Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
SC10 Questions Before I buy >

SC10 Questions Before I buy

SC10 Questions Before I buy

Old 12-16-2009, 09:50 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default SC10 Questions Before I buy

Well, Actually it will be a Christmas present from my wife to me If I deicde that i want to go with this truck. I was going to go with the Traxxas Slash but the store that Its coming from is sold out for christmas. I kinda like the SC10 Better anyway, I just leaned on the Slash because I like Traxxas and there Support.
There have just been a few horror stories that I have read about with the SC10 That kinda scares me away from it and I wanted some feedback from the who have them. Oh, I will not be Racing this truck, Its just for bashing fun

I have read issues with the Motor's going out on them. Is this a common problem?, Caused by perhaps to much Voltage? I am Using a Trinity 3600 Mah and a 4600 Mah 6-cell battery packs (both are Brand new never charged as of yet). If its not a Voltage issue is it just "luck of the draw" for lack of a better way to put it?
I have also read issues with the rear Diff "clicking"? and needing a shim kit installed? Thats not a big deal to me really, I dont mind installing this if it is required but can someone please give me a Part # for this item so I can ask for it along with the truck on x-mas list.
I seen where someone said that they had ESC Failure. I have only read this once so I thought that maybe this was an Isolated case. If not, please fill me in on this.
If there is anything else that i havent learned about then please let me know before I tell my wife that I want this truck 100%
Thanks
-Will

Oh, I also noticed somewhere that it said you had to program the ESC if you are going to use a different remote? I usean M11 2.4 and I have an extra reciver for it that I would like to use if I could. I have NEVER owned an Electric Before so all this is 100% new to me so Sorry if some of these are kinda dumb questions. I am also considering a Crawler if I dont go with this truck (yeah a complete 180 I know) so I may have another thread about it
Old 12-16-2009, 10:03 PM
Tech Champion

The Sc10 is more fun than the Slash. Looks awesome to.

We're a bit spoiled by brushless motors now, anything brushed is going to seem unreliable to us. Motor isn't a big deal, you can pop anyones stock motor in when its needed. We've had better luck with Sc10's than Slash motors.

The diff is hit or miss, hard to give advice. I adjusted one of my outdrives for tighter mesh right away. It took a while to loosen up. I'm going to put the Mip ball diff in soon even though I've had no problems.

The Esc isn't hard to program at all. If you run into trouble just post it. But if you can setup your m11 without your hair catching on fire or destroying someones DVD player, then the Esc should be cake.

Playing with this truck and tuneing its suspension is the best fun in rc right now. forget the crawler.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:19 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I don't think I would buy an sc10 for bashing, it's a race truck. Mine has been very tough/durable. I think I broke 2 a-arms and one body post in 6 months of track practice 2-3 hrs per weekend, but I'm a pretty good driver.

The sc10 is a great truck all in all. For bashing I would probebly go slash. However my buddy seems to brake his slash every battery he runs lol. He's running a 5700kv with 2s lipo, so it's pretty fast. I would just order a slash online everybody got them in stock. I would get the 4x4 slash if anything right now. It cost twice as much but will in general be better in every way over the 2x4. If geared properly motor heat won't get to bad, the motors run cooler with more voltage in general. If you put in a 2.4g reciever then you might need to calibrate the esc.

As for crawlers, I love my fully built AX10. RTR they go pretty good too once you get some good tires. Hope this helps.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

+1 one on all the points from the last couple of posts, but with a few more additions:

1) You will ALWAYS have to program the ESC if you swap out your receiver/radio because the ESC needs to know where the neutral, reverse/brake, and forward range is which is what the receiver is sending out to the ESC from the input off the transmitter... Each transmitter, even the same model but different unit, will have varying ranges and center(neutral).

2) The "horror" story is usually two conditions. First was that it (ESC) was defective to begin with, this happens to any manufacturer, they can't always catch every failure before it leaves the production floor. Second is that the RTR comes already geared. But no gearing is universal, so you have to gear it accordingly to your track condition, type of tire you're using, etc...

3) 4x4 SC trucks, such as the upcoming Slash, the Hyper 10 SC, Jammin SCRT10, are probably "easier" to drive since you have 4wd. Provided you don't put something crazy in there (like a 4 turn motor or a 7700+ Kv).

