Wiki Posts
Search

going for my first electric car, have some Q's

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)
Default going for my first electric car, have some Q's

The nearest nitro track closed down by me and sadly its time to get into electric if I want to race and not drive 50 minutes away. I'm going to get the Team Associated b4 kit with a 10.5 novak brushless and esc combo. Here is a link to the motor. http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_...tor-Combo-105T
What pinion gears should I run on this? I'm kinda lost on how to choose the right pinion gear. Novak says that the motor accepts all existing pinion gears from them. Am I safe to just buy any three pack of pinion gears? Also how many teeth should I run on the gear for this motor? I will be racing, so keep that into consideration. I don't think I'm going to get a lipo battery right now, or should I? I will also need to get a charger for the lipo if I decide to go that way. What else am I going to need for this thing? Obviously I need a servo. I already got that covered. Will I need to get dean connectors? What do dean connectors do? Any advice for a electric noob? Haha.
Old 12-14-2009, 01:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ace921000
sadly its time to get into electric if I want to race and not drive 50 minutes away.
This is a happy occasion! You're free from all the hassles of nitro and into the hassle of electric!

For a 10.5, I would start low and work your way up... I would run a FDR of about 9-ish (Spur divided by pinion, take that quantity and multiply it by transmission's ratio, which is errr I forgot what the latest Stealth is).

If you don't mind rollers, there's always someone's B4 roller up for sale. You can get a pretty good deal if you're willing to look around...

Also, shop around for ESC and Motor combos. There's lots to choose from these days... You might want to ask around in the Radio/Electronics section of the Havoc before you comit to it... See if there are quite a few difficulties with the unit...
Old 12-14-2009, 02:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Best advice I can think of is not to get the Novak. Get a Tekin RS combo!!!

Lipos are a must for any reason. Whether bashing or racing. Nimh are not worth it and with how cheap lipos are now (Hobbycity) and chargers you can get 2 batteries and a nice lipo charger for $100 shipped.

For gearing while Tom above is probably more accurate I would take the stock gearing in the kit and drop 1 on the pinion and go up one on the spur gear to start. Reason is any 10.5 motor will run faster than stock electronics so this setup will run cooler. Then you can go up and down in gears as you see fit or car allows.

Or you can break out the calculator and do some nice math!!!

Good luck and welcome to the "FUN" side of R/C.
Old 12-14-2009, 02:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

Here is a helpful link

http://www.comeseethis.com/gearing/gearing.htm
Old 12-14-2009, 03:48 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

welcome to electric. funny that you are getting into electric and i am just now getting into nitro. I am sure there are more experienced people on here to fill in the blanks or prove me wrong but I have a B4 and wanted to let you know what I have.

I run the castle creations sidewinder ESC with the 5700Kv motor. I am pretty sure that it is close to the 10.5 from novak however it is not sensored. I am not sure if ROAR is allowing sensorless systems or not. I do not race ROAR events so I could care less.

I run a 4200 mah 25c 2s lipo and a 5000mah 30c 2s lipo in the car and I can say that they are so light that you might want to get a lipo plate for it to add some weight. They are both cheap ebay batteries but I bought a electrifly Triton EQ2 charger. There are comparable chargers for much less money I have found out after my purchase.

I have the stock spur on my car with a 20T pinion (i think) It may be an 18 though. My motor temps are consistently 155-165. I could probably run a 21 with not much heat penalty now that I think about it. I have enough speed to keep up with the faster guys at my club races but I am struggling a little with set up and tire choices so I keep getting beaten by better drivers.

a suggestion about ESC/Motor combos is the Losi Xcelorin. I have had a sensorless 6400Kv in a 4wd buggy and it was a rocket. I have read on here that the early releases were prone to some problems but mine was awesome and I had no complaints. I have also seen and heard good things from/about the LRP Vector motors and the ESC they come with.

The B4 is a great car. I suggest you get yourself a rc10GT diff gear from Robinson racing and put that in the tranny. With the brushless power you will probably rip the guts out of one diff gear. Run it tight and the stock slipper setting has worked well for me. the car jumps well-although mine is bastardized for oval- and corrects well in the air with throttle and brake input. many of the higher end ESC's will let you set brake curves to mimic what you are used to in the nitro cars.

a deans connector is a high voltage connector and i use them, even though they can be a little tricky to solder to. traxxas connectors will work too. stay away from the tamiya style connectors as they can melt with a high voltage battery pack and ruin your day.

hope all my rambling helps a little.

