Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
LRP X12/Orion Vortex Comparison >

LRP X12/Orion Vortex Comparison

LRP X12/Orion Vortex Comparison

Old 12-12-2009, 01:51 PM
Tech Master

Default LRP X12/Orion Vortex Comparison

Guys, I race on loose dirt oval tracks with an electric sprint on buggy tires and at times am looking for a smoother power delivery on the super loose tracks. I have the LRP SXXTC speedo set at 1 on the punch and still have issues with too much tire spin mid to exit. For motors I have been running LRP X12 6.5-8.5s with 12.5mm rotors. I am going to get a couple 12mm rotors to test with based off of some great assistance from my local offroad racers and buddies but was curious how the Orion Vortex motors compare in torque and drivability. I am not complaining about LRP stuff because its been fantastic, just looking for options to add to what I already have that might have a smoother power delivery like a quad wind used to have in brushed motors. Thanks for any assistance.

Doug
Old 12-12-2009, 03:26 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 14 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doug Gaut View Post
Guys, I race on loose dirt oval tracks with an electric sprint on buggy tires and at times am looking for a smoother power delivery on the super loose tracks. I have the LRP SXXTC speedo set at 1 on the punch and still have issues with too much tire spin mid to exit. For motors I have been running LRP X12 6.5-8.5s with 12.5mm rotors. I am going to get a couple 12mm rotors to test with based off of some great assistance from my local offroad racers and buddies but was curious how the Orion Vortex motors compare in torque and drivability. I am not complaining about LRP stuff because its been fantastic, just looking for options to add to what I already have that might have a smoother power delivery like a quad wind used to have in brushed motors. Thanks for any assistance.

Doug
If your looking at Orion motors, make sure you get a version two(turns printed on the can instead of timing plate), they dont explode. They also have a bit more power. I have found though that the Orion motors are not as punchy as the lrp motors. The guys with the LRP motors at the track have gone to smaller rotors on their 2 wheel buggies to smooth them out. Another thing you could try is to get lower C rating batteries and that too will smooth out throttle. I like the Orion 30C because they smooth out the power on the mods.
Old 12-12-2009, 06:31 PM
Tech Master

Thanks for the input!
Old 12-12-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

go up in your wire gague can help to
Old 12-12-2009, 10:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Doug i've had awesome luck with the LRP speed controls and novak motors. The novak's tend to have more rpm less torque than some of the other motors. I also ran a trinity 5.5 duo towards the end of last year. Absolutely loved that motor, always had more power than needed and never got over 125 degrees. I also always ran my punch setting on 2.

Might try one of the novak lite motors as well, i've never tried one but the theory behind it sounds like what you might need.
Old 12-13-2009, 08:34 AM
Tech Master

Which Novak motors, the new Ballistic ones? Keep in mind that we have much less traction than you guys up in IL do. Big Bills is like racing on carpet compared to our tracks down here. LOL
Old 12-13-2009, 08:40 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

The ballistic motors and the old velocity motors have the same kv ratings. Number wise they are the same. I've heard people say the ballistic motors are faster, i couldn't tell a difference between my SS 8.5 and 8.5 ballistic in my offroad car.