Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Calling all short course racers! I need help! >

Calling all short course racers! I need help!

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Calling all short course racers! I need help!

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2009, 11:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)
Default Calling all short course racers! I need help!

Went to the lhs today in a blizzard We were the only people there Anyways I picked up rims and tires for my slash to race the mod class but I picked up 2 diff. compounds on the proline bow-ties. I picked up soft and medium, what a dummy I didn't even bother to look I'm not going to return them so I will need to know which I should run up front and in back (soft or medium)? It's brushless if you needed to know that
Old 12-10-2009, 11:30 AM
Tech Champion

I would put the soft on the rear. With the right setup its easy to dial steering into a slash, so haveing the stickies on the rear should be best.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:31 AM
Tech Adept

double post
Old 12-10-2009, 11:32 AM
Tech Adept

Depends on track surface.

Soft compound is for high traction surfaces like packed clay or carpet. The harder compound is best for softer dirt.
Old 12-10-2009, 11:36 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

In general then? Best for all around?
Old 12-10-2009, 09:30 PM
Tech Regular

On a 2wd car, I prefer to have more traction in the rear as that is where the power is. When I'm lazy, I leave my Slash's very worn down stock tires on the front and only change out the rears to Proline Calibers on indoor clay tracks. I like to run my Slash up & down the street at night using the original tires (I have a light kit so I can see it at night). Steering is fine at the track even with the huge disparity in traction; I run a brushless system on it.

I also like to run my suspension softer in back for the same reason.

I would definitely run the softer compound in back and harder in front in all track conditions. Truthfully, you might not even notice the difference. Bowties give awesome forward bite with less sidebite, which should be great for the Slash (which has a lot of steering in my opinion). After running a few laps, try swapping out the front tires for the stock ones and see how they run for you. It may work for you to run stock tires up front and vary the tires in back depending on conditions (soft for wet/damp/rough and medium for dry, smooth, or really, really hot conditions).

For bashing or running on ashphalt/hard hard surface, I'd run the harder ones in back to hopefully wear them out slower, but I usually use old crappy tires for that kind of driving.

Again, you probably won't notice that big a difference. For all-around, go medium/front & soft/back. You won't go wrong with the bowties. In the end, it's what suits YOUR driving style.

My driving style is all about staying off my lid. Fewer broken parts, lower lap times, and I stay in control of my car.