I had 1 and liked it alot. I keep saying they need to make some 4 and 5s packs that fit the ve8. You could use them hardcases in series but the wiring would be a bitch to deal with. I am going to get a set of the 5200's probably for practice. And on the motors I havent heard much from them but I can say that HW makes good lil motors and HC rebadges some of theirs. So look at the HW site and try to determine which line at HC is them and get 1 of those. Just incase you dont know HW is hobbywing.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Champion

I might just get the Zippy 5000 35c hardcase packs. I kinda want to stay hardcase. I run B4 13.5, Sc10 mod, Slash RTR.

I can't use front wires. My batteries in my B4, Sc10 are full forward. So front wires hit the box/servo.

I cut clearance in the sides of my battery box for my Wires. So side wires or top wires work for me. I cut my battery box sides low for more chassis flex.

I might hold off on those motors. And get a Duo platinum 8.5 and 13.5, my Tekins are kinda pricey to be smoking with cheapy motors.

So if i got this right? The turnigies are slightly built better than the Zippy, but perform about the same? Just need to know if I'm giving up performance with the Zippy 35c over the Tunigys.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)
Default interesting

i am "supposed" to be getting two Turnigy 4s 5000 40c batteries for christmas

I will post how they compare to the two 2s orion 25c im running now in my inferno VE
Old 12-19-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by *BBB*
i am "supposed" to be getting two Turnigy 4s 5000 40c batteries for christmas

I will post how they compare to the two 2s orion 25c im running now in my inferno VE
Definitely should be a good boost with the 40C. For the Zippy 35C question - they should be just fine - some guys are afraid to cut the wire slots into the battery box - I did it and run the 20C Zippys hardcases and like the power they offer for 10.5 brushless. Might get more punch with 30C+ but I'm not needing it right now (not racing full-time, just when I can get out there).
Old 12-19-2009, 08:44 PM
Tech Champion

Yeah my 30c batteries were doing fine. I'll probally just upgrade slightly to the 5000mah 30 Zippy hadcase.

We swiss cheesed the chassis on our B4. Saw some racers romove most of the sides of the battery box, right down to the chassis for the center 3-4 inches. They also trimmed most of the sides off the chassis by the body sides. They wanted more flex, but they're still pretty stiff.

Tuned flex "dremel edition".
Old 12-19-2009, 09:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Zippy and Turnigy both feel cheap compared to some other packs I have, just judging it by the feel in my hand. Both have good punch and perform as good as any I have used. But the Turnigy does seem to stay balanced all the time while I frequently see my Zippys balancing. Really they look and feel the same, and the difference I see could simply be the batch of cells or the day they were assembled.
I still dont think you will see much if any difference going from 20C to 30C 5000mah in any 10th scale with a 8.5 and up. Thats 100Amps continuous discharge for a 20C. If you are hitting peaks over 100amps with a 8.5 SC10 I would think something is wrong. Then again if you run a very large track with gearing thru the roof I would be wrong.
Old 12-20-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Addict

wonder how much punch and drive time will change switching from the (2) 2s 25c to the (1) 4s 40c?
Old 12-20-2009, 10:28 AM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by malik
And on the motors I havent heard much from them but I can say that HW makes good lil motors and HC rebadges some of theirs. So look at the HW site and try to determine which line at HC is them and get 1 of those. Just incase you dont know HW is hobbywing.
The cheap 13.5 with the black can and purple label runs really nice. The sensor is very close to the Hacker/Novak style setup. It has nice rip for the infield and winds up nice. Motor cooks off around 185 F. although there are some fugly vents under the purple label for onroad drivers. It could be a great spec motor for WGT or 1/12 for a club level series.

The nice looking Turnigy 9.5, 10.5 and the other aluminum can 10.5 have a sensor design problem that makes them cog badly if the sensor wire is used. The effect is exactly like when the A and C outputs get reversed in a good motor. The timing ring is NOT adjustable.
Running sensorless with a Tekin works with very little cogging. Sensorless on the Castle Sidewinder with high timing (v 1.22) runs nice and smooth. the KV is still lower than any modern 10.5 you have ever driven. I wouldn't pay $30 for another one.
Old 12-22-2009, 01:37 PM
Tech Addict

Got my Turnigy 4s 5000mah 40c today! A little more punch and definately more run time than my (2)ORION 2s 25c 3500s
Old 12-23-2009, 05:12 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

just got this in the mail today from hobbyking
have to charge it up and see how it is
Attached Thumbnails Are Turnigy Batteries faster than Zippy Flightmax?-zippy.jpg  
Old 12-23-2009, 05:21 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I have a couple of those zippys for short course racing. They work great for me. They do require alot of balancing but i balance charge everytime anyway.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.