Wiki Posts
Search

Another Noob question

Search this Thread

Old 12-06-2009, 01:18 PM
Tech Apprentice

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Another Noob question

Hello, sorry for making so many threads asking all these questions, but i dont want to damage my new car. So I just installed a Novak 10.5 Gtb brushless in my B44. I am hearing clicking noises after the car has accelerated and is coasting. I dont know if this is a normal sound for this engine or not. I have checked my gear meshing but it seems to be fine. Any ideas? Thanks again for any help.
Old 12-06-2009, 01:43 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 12 (100%+)

Originally Posted by rememberthis
Hello, sorry for making so many threads asking all these questions, but i dont want to damage my new car. So I just installed a Novak 10.5 Gtb brushless in my B44. I am hearing clicking noises after the car has accelerated and is coasting. I dont know if this is a normal sound for this engine or not. I have checked my gear meshing but it seems to be fine. Any ideas? Thanks again for any help.
go back and check the front and rear diff shims. there are 3 on one side and 2 on the other....I did this where the shims were on opposite sides and it was too loose and stripped.. When you shim them, make sure they are not too tight or too loose. It may be that you hear a stripped diff gear.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:13 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thanks Bhodi, I checked the diffs but it seems that they are ok. I just loosened the motor and pulled it out and it appears that the noise is coming from the contact with the pinion and the large gear on the body. Maybe the meshing was not set up correctly?
Old 12-06-2009, 02:14 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

The B44's at my track have a little bit of dogbone (CVD) chatter. It could just be that. You definitely want to make sure your diffs are shimmed and adjusted correctly though. My DF-03 also has some dogbone chatter. It doesn't affect the performance, but it is a little annoying.
Old 12-06-2009, 02:31 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by forwardonly
The B44's at my track have a little bit of dogbone (CVD) chatter. It could just be that. You definitely want to make sure your diffs are shimmed and adjusted correctly though. My DF-03 also has some dogbone chatter. It doesn't affect the performance, but it is a little annoying.
it is probably the pinion meshed too deep into the spur. reset the mesh and i bet you will be fine

ben
Old 12-06-2009, 02:36 PM
Tech Apprentice

Ok, as far as I can tell, I have adjusted the diffs, to a medium setting, i.e., not too tight not too loose. Does this refer to shimming or just the adjusting part? Also, It sounds like the large flywheel touching the pinion slips a little when the motor slows down, I am positive this is not happening as I have pretty thoroughly set the gear meshing. Also, I know its not the clutch slipper as I have already dealt with this. I think it may be the so-called "dogbone" chatter. Prior to my novak motor, I was using a Mamba max that did not result in the sound I am hearing now. Maybe it is just the difference in motors? Nonetheless, I appreciate all the info.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (92%+)

Ok, as far as I can tell, I have adjusted the diffs, to a medium setting, i.e., not too tight not too loose. Does this refer to shimming or just the adjusting part? Also, It sounds like the large flywheel touching the pinion slips a little when the motor slows down, I am positive this is not happening as I have pretty thoroughly set the gear meshing. Also, I know its not the clutch slipper as I have already dealt with this. I think it may be the so-called "dogbone" chatter. Prior to my novak motor, I was using a Mamba max that did not result in the sound I am hearing now. Maybe it is just the difference in motors? Nonetheless, I appreciate all the info.
It sounds like the diffs not shimmed right. Shims are like thin spacers, there behind the bearings on the diff. Sounds you need to add some.
Old 12-06-2009, 04:09 PM
Tech Regular

Look VERY carefully at your spur gear (the big one that the motor's gear meshes with) and make sure there's not a tiny (or large) rock/pebble/sand/whatever in there.

If there is, pick it out with a small flathead screwdriver or x-acto knife.

-Eric
Old 12-06-2009, 06:14 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Thanks Bhodi, I checked the diffs but it seems that they are ok. I just loosened the motor and pulled it out and it appears that the noise is coming from the contact with the pinion and the large gear on the body. Maybe the meshing was not set up correctly?

The best way to get a good mesh correctly between the Spur (the big gear) and the pinion (the one attached to your motor) is by feeding a small strip of printer paper between the teeth, squeeze the spur and the pinion together, then remove the strip of paper after you tighten the motor screw...

The printer paper's thickness is a near perfect gap for 48-pitch and 0.5 metric pitch gears...
Old 12-06-2009, 09:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

make sure you lube all bearings frequently and also look at the drive shafts and dog bones