Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Traxxas Bandit Opinions >

Traxxas Bandit Opinions

Traxxas Bandit Opinions

Old 12-16-2009, 12:25 PM
Tech Regular

Default Traxxas Bandit Opinions

I know it isn't as competitive as say an RB5 or B4, but I would really like a 2wd buggy, especially one that is "semi-durable".

Anyone owned or driven one of these? I have yet to see a single one at the tracks I go to.

Ideas? Opinions?
Old 12-16-2009, 12:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seany916
I know it isn't as competitive as say an RB5 or B4, but I would really like a 2wd buggy, especially one that is "semi-durable".

Anyone owned or driven one of these? I have yet to see a single one at the tracks I go to.

Ideas? Opinions?
I see them from time and time again at the track. They're not too bad... But if budget is tight, then my suggestion would be to shop around for a cheap FT B4, XXX-CR, or RB5 roller...

Starting with the right platform/chassis is important as you will find you want more performance and power in your vehicle later on...

Also, my suggestion is to pick a 2wd buggy that your local track supports in terms of parts... 2wd buggies aren't the most durable thing and you will definitely want parts support... Otherwise, you would have to stock on parts yourself...
Old 12-16-2009, 03:04 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

My son had a XL5 Bandit and it was quiet impressive. It got thrashed pretty bad and never broke a thing on it.
3 things that require updating (if you get the XL5 model)
1) Adjustable tie-rods - really makes a difference with performance and looks. I bought a whole set new on ebay for $9
2) 12T Titan motor is garbage. Some people have good luck with them but mine didn't even last 3 battery packs and that includes motor break in. I put a 19T Venom motor in it and then later replaced it with a brushless kit.
3) No tire foam inserts. No big deal if only bashing around but foam inserts work much better on a track.
Old 12-16-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 118 (100%+)

It's not a bad buggy , it can def. take a beating and parts are hard to break , the version out now is much better then last years , waterproof everything and i think it even has an all metal tranny if you wanna go brushless. Parts are cheap also . As for being competitive at a race track it aint so great but with a good driver anything can be good and also with a few hop ups you can make it even better. As a buggy for bashing id def. give it a thumbs up , and like the previous poster said , id def. add some good wheels and tires with foam inserts. If you plan on doing mostly street running the traxxas anacondas aint so bad...
Old 12-16-2009, 04:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

Like others have said it is a tough buggy. I got my nephew one awhile back and he could do just about anything with it. With a decent motor/ESC, tires, and some turnbuckles it will get around a track pretty decent. But it will really struggle to keep up with even the older racing chassis' from other companies. In a "rookie" or "amature" class it would be fine, but even in a stock or superstock class it would have a hard time without extensive upgrades and custom work.
If price is a big issue then I would look for a B4 or even a B3 on ebay or in the for sale forums here. The B4 is competitive with the best cars out there, while the B3 is nearly as competitive and a bit tougher.
Old 12-16-2009, 05:51 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I have driven the Bandit VXL on a decent size indoor track and it was horrible. Possibly the owner didn't know WTF he was doing in terms of setting it up. I took a few laps and gave it back.

If you ever plan to race I would suggest a B4. They are dirt cheap as rollers and while some have had issues with their toughness I have broken 1 rear arm and 1 shock tower. First was because some idiot in a Slayer went the wrong way on the straight, 2nd break was a brushless Losi 8ight landed on top of me. They are VERY tough buggies IMO, easy to work on, parts are everywhere and interchangeable with the T4 and SC10 for quite a few of them. And they are fun. RB5 is definitely better but more money and you have to buy a whole tree for a $.50 part.
Old 12-16-2009, 06:03 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

i had the vxl version on 8 cells. man that thing flew. make sure you get a wheelie bar if you get the vxl version. i took it to the track on 6 cells and didnt do to well, but that dosent say much because at the time it was only my second time running on a track. as for bashing, dosent do well in grass. mainly i used it on cement. very durable also. i dont think i bought a single part the whole time i owned it.
Old 12-16-2009, 07:13 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Traxxas Bandit

Hey i have a bandit and it seemed to jump good and everything, however when i took it to the track, an indoor track, it seemed like it couldn't turn any corners. Could this be the stock sand like tread tires on the clay or is the buggy just not capable of a tight turning radius? Turns good on the street, what do you guys thing?
Old 12-16-2009, 07:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Definitely your tires on the clay. Blue groove tracks are very picky when it comes to what grips and what doesn't.

Plus, I don't think an RTR tire on the planet is good for clay tracks. May be wrong but I haven't found one yet.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Initiate

Default Bandit

Oh ok great, ill have to try some new tires. Any recommendations on a wheel tire setup? Only stock tires that have done decent on a clay track is the Slash tires; for that vehicle it seems to grip decent.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:32 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 18 (95%+)

Originally Posted by LongIsland
Oh ok great, ill have to try some new tires. Any recommendations on a wheel tire setup? Only stock tires that have done decent on a clay track is the Slash tires; for that vehicle it seems to grip decent.
Judging by your name I assume you are referring to LIR. If so, pink BK Bars in the rear and pink 06 or 07 in the front are the tires of choice.
Old 12-17-2009, 07:41 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)

Originally Posted by seany916

Ideas? Opinions?
I thought the same thing(not competitive). Until one of my race buddies set one up to run stock buggy with.He did his homework as far as set-up is concerned. The buggy is pretty dialed once he got it set-up.He's been putting it in the A so far everyrace this winter!!
Old 12-17-2009, 07:49 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

its not made for racing it was ment for ur backyeard basher
Old 12-17-2009, 02:41 PM
Tech Initiate

Default Bandit

Yea i figured it was a backyard dog, but i am still a practice on the track kind of guy, and would like for it to be able to turn for me or a friend who wants to rip it around when i build another car. I would like to build up a race car and get into racing in the future. What do most guys run 2wd, 4wd. I saw above that you mentioned a couple of models that are good to start out with, whats the deal with this kyosho inferno ve add for 399? any good? I am totally new to racing, but i can drive cars pretty well and catch on fast. Any advice? I feel like i always see people breaking parts with these buggies.
Thanks
Old 12-17-2009, 03:32 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

u should take a long at the b4 and b44 by Team Assoicated

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.