Rustler or Slash

Old 12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Rookie

Default Rustler or Slash

Hi,
We have a 9 year old that wants to start racing. We are looking at the Rustler VXL, Slash, and Slash VXL. He want to race and jump in the dirt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Old 12-07-2009, 02:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by tbrown801
Hi,
We have a 9 year old that wants to start racing. We are looking at the Rustler VXL, Slash, and Slash VXL. He want to race and jump in the dirt. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
i would go with the slash it is durable car and you can race with it which slash? 1/10 brushed or brushless / 1/16 slash vxl
Old 12-07-2009, 02:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

Save your money on the vxl. Though some may not agree, your 9 year old does not need a motor that fast, and will probally get discouraged because he will not be able to handle the power on the track. Its easier, expecially for kids, to learn slower then progressively go faster.

Also the slower it is the less likely it will break during a crash.

As for racing. Slash over the Rustler hands down, heres why.

The Rustler is not competitive versus other more dominate stadium trucks that are on the market. Strictly from a racing stand point the rustler is already the under dog out of the box, the RC 10T4 would be your best bet for out of the box stadium truck racing IMO.

The slash is the most popular sc truck, and there is normally a stock slash class at nearly every track. It is also a good truck for playing with in the yard and jumping. If your 9 year old wanted to race he would be in a competitive class with the slash, but they are controlable, and all trucks should be equal.

If I was buying for my son and had the same question as you, I would buy the slash.

Good luck, and have fun.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 9 (100%+)

My vote goes for the slash as well. To quote one of our local racers, "It's built like a brick outhouse".
And I would also keep it stock to start off with. Then when he's totally comfortable with it, you can always get a brushless.

My 7 year old just started racing my slash at our club, and he absolutely loves it. Because it's not too fast, he quickly got used to handling it.
Old 12-07-2009, 03:33 PM
Tech Apprentice

Arrow Rustler

Rustler, it will get him aware of the speed. All you have to do is tape a piece of foam right where the trigger is to limit the speed. Rustler is very durable as well as slash. But Rustler won't need expensive mods to make it really fast. Because it already is!!
Old 12-07-2009, 09:24 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

My vote is for slash as well. I agree with what the other guys are saying plus the parts are cheap and easy to find. Plus you can upgrade to brushless if you want later.
Old 12-07-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Just a FYI guys, all the current Traxxas ESCs on the market right now, whether it be the XL-10 or the Velineon VXL-3S, can be put into training mode that cuts the power output by half. It'll stay that way until someone disables it, so it's not something that needs to be turned on repeatedly.
Old 12-07-2009, 11:50 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 14 (94%+)
Default slash

you could get the slash vxl put it on trainer mode until he gets better then you just hold down a button instead of buying a upgrade later
Old 12-08-2009, 01:04 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I purchased a brushed Slash for my 7 yr old. He drives the crap out of it and so far has only broke one of the rear carriers that I replaced with aluminum pieces.

Its more than enough for him for now but I imagine that very soon I'll have to install a brushless setup in it or maybe just purchase a brushless RTR and sell the Slash.
Old 12-08-2009, 06:05 AM
Tech Rookie

Originally Posted by sLaSh It UPP
i would go with the slash it is durable car and you can race with it which slash? 1/10 brushed or brushless / 1/16 slash vxl
Which would be better for a 9 year old to race, the 1/10 brushed or brushless 1/16 slash vxl? Do they race in different classes?
Old 12-08-2009, 06:16 AM
Tech Fanatic

The 1/10th scale is going to be better. I don't think racing the 1/16th Slash is very common place at most tracks... on the other hand racing 1/10th Slashes are a dime a dozen. Go with the brushed verson, we still race box stock slashes at our tracks, and it's still plenty fast. If he gets "good" and wants to go faster, you can always upgrade. This way if he loses interest your not out and extra $100 for the VXL

Jay
Old 12-08-2009, 06:30 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (92%+)

There are not many tracks that DONT run some sort of class for the stock slash, it is the most popular class for casual racing in the country I would say.
Old 12-08-2009, 09:09 AM
Tech Initiate

Ever thought of getting a Blitz for him? It's very durable and more raceworthy out of the box than the slash is hands down IMHO. A great truck for a beginner racer and even the veteran who runs in modified classes.
Old 12-08-2009, 12:33 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Originally Posted by SC10 Rookie
Ever thought of getting a Blitz for him? It's very durable and more raceworthy out of the box than the slash is hands down IMHO. A great truck for a beginner racer and even the veteran who runs in modified classes.
i would agree, but a 9 year old is gonna wanna take it off road and a blitz won't get as far in the rough stuff with the low chassis.

to the OP, don't get him a 1/16 slash vxl. they are very fast and very twitchy. i drove my buddies mini revo and its just crazy. they break pretty easy too. i'd stick with a 1/10 slash. leave it stock while he gets used to it. maybe run 7-cell if ur worried about lack of power. instead of a vxl system, maybe look into a spec racing motor like a 17.5. he could race in the "stock" classes and it would be more controllable.
Old 12-08-2009, 02:33 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by tbrown801
Which would be better for a 9 year old to race, the 1/10 brushed or brushless 1/16 slash vxl? Do they race in different classes?
yes a 1/10 brushed would be perfect because it isnt really fast and it is not slow

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.