R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   xxxtcr ball stud problem (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/353195-xxxtcr-ball-stud-problem.html)

rcdude236 12-19-2009 11:59 AM

xxxtcr ball stud problem

Alright well on my xxxtcr the only thing ive break is a ballstuds. Its on the back right. Like i dont even hit hard and it brakes. i hit a little roller at 1/2 thorttle it landed good and the ball stud broke. i have theshocks set up right. the right spacers in there the turnuckle the right length and the right side just keeps breaking. Whats the deal?

rcdude236 12-19-2009 02:55 PM

what hole do you run you studs in ands how long are your turnbuckles from end to end with the caps on? all help is much needed thanks guys

trx450racer174 12-19-2009 03:05 PM

I dont know what ball studs u are running but i was running titanium long studs in my CR before i changed it to a SC truck. As far as position i was running hole 1 on the tower and hole C on the hub with 4 or 5 washers under the stud. Threadlock your stud also the will help it from loosening up and breaking.

Dave H 12-19-2009 03:21 PM

Are you breaking the outside one, in the aluminum hub? It's very important to keep it tight. If it gets loose the aluminum is not as forgiving as plastic. We had some issues, but since checking them occasionally we rarely break one. Still have trouble, maybe try Lunsford bulkhead studs with larger outer diameter #4 washers. The little gold ones are standard thickness, so they are interchangeable.

rcdude236 12-19-2009 03:31 PM

im breaking them in the aluminum hub. with it in the c part of the hub how long to i want the turnbuckles to be? are the losi titanium studs any good? thanks

klaymon 12-19-2009 03:43 PM

Like Dave said, the most important thing is keeping them tight. That is more critical than position as far as breakage. If one gets remotely loose during a run, you can bank on breaking it, even the Ti ones. I'm in the habit of checking mine after every two runs. I don't run the Ti ones because if I do break one, I can drill out the regular ones. I've done it about 3 times now and saved myself $40 for new hubs. The Ti ones would be a bear to drill, if you even can.

rcdude236 12-19-2009 03:55 PM

my dad still works in a huuuge machine shop. So he has all the tools ill ever need. i just run over to his house and i could drop off the part and id be golden.

Kraig 12-19-2009 06:57 PM

I have heard of guys putting thread-lock on them, like previously mentioned. Just make sure that they have time to set before you go running again.

rccardude04 12-19-2009 10:34 PM

Obviously keeping the things tight is necessary. I put a bit of loctite on mine to keep 'em from backing out anyway...

However, it could also be a case of over-tightening the things as well. If you snug them down too much, you'll have a LOT of pre-stress on the thing, and the slightest tap could break it.

I've seen it happen on helicopters quite a bit, where people overtighten the feathering shaft bolts. That usually involves throwing the blades off.

-Eric

Jason J 12-21-2009 06:54 AM

ball stud problem

I had the same problem with my CR ... I was breaking ball studs all the time and getting really tired of it too..

what I did was drilled a tapped a 3mm hole and put the 1/8th scale ball stud on there.. and it never broke again.. and I also put some traxxas tie rods with the captured ball ends that are really tough...Im trying to remember the length... I think 80mm length.. but it worked really good..

xray makes the same thing...there heat treated 3mm ball studs...

If you have any other questions just let me know..

rcdude236 12-21-2009 07:31 PM

what ball stud are you using? so i gotta make the hole in the hub bigger? thanks

not home 12-21-2009 07:47 PM

the traxxas jato rear ti rod and studs are amazing, everyone who really owns one here has the conversion. i can ask one of them the exact stuff you need, you will never break another

rcdude236 12-21-2009 08:35 PM

Originally Posted by not home (Post 6749623)
the traxxas jato rear ti rod and studs are amazing, everyone who really owns one here has the conversion. i can ask one of them the exact stuff you need, you will never break another

please do. i just need something that will stop breaking so much. Will i have to do any mods to the truck? thanks for the help

rgrg2 12-21-2009 11:59 PM

Originally Posted by not home (Post 6749623)

+1

rcdude236 12-22-2009 12:07 AM

can any give me the part numbers and what all im gonna need for the jato stuff? thanks