Wiki Posts
Search

Good soldering iron

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2009, 11:25 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)
Default Good soldering iron

I had an "accident" with my Weller the other day. In the year or so I have actually been soldering my own stuff I have only owned the "gun" style irons.

Yet, everytime I go to the track they have these cool rod looking ones. They seem to be a helluva lot better than what I have and after mine met the concrete of my garage a few times the other day I am in the market for a new one.

Not looking for anything real expensive and surely not top of the line. All I do is wire batteries, bullet plugs, and once in awhile some LEDs

Looking at the Hakko station but not sure if its worth it.

Thanks.
Old 12-14-2009, 11:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

I use a pair of Hakko 936 myself... Having the second one is very handy when you're soldering heat sinking objects like a battery... You can just hit it with both irons to heat it up.

The longer you hold the iron, the more heat gets pulled away by the object you're trying to solder. So I mostly solder with both irons for most things...

If you do go with a "rod" type of iron, and you pay some decent money for it, Weller sells this silvery paste you can apply to the base of the tip so that the collar doesn't fuse with the tip. It's handy if you're planning on changing the tip. If you use this paste, the tip doesn't fuse so you don't have to throw away the "wand" portion of it everytime you want to change a tip...
Old 12-14-2009, 11:43 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 28 (100%+)

if you want the best, get a metcal
Old 12-14-2009, 11:54 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

+1 Hakko 936
Old 12-15-2009, 12:05 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you do alot of soldering then something like the Hakko station is very nice. I used to build cars for people and build nimh packs for alot of racers at my old track, and having something nice was a must. Since I moved and everyone uses lipo now I really only solder Deans when I get something new, I really dont need a big station anymore. I sold my station and picked up a $15 Weller 40W from Home Depot. It does everything I need it to without a hitch. I can even solder 10 gauge wire to a deans without a problem.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:42 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by rock3ralex
if you want the best, get a metcal
The MX500. Bring $1000 +$200 for tips. For one unit...

Hhehe, they are THE best if you can afford it...
Old 12-15-2009, 04:43 AM
Tech Master

If anyone is looking for a soldering iron to solder heavy gauge wire, heavy large connectors, etc....this iron is the shizzle!

Ungar/Weller 1140A Soldering Iron (make sure it is the model 1140A as this one has the integrated tip on the heating element).

http://www.alpineglass.com/shop/detail/829

I also use this solder station. You can adjust the thermostat so the iron is not at its full heat when doing lighter work. It is really nice. The station has a thick long power cord to plug into an outlet. Then the station has its own outlet to plug in your soldering iron. It's nice not dealing with extension cords or having the iron plugged in to an outlet with the wire stretched across the counter/table.

Inland Solder Station

http://www.alpineglass.com/shop/detail/1065

Finally anyone soldering should not be without this tip cleaner. I was amazed the first time I used it!

Hakko Tip Cleaner

http://www.alpineglass.com/shop/detail/783

Old 12-15-2009, 05:00 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Originally Posted by TonysScrews
If anyone is looking for a soldering iron to solder heavy gauge wire, heavy large connectors, etc....this iron is the shizzle!

Ungar/Weller 1140A Soldering Iron (make sure it is the model 1140A as this one has the integrated tip on the heating element).

http://www.alpineglass.com/shop/detail/829

I also use this solder station. You can adjust the thermostat so the iron is not at its full heat when doing lighter work. It is really nice. The station has a thick long power cord to plug into an outlet. Then the station has its own outlet to plug in your soldering iron. It's nice not dealing with extension cords or having the iron plugged in to an outlet with the wire stretched across the counter/table.

Inland Solder Station

http://www.alpineglass.com/shop/detail/1065

Finally anyone soldering should not be without this tip cleaner. I was amazed the first time I used it!

Hakko Tip Cleaner

http://www.alpineglass.com/shop/detail/783

+1 on the Ungar Tony posted. I've had one of those for years and years. It is definitely the shiznit. I'm gonna have to try that tip cleaner. I use a simple holder from radio shack and a wet sponge to clean. Works fine, but that hakko tip cleaner looks worth a try.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:03 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I was using a Craftsman gun and it is awesome, but it's just not precise enough. I bought the Team Checkpoint TC-950 and I won't look back. It gets hot fast and stays hot while it's in use.
Old 12-15-2009, 05:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

That Team checkpoint looks like a rebadged hakko with a wrap. How much?
Old 12-15-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

About $80 at HTU and you are right- it really does look like a Hakko.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:20 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

At $20 the Weller 40W iron is great. It will do batteries with no problem. Only drawback is that the tips tend to self destruct if you leave them on too long. They are replacable but at $10 a pair.

I switched to the HAKKO 936 and love it. For $80 you get two chisel tips, one for heavy duty work and the other for light work, and a neat flame wrap.
Old 12-15-2009, 06:37 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 34 (100%+)

I bought one of these off of ebay, I use it all the time and love it. The digital display is handy for knowing what temp its at, it came with extra tips and even a spool of solder.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Soldering-Iron-S...item1e58e04cc1
Old 12-15-2009, 07:05 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I use the hakko 936. It works great and looks good too with the included flame wrap. My wrap even came pre installed so you don't have to mess around with it. It heats up quickly and has a very large range of adjustment. IMO well worth the $80
Old 12-15-2009, 07:39 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 28 (97%+)

http://www.masterappliance.com/selfign.html

Awesome unit. Have had mine for 15 years and still is mint. Super handy outdoors as well.
Attached Thumbnails Good soldering iron-ssiu2_thmb.jpg  

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.