Community
Wiki Posts
Search

very new to RC

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:50 PM
Tech Rookie

Default very new to RC

hello i am Rob from N Huntsville AL and i am Very Very new to RC well other than Wal-Mart and Toys R Us style RC cars/Trucks.

So my Son is wanting a RC car for Xmas this year 2009 and my wife told me that a guy at her work had one he would sell for about $50 the brand is Kyosho Ultima RB electric car. it comes with a bunch of parts extra motor......
all i need to get is rear tires and a battery.

can anyone give any feed back about this car?

oh the guy said the car is about 2 yrs old.

from what i can find about it online it looks like that car ran about $250 or so.
i do see that Kyosho is now making a RB5 but i think that is an upgrade or something not sure.

thanks
Rob
Old 12-03-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Fanatic

Not sure about that model but I would prob get him a slash, there very durible and youcan pick one up for around $200 ready to run.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:18 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Yeah I would get him the slash. A lot more durable and parts will be much easier to find than the ultima rb.
Old 12-03-2009, 07:26 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by lookieaefanboi
Yeah I would get him the slash. A lot more durable and parts will be much easier to find than the ultima rb.
+1 either a Slash or HPI Blitz... depending on parts
Old 12-03-2009, 08:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by plack75
+1 either a Slash or HPI Blitz... depending on parts
ditto!

The slash is the most versatile Rc truck around. You can take it off 10ft jumps all day with out any problems and then go race at your local club that evening. And on top of that, they are cheap and come with a 2.4ghz radio!
Old 12-04-2009, 12:21 AM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

Originally Posted by robjiii
hello i am Rob from N Huntsville AL and i am Very Very new to RC well other than Wal-Mart and Toys R Us style RC cars/Trucks.

So my Son is wanting a RC car for Xmas this year 2009 and my wife told me that a guy at her work had one he would sell for about $50 the brand is Kyosho Ultima RB electric car. it comes with a bunch of parts extra motor......
all i need to get is rear tires and a battery.

can anyone give any feed back about this car?

oh the guy said the car is about 2 yrs old.

from what i can find about it online it looks like that car ran about $250 or so.
i do see that Kyosho is now making a RB5 but i think that is an upgrade or something not sure.

thanks
Rob
The kyosho is good but might be a bit much, for a first real r/c car or truck i would think something along the lines of what brand my lhs carries for extra parts [yes, you wil break parts sometimes but it's half the fun] and the traxxas products are what most do and there affordable cars/trucks as well as affordable parts. Meaning that the slash is just one of there great r/c's that they got so go to the web site and you'll see what i mean.

[I sound like a dam traxxas advertisement when i read this back to my self, but it's true!]
Old 12-04-2009, 12:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

The Kyosho is a good vehicle, but its more designed for competitive racing. As others have mentioned parts availability could be an issue as well. If you can get parts easy for it and you have a small amount of mechanical skills then it could be the most fun the two of you have ever had together. Plus the price is tempting, especially if it runs good.
The Slash that others have mentioned is a great vehicle to get a kid for a first RC car, its tough, parts are everywhere for it, and price is good.
If that is more than you can spend then you may look at a mini RC vehicle. Any of the name brand models are tough, and they come with everything in one box you need to have fun with. They are fast enough to keep anyone entertained, but small enough to run just about anywhere.
Whatever you choose the parts availability is extremely important. No matter how tough a RC is it will break. Waiting for parts is not fun at all.
Old 12-04-2009, 06:50 AM
Tech Rookie

thanks for all of the feed back

my son is 8 and the only reason i picked this one up is that for 50 dollars i can pick one up at walmart but when it breaks its done. this way i can fix it.

i also read that Kyosho is the #1 rc maker is that not true i do know its a jap maker and imported in but. so back to me not knowing.

wheels are wheels (12mm hex)
tires are tires
electric motor well is a motor other that the different rpm right?
the plastic front and rear springs support have been changed to some type of metal by a shop.
tie rods are tie rods
struts and springs other than different stiffness are struts and springs
it all does not have to be Kyosho brand right? i mean they all are about the same.

i am going to my lrchs today and taking the car with dropping it on the table and asking questions. the guy i bought it from bought it local at the same hobbie shop. so lets hope thay can help.

i did see that Kyosho is now making a RB5 not sure if that is a newer model of the RB but look really close to the same

i have 2 motors and a bunch of other parts that he gave us. he also said something about being able to change the gears well i do not know.

this is about worse that a real car which i do know about

not trying to sound like a a$$ at all this is just an outside looking in and trying to get in point of view. right now me getting antoher car/truck is out of the question $50 and a 100 times better than walmart or toy r us.

oh and it does run very fast!!!!
Old 12-04-2009, 07:09 AM
BOG
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 47 (100%+)

good luck man, have fun