But if you're wife is just getting into it, she might not notice a high-end vehicle from a basher. You might want to just on-line order a Traxxas Slash from Tower. Tower has coupons online if you spend between X and Y dollars (just check their front page), so usually, the shipping cost gets washed out from their discount...

If you do go with an Slash 2WD, get the 2.4GHz system one. I highly recommend it. The 27MHz ones are ok too, but it's just they're channel limited, so you might have to wait for that channel to free up at the track to run that truck...
Old 12-16-2009, 10:32 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by tom_chang79
+1 one on all the points from the last couple of posts, but with a few more additions:

1) You will ALWAYS have to program the ESC if you swap out your receiver/radio because the ESC needs to know where the neutral, reverse/brake, and forward range is which is what the receiver is sending out to the ESC from the input off the transmitter... Each transmitter, even the same model but different unit, will have varying ranges and center(neutral).

2) The "horror" story is usually two conditions. First was that it (ESC) was defective to begin with, this happens to any manufacturer, they can't always catch every failure before it leaves the production floor. Second is that the RTR comes already geared. But no gearing is universal, so you have to gear it accordingly to your track condition, type of tire you're using, etc...

3) 4x4 SC trucks, such as the upcoming Slash, the Hyper 10 SC, Jammin SCRT10, are probably "easier" to drive since you have 4wd. Provided you don't put something crazy in there (like a 4 turn motor or a 7700+ Kv).

But if you're wife is just getting into it, she might not notice a high-end vehicle from a basher. You might want to just on-line order a Traxxas Slash from Tower. Tower has coupons online if you spend between X and Y dollars (just check their front page), so usually, the shipping cost gets washed out from their discount...

If you do go with an Slash 2WD, get the 2.4GHz system one. I highly recommend it. The 27MHz ones are ok too, but it's just they're channel limited, so you might have to wait for that channel to free up at the track to run that truck...

+1
Old 12-16-2009, 10:42 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default AE SC10 owner

Purchased a Associated SC10 6 months ago and love it with 1 issue. The rear end is always loose. The tires are horrible.

From what I've seen, the Slash handles better and is relatively waterproof. Plus the tires are much better overall. The SC10 is not waterproof/water resistant. One plus is the SC10 can run lipo batteries. Heck, I run a 6-cell 4500 NIMH stick pack and that is plenty.

If you were getting into stock racing, the Slash is better. The SC10 tends to be the one that runs in the "open classes" when you change tires and shock springs and put in a lipo battery.
Old 12-16-2009, 10:49 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 97 (100%+)

While the SC10 is an awesome truck...

If you're seriously only going to be bashing... I would STRONGLY suggest getting the Slash...

It's just built a little beefier...
Old 12-16-2009, 10:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

I would not buy a RTR SC10, the electronics are garbage... Everyone has over heating issues with the motors and the ESC's fry to easy. I would save a few, buy a kit, enjoy building it and spend a little more on a 2.4ghz system and a brushless setup. I would recommend the Mamba sidewinder & 4600kv motor or Traxxas brushless since it's water proof.

Shimming the diffs is no longer an issue, they have addressed this in the newer kits along with the rear wheels stripping out. One thing you might also want to get is a front chassis brace and a set of the RPM front arms. It's not as durable as a Slash but it's WAY more fun to drive. Here is my SC10 with a MM 5700, which I took out after this video, it's way to much motor. Fun but the two times I have driven outside not on the track I have busted something.

+ YouTube Video
ERROR: If you can see this, then YouTube is down or you don't have Flash installed.
Old 12-17-2009, 03:12 AM
Tech Regular

+1 on the Slash 4x4

It comes out of the box ready with a 2.4 radio and the body is painted. You'll need to get the ESC soldered by any nice person you can/your LHS to deans connectors and get some lipo batteries & charger (deans connectors).

You will replace a few parts for durability as they break, but just make sure you get upgraded/stronger parts to replace them.

Probably your least hassles/fewest issues option. SC10 is a great truck, but the 4x4 comes with a 2.4, 4wd, and brushless setup from the factory. If you're just getting started, durability/reliability should be your top priority (speculation based on the 2wd Slash).

You will want to spend your time driving, not fixing your car.
Old 12-18-2009, 01:57 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seany916
You'll need to get the ESC soldered by any nice person you can/your LHS to deans connectors and get some lipo batteries & charger (deans connectors).
I've always thought performance-wise, the Traxxas connectors were comparable to the Deans?