Tekin Vs Castle

Old 12-08-2009, 02:34 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

I would get the 1900, I think it would work good on many tracks, if it is to much on your small track you can just adjust the throttle in the software to suit your needs.
Old 12-08-2009, 03:50 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I agree on 4s if I were to buy another motor it would be the 1900 all day. You can gear it for how ever much speed you need. And if you ever get to a monster track you can put a 5S on there. If your not running anywhere Roar though I would look into 5S for the efficiency and lower temps. Its cheaper to get another lipo than another motor, unless you find 1 for a steal. Also the more cells you go up you can even shed a few grams with your battery if you get the correct mah, like the ones I mentioned earlier.
Old 12-08-2009, 04:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

This is always helpful for new users.

Old 12-08-2009, 06:57 PM
Tech Initiate

http://www.rctech.net/forum/electric...le-motors.html I ordered a couple of these babies, 1800kv one should be perfect for 4s.
Old 12-09-2009, 09:14 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Marzac2
This is always helpful for new users.

Given the chart it would appear that the 1700 or 1900 would be better. Since i do not plan on running 5s.. 1900 would appear to be better for me than the 1700.

My question now is, would this same setup perform as well in a truggy as it would in my buggy ?
Old 12-12-2009, 08:07 PM
Tech Master

well, for which to go with?? there both good,having ran the 1/8 scale champs at Revelation myself as well, I "First Time Used" the Tekin RX8's at this race though did not get a chance to "Compleatly" find there "Potential" for the "Little" i did have a chance to use them.
(was using LRP SPX8's up untill the day before this race)

but what i can say for the Tekin's
i would have to say, there "Very Smooth" and they have a fair amount of different settings to acomidate driving styles,

the Castle's are very good as well !!
"personaly" i have not come across hearing too many problems with the Mamba ESC's ?? but there may be, personaly i do not know?
i "Bought" couple of the Castle's there "TOUGH" not as "Smooth" as the Tekin's, so if you may want to consider this?

but this was at a "Dead Stop" however once the car is starting to roll you wont tell much of a difference, a pro might where they can feel the difference of .00000000003 seconds on a track?
so the "Coging Effect" is negligeble from a "Dead Stop"
a "Crawler" you may not like the Castle, the Tekin would be way better for this appication.
however the Tekin is Smoother still......

i use 4S as well on 2250Kv-2000Kv motors and 1900Kv motors.
like both they can be programed to different variations.
even on 4S with the Tekin's for the little time i had with the ESC's there temps were on "Average" with most on the market maybe a bit "Cooler" the Motors however! (T8) seem to be Slightly more Effcient than others on the market have used there motors with my LRP's (SPX8's) and the Castle's and there a little better than most of the motors on the market.
had "Several" Vector8 motors all just "Failing for no reasons? only one Neu ever went? but that was from something else.
the T8's have not had "Long enough" to give fair evaluation? but so far seem better than most.
out of the 4 T8's only ever had one go? though at the "Worst of timing" in the open A main Truggy! at the electric 1/8 scale champs! However in all fairness, there tech support from the team was great!

but out of the 2 the Castle or the Tekin,
both seem to be well thought out, tech support is good, and both can be "Programed"
one is Sensored(RX8) and one is not(Mamba)
"Seporate" programing hardware is needed for both, Castle's Include there's the Tekin's are sold seprately (cost Unknown?)
though Tekin's ESC has the "Onboard" ability to program some functions that are very helpfull,where you also have Led's for your Guages, that help alot. like Drag brake,Reverse,curent limiter,Neutral width,throttle profile,Motor Type,and vey Important! Voltage Cut-off
so these vaious options may or may not be a "Factor" for your choice.....

Castle's there is Soldering for the battery plugs.
and "Bullet Connectors" those "plug Into the ESC"

the Tekin's you will have to have some Soldering skills, as you will need to put your own "Wires on the Power Posts" this may seem Intimidating for some, it is easy, personaly i did not have a problem? but i come from a "Electric Background" from racing in 1/0 scale for many years.....
if you do not feel compleatly confident in this ask your local hobby shop? or have someone that can, i "Think" but i am not sure? but i think Tekin has a video to help with the Application for Installing the wires?
this may or may not be a factor.

but if you have to have it "Smooth" no matter what, the Tekin RX8, XeRun150-A, or the LRP SPX8 are the way to go!

tekin's roughly around 180.00-190 street price.(sensored)
Mamba's roughly around 150.00-160 street price.(unsensored)
LRP SPX8 roughly around 175.00 street price.(sensored)
XeRun 150-A roughly around 130.00 street price.(sensored/unsensored)
Old 12-14-2009, 08:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

dude whaz up !!!
hey man your being pretty resurved with what happend with your ESC's at the 1/8 scale Champs!!
didnt you go through 3 of those rx8's? 2 in one day? and you never crashed! your first run it stoped at the line your seconds run it did not look like you were pressing it? your 3rd run it fried? and your main it "Failed just as you were going to take the lead!!"
what happened??
we got the vid from your main i'll send some clips! was cool! even 4 minutes down when you got back on the track it looks like you got "ONE" of your laps back!!
and what body was that you were using? it wasnt a Stock RC8T?
Old 12-14-2009, 09:55 AM
Tech Initiate

hey guys!
first of all I would like to apologize for my english but I am from Germany and school is long ago...

