Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
charging batteries at the track >

charging batteries at the track

charging batteries at the track

Old 12-19-2009, 06:26 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default charging batteries at the track

How are you guys charging your batteries at the track? I want to get a Ve8, but my track doesnt have any kind of outlets to charge batteries. Can i charge them off of my car or will that drain my car battery too much? I dont want to buy a generator just to charge rc batteries. any creative and cheap way to do this? thanks
Old 12-19-2009, 07:04 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Your car batt should handle that without any issues. Make sure that while charging, your auto is not running. The alternator current is noisy and can fry your rc charger. It should take a bunch of charges before you worry about affecting ability to start the auto, but if you're worried, when you're finished charging and everything is disconn, start the auto and let it recharge the batt.

You can buy a deep cycle marine batt and use that as a source and just haul it to the pits with you instead of having to go back and forth to the car. Then re-charge it between race weekends.
Old 12-19-2009, 07:20 AM
Super Moderator

I have one of them portable jump starters that you can get for around $40 keeps my charger going all day.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:04 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Yes, Clamp your charger to the battery (car not running) and go for it). I like the car boost-starter idea too (just a big battery in its own case). Just in case - use a lipo charging bag to keep from cooking some engine parts if the LiPO does "go up in flames" which really would be rare.
Old 12-19-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Regular

I saw a guy with a car battery attached to a mini-dolly once for that purpose. It was a nice setup as he had a mini table/tray with edges (mud guard style) attached about 6 inches on top of the battery for his charger to sit on.

I was impressed.
Old 12-19-2009, 10:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Yeah lots of guys charge off the car, you can even get a cigarette lighter hook up. If you look most decent chargers come with hook ups for an outlet and a car. And dont be scared o buy a ve8 they are sweet, Stormer has them for $259 right now.
Old 12-19-2009, 11:49 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

You can buy a cheep car battery and just use that instead of useing your car battery. Or a generator is what Id use.
Old 12-19-2009, 01:38 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

How many charges can i get out of a car battery if i were to buy a separate battery? I want to be able to race with my friends at the track for the whole day just like how i can with nitro. thanks for all of the replies.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Its not possible to answer that question as it depends on the size of the battery that you buy and the mah of the battery that your charging.

On a typical home depot bought $30 battery you will get an entire day out of it.
Old 12-19-2009, 03:28 PM
Tech Champion

Suggest a deep cycle/marine battery. Modern car batts are very thin plate designs and don't like being discharged very far very many times.