Ben
Old 12-14-2009, 04:29 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (93%+)

you can run about a 21-22 pinion and 82 spur is what iim running! gett some lipos. get better run time and more speed! And neu is right. i got the novak and now im going with the tekin. its a better overal value.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:33 PM
Tech Regular

How do I know which pinion gear will fit on the motor?

Edit: Are pinions pretty much universal as long as they can fit over the shaft on the motor? Because can't you just tighten them on as much as you need with the grub screw? Correct me if I'm wrong.
Old 12-14-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 40 (100%+)

as long as its the same pitch. but i think mostly all brands use the same pitch.
Old 12-14-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Master

t4 right? jsut go to lhs or amainhobbies and put in 48p pinion and it will fit.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by bschanz
welcome to electric. funny that you are getting into electric and i am just now getting into nitro. I am sure there are more experienced people on here to fill in the blanks or prove me wrong but I have a B4 and wanted to let you know what I have.

I run the castle creations sidewinder ESC with the 5700Kv motor. I am pretty sure that it is close to the 10.5 from novak however it is not sensored. I am not sure if ROAR is allowing sensorless systems or not. I do not race ROAR events so I could care less.

I run a 4200 mah 25c 2s lipo and a 5000mah 30c 2s lipo in the car and I can say that they are so light that you might want to get a lipo plate for it to add some weight. They are both cheap ebay batteries but I bought a electrifly Triton EQ2 charger. There are comparable chargers for much less money I have found out after my purchase.

I have the stock spur on my car with a 20T pinion (i think) It may be an 18 though. My motor temps are consistently 155-165. I could probably run a 21 with not much heat penalty now that I think about it. I have enough speed to keep up with the faster guys at my club races but I am struggling a little with set up and tire choices so I keep getting beaten by better drivers.

a suggestion about ESC/Motor combos is the Losi Xcelorin. I have had a sensorless 6400Kv in a 4wd buggy and it was a rocket. I have read on here that the early releases were prone to some problems but mine was awesome and I had no complaints. I have also seen and heard good things from/about the LRP Vector motors and the ESC they come with.

The B4 is a great car. I suggest you get yourself a rc10GT diff gear from Robinson racing and put that in the tranny. With the brushless power you will probably rip the guts out of one diff gear. Run it tight and the stock slipper setting has worked well for me. the car jumps well-although mine is bastardized for oval- and corrects well in the air with throttle and brake input. many of the higher end ESC's will let you set brake curves to mimic what you are used to in the nitro cars.

a deans connector is a high voltage connector and i use them, even though they can be a little tricky to solder to. traxxas connectors will work too. stay away from the tamiya style connectors as they can melt with a high voltage battery pack and ruin your day.

Ben
Ben why do you think that a 10.5 have the power to "rip the gut" off the diff gear? Alot of mod drivers run 6.5,7,5 In there b4 and if never seen a diff strip. I've ran mod a long time and never strip any internal gears. If you do your doing somthing worng. Don't get the steel diff gear. No one needs this. AE trannys will take the power of a 10.5 or even a 6.5.
Old 12-14-2009, 07:23 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by bschanz

Ben
just a little fyi your castle 5700 is like a 7.5t. my novak 8.5t is 5000kv. So ya im pretty sure the the 7.5t is like a 5600 or 5700kv. so you can run a 10.5t easy!
Old 12-14-2009, 08:46 PM
Tech Regular

Sorry for asking so many dumb questions but I have to learn sooner or later! Someone recommended hobbycity in a earlier post and everything looks pretty cheap there. Is it quality stuff? Will this lipo and charger be good for me?
http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...idProduct=9514
http://www.hobbycity.com/hobbycity/s...idProduct=7028
Any other recomendations?
Old 12-14-2009, 08:50 PM
Tech Addict

No dumb questions here man. This is the place where we help each other. Welcome to electric. I converted this year too and loving it!

What nitro track closed near southlake? I know johny cool guy closed awhile back. and ya indy rc is about an hr away.
Old 12-14-2009, 08:54 PM
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by jasonwipf
No dumb questions here man. This is the place where we help each other. Welcome to electric. I converted this year too and loving it!

What nitro track closed near southlake? I know johny cool guy closed awhile back. and ya indy rc is about an hr away.
Yeah it was jcg that closed. I'm going to start racing at mikes hobby shop.