Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Shock question

Search this Thread

Old 12-11-2009, 10:49 PM
Tech Elite

Default Shock question

I have a little problem with my DF03. The shocks are soft enough so the car is not that bouncy (there is still some bounce) on the rough (very rough track, most cars have this problem) but they're too soft for landing big jumps so the car slaps the bottom on the ground. Considering my skills are not top and I so I can not finely tune my speed or flight posture on jumps to make sure I land nicely and the bottom doesn't slap, what can I do to the shocks to get some pack but keep the softness?

I am thinking softer oil (I have the kit oil at the moment), one hole pistons (I have three hole right now) and 100% rebound.

I need to mention of course I am not going to put any mmoney in this, so upgrades are ruled out form the outset. I am looking at a tuning solution based around kit hardware.
Old 12-12-2009, 01:56 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Hmm, the DF-03 buggies felt a bit too "soft" to my taste also, and like you stated, too thick of an oil, this thing will be all over the place...

It's hard to tune it out if you don't want to spend some money. But here's the thing with the Tamiya pistons:

They are TOO freaking thin! If you use any weight oil above 50wt (AE/Losi weight), you end up snapping the pistons.

What you CAN do to make it take better jumps is STIFFER springs. Although, I'm already using the stiffest springs in my Buggy, in the three-color spring kit I bought (Gold, Silver, and Black).

I'm running the Black springs, front and rear, with 40wt oil front and rear. With the same BLACK one-hole pistons front and rear. The WHITE MS pistons are worthless, they are waaaay too thin for whatever the material is (nylon?) and it snapped on me everytime.

The BLACK pistons that came with your DF-03ra seems to hold up better...

What's weird is, this DF-03 chassis has one of the best balances I've seen in a 4wd... I usually bias my front with +5/+10 wt in the front as opposed to the rear oil, but the DF-03 seems to like a near-symmetrical setup front and rear for the oil and the springs...

My B44 usually has 45wt in the front, 35wt in the rear, with Blue springs front and silver rear...

If you can invest in a little bit of dough, I would definitely look into stiffer springs to be able to take the harder jumps, but keep the oil in 35-40wt (AE or Losi weight) range to be able to soak up some of the ruts and bumps...