Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Good soldering iron >

Good soldering iron

Good soldering iron

Old 12-15-2009, 07:57 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I used to use an old Weller soldering gun that I picked up when I was building kit radios in college. Its fine for small scale work, but runs into probs doing deans - not enough tip mass to provide high enough temps for good joints. I caught an AMain sale on the Hakko 936 (def worth the $65 I paid for mine) an use it now for everything except building packs (Weller 80 for packs).

If you're going to be into this, just get the 936, its an investment that will pay every time you turn it on.

The TC station has got to be made by Hakko for them, its identical down to the hole in the sponge!
Old 12-15-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Originally Posted by johnnyboy
http://www.masterappliance.com/selfign.html

Awesome unit. Have had mine for 15 years and still is mint. Super handy outdoors as well.
I recommend portable gas irons as well. I have the Weller Portasol. Have had it for over 7 years and am just now replacing the tips. I really like the fact that I don't need electricity to use it.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Blue Flame Hakko 936. It's always done what I needed it to do and it looks sweet.
Old 12-15-2009, 08:45 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

+1 for the Hakko

I just got one of these last week and after using a Weller gun style for years the Hakko is much easier and faster for me. Well worth the money.....even if my wife doesn't agree....
Old 12-15-2009, 08:58 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

i agree that a soldering gun isn't the way to go, but with more and more of us going all-LiPO and brushless and nobody really having a reason to be building our own battery packs or changing motors between heats I just don't see the investment worthwhile when a $15 weller iron heats up just as fast and works plenty good.

it's worse than having a gold-plated $100 phillips screwdriver in your toolbox when most of your fasteners are allen heads
Old 12-15-2009, 09:26 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Wow, Did not expect 2 pages of responses that fast!

It seems like overall the 936 has the most votes and because I have a dealer account with them I was already leaning that way so thanks for the suggestions.

All the ones pictured have wraps already on them so I just need to pick a color..............
Old 12-15-2009, 09:53 AM
Tech Champion

Default Hakko 936

I have an 80 watt Weller iron (not a station, wand and plug only) it deosn't really get hot enough to safely solder Esc's batteries and such. I just use it for wire to wire connections and toss it in my pit box so I don't have to pack my Hakko.

My Hakko 936 solder station blows it away. Seems to be able to solder things without heat soaking them. Real fast real clean, way, way less dwell time. Just have to keep on eye out for the blinking light before soldering.

I use Hudy ultimate solder. It may be overpriced solder, but it never fails, so I don't mind the extra cost, if there is any?

Best RC tool I have. (and its competeing with a Hudy setup station)
Old 12-15-2009, 10:06 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

I own a few solding devices including a Hakko 936, a very nice Iroda butane powered iron and a big nasty 80 watt stick that I used to build battery packs with. The problem I'am having is with ESC wires. Had some trouble with a GTB awhile back and a Mamba Max Pro really gave me fits last weekend replacing the motor wires to the board. It seems like all the heat I put the the board went straight to the heat sink. I finally got them on but man...what a royal PITA. Anyone have tips on soldering around heat sinks.
Old 12-15-2009, 10:16 AM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by Lowrance
I own a few solding devices including a Hakko 936, a very nice Iroda butane powered iron and a big nasty 80 watt stick that I used to build battery packs with. The problem I'am having is with ESC wires. Had some trouble with a GTB awhile back and a Mamba Max Pro really gave me fits last weekend replacing the motor wires to the board. It seems like all the heat I put the the board went straight to the heat sink. I finally got them on but man...what a royal PITA. Anyone have tips on soldering around heat sinks.
Exactly, my weller can't keep up! But my Hakko at full tilt seems to work ok at this. Obviously you tried your hakko?

Might need a good/better flux paste to get the solder to flow quicker onto the board.
Old 12-15-2009, 11:39 AM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 2 (75%+)

Originally Posted by Lowrance
1 word = flux

everyone is under the impression that heat alone gets the job done, or the use of rosin core solder, when in reality just a dab of flux on both pre-tinned items your trying to solder and the solder flows easily and quickly. even using a little 40w weller with a pencil tip
Old 12-15-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

i hear the lrp is great if u have the money to afford it though because it is expensive
Old 12-15-2009, 12:41 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by justanotherdude
1 word = flux

everyone is under the impression that heat alone gets the job done, or the use of rosin core solder, when in reality just a dab of flux on both pre-tinned items your trying to solder and the solder flows easily and quickly. even using a little 40w weller with a pencil tip

Yes, the guy who taught me how to solder swore by the stuff so i bought a can. Weeks later i went to the track and because I don't bring my iron with me to the track most times I asked them to wire up a plug for me. Mentioned Flux and he said it was a terrible idea.
Never understood why. Works for me.
Old 12-15-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

All the hand solderers at work use flux and we build things like medical robotic catheters and 8 foot networking towers so I'm thinking flux is a good idea.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:01 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Neu_Racer
I had an "accident" with my Weller the other day. In the year or so I have actually been soldering my own stuff I have only owned the "gun" style irons.

Yet, everytime I go to the track they have these cool rod looking ones. They seem to be a helluva lot better than what I have and after mine met the concrete of my garage a few times the other day I am in the market for a new one.

Not looking for anything real expensive and surely not top of the line. All I do is wire batteries, bullet plugs, and once in awhile some LEDs

Looking at the Hakko station but not sure if its worth it.

Thanks.
Hakko 936 is the best I have ever used.
Old 12-15-2009, 01:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Flux is what makes a clean joint by reducing any oxidation. Cleaner joint = better connection.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.