I am reading rctech for several weeks now, as I am converting my Losi 8ight-T 2.0 from Nitro to electric.
For conversion I will use the Tekno RC Conversion Kit which I already ordered and received.
Since this year rules in germany only allow 4S hardcase Lipos with a max. amount of 5500mah. So I will use a 4S Setup without considering that 5S might have better efficiency.
In the past I wanted to buy the Tekin 2250 Truggy Motor with a Tekin RX8 ESC. But then I found the rc-monster.com Forum and read about many issues with the T8 rotor and ESC as well.
So the focus came on the MMM with a 2200 Castle Neu Motor. Also availability for caste systems is better in germany (or europe in general). There is only one dealer in germany who sells the Tekin Systems and he is waiting for new units since 3-4 weeks now.
I like the fact that the T8 is sensorless and I heard that it might be a bit more efficient. But sensored or not should be negligible when using the Teckno Kit and it's electric clutch.
Also I like the fact that the castle link will come along with the MMM and the equivalent from Tekin not. This makes the Tekin Set more expensiv than the castle Set.
But I do not know if the BEC from the MMM will get along with 2 strong, digital Servos. I did not find a specification about the Amps the BEC will get along with. The Tekin Set provides 5A which should be enough.
You see, I am totally lost with this decision... So please hekp me with that

One Question that I hope is easier to answer: Would be a system with 1900kv or 2000kv be more efficient than the 2250/2200 on 4S?

Thanks in advance,
a totally lost electric newbie
Old 12-14-2009, 10:36 AM
Team Tekin

Originally Posted by NitroViper6
dude whaz up !!!
hey man your being pretty resurved with what happend with your ESC's at the 1/8 scale Champs!!
didnt you go through 3 of those rx8's? 2 in one day? and you never crashed! your first run it stoped at the line your seconds run it did not look like you were pressing it? your 3rd run it fried? and your main it "Failed just as you were going to take the lead!!"
what happened??
we got the vid from your main i'll send some clips! was cool! even 4 minutes down when you got back on the track it looks like you got "ONE" of your laps back!!
None of Blade's ESCs "fried" if I remember right, they both had the solder problem that is already a known issue and has already been fixed.
Old 12-14-2009, 10:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 73 (100%+)

Originally Posted by specc
Given the chart it would appear that the 1700 or 1900 would be better. Since i do not plan on running 5s.. 1900 would appear to be better for me than the 1700.

My question now is, would this same setup perform as well in a truggy as it would in my buggy ?
I run a Tekin 1700KV on 5 and 4S all the time in my 8E. When I run 5S packs I run 13/48 gearing and when I run 4S I run 16/48. Speed is about the same and so is run time. Great motor and, to me, it seems like the MMM ESC has more punch. Also the fact that it comes with the castle link and the software is free is a big plus. I still cant see how adding a Hotwire with a complete Tekin system would break their profit margin
Old 12-14-2009, 05:44 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by NitroViper6
dude whaz up !!!
what happened??

easy Viper, easy......LOL
but i know what ya mean...no it Techincaly did not fry but i know your "Figure of Speach", there was a Technical issue and I was Only happy to relay the Issue, sure was a bit frustrating,understandable but "Things Happen" and i do believe they will be sure to take care of everything
and for now i am just "Using the Mamba's cause there isnt anything else available in my areas? if one of the stores "Had a Tekin" in stock i probally would have gotten another one
so no i havent Given up on Tekin's i have Faith in there Products and like all things there are Phases, i think of it like this i was just testing something and it just had a few glitches thats all
i would like to re-asure anyone it is just one of those things "It Happenes" i know at that race i felt like i "Let People Down" as well as some of my sponsors, but they all understood and like to point out TY, Jim, and Randy were VERY Helpful with getting me rolling.
Jim even made sure to go out of his way to see to it if i had something to "Use" for my Mains- but i was lucky enough one of my Sponsors let me Borrow one of his in My "Auxiliary Truck" the one you seen on my last 6minutes of the main, and we found out what happened to the first one (truck) one was just one of those "Race Related Things"
for the Body your right it wasn't a Stock RC8T is one of the ones we "Make" i just cant get used to the "My truck looks Steped on Look" with the newer bodies, so i made one it's Lower than the Punisher, and "Narrower" but was a "Prototype" a new one is already in the works, but this is not about me LOL
the issues for the ESC were just at that race, and there products are top notch there Motors as well i cant say enough! there better and more Efficient than the others i have tried.
the whole thing here was TEKIN vs. CASTLE i wouldnt say one is better than the other? i would say one has different options than the other,something i was pointing out
i mean if you were say a construction worker? and used your truck "On the Job" daily, you wouldnt get a Volkswagen Beetle??

same for the Mamba's and tekins there are different options for different applications, have to say the Tekin has more Program functions, with the Hotwire.

motor Wise, been running 1900Kv in my Buggies, and 2000Kv and 2250Kv in my trucks on 4S back east ran the 1900Kv in my Buggy and was way more than i needed
with Digital servos, i run a "Power Cap" just in case on my Reciever.
the BEC's from Either will be spot on
Old 12-15-2009, 01:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Randy_Pike
Followed by a close 2nd "Which Tekin system do you want!?"
Like what Warren G said one time, I want 'em all, all, all!
Old 02-23-2010, 08:49 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

my question is which one seems to be more reliable. I have a Tekin motor now, but my LRP isnt working anymore. Thx guys.
Old 02-24-2010, 01:54 AM
Tech Master

well BK, i'll say this we "Both Know" which ones are not "Failing" so pretty much makes them reliable at "Our Track" heck even the Owner wont carry "BRAND X" but he'll carry Castle's, ORION's and a couple others....but now that the LRP's are out more(SPX8's) i bet he'll carry those too??
motors? the TEKIN's are DIALED!! the newer VECTOR 8's way better than the first batch! (Loving mine in my buggy!)
but for the buggy for sure get the new SPX8 a Castle or a XeRun but i would stay clear of "Brand X" (2 more failed Friday,3 more failed on Sunday)