Wiki Posts
Search

Red Dot Slash Motors- 12T Titan 550

Search this Thread

Old 12-03-2009, 06:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)
Default Red Dot Slash Motors- 12T Titan 550

We posted some information in the Slash thread a week or so ago about Red Dot Slash Titan 550 motors, asking whether there would be any interest in us doing a production run of these motors. Given the amount of e-mails that we received in response, I figured it would be better if I started a new thread instead of hijacking that one.

For those of you who are not familiar with Red Dot Motors, we sell the fastest, most reliable, most winning sealed endbell silver can motors in the world (yes, The World. OK, maybe The Galaxy ). Our motors are fully legal, have never been DQ'd, and have won, well, a whole bunch of races in Mini's, F1's and other cars that use silver can Tamiya #53689 motors in sanctioned racing all over the globe. So, there's the cred right there.

Anyway, the last year or so some friends have been asking us to do up a few Slash motors for them- you know, the 12T Titan 550 motors that come in the kit. We didn't want to make a big deal out of it (frankly, we sell every silver can motor we produce, mostly in advance) but it was interesting and the guys seemed to think we were on to something. In fact, they did fairly well in some pretty big Slash events. So, we decided to do a limited run of Slash motors and we wanted to let the Slash community know about it before they were all gone.

Wondering how much better a Red Dot Slash motor is than one right out of the bag?
  • A new motor pulls about 15,500-16,000 RPM at 5 volts (freewheel) and produces a power number of about 42 at 8500 RPM on a Facts Machine dyno. That's a stout motor.
  • A red Dot motor that's fully legal, requires no change in gearing, and runs no hotter than a stocker pulls- get ready- about 17,750 RPM at 5 volts (freewheel) and a whopping power number of 62 at 9850 RPM. That's...a big difference.

Interested parties should drop me an e-mail at [email protected]. Always happy to hear from people.

Thanks!
Doc
Old 12-03-2009, 07:21 PM

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

there go the neighborhood...again...

mertes, u funny man. get em now, cuz at motorama it'll be the have's and the have nots. just watch TCS videos. the Amain folks have em, the Bmain folks dont.

Don't get yarded, just put the red dot on ur competition. hey thats kinda catchy.

R
Old 12-03-2009, 07:33 PM
Tech Elite

Now are they legal for a spec class?
Old 12-04-2009, 04:19 AM
Tech Elite

Yep, they are.

Unopened cans, not cranked, perfectly legal.
Old 12-06-2009, 10:54 AM
Tech Apprentice

Default $$$$$$$$$$$$

whats the price ?
Old 12-06-2009, 03:44 PM
Tech Elite

Red Dots are $45 each plus shipping.

Most of the ones from this production run are sold out in advance. Anyone who's sent me an e-mail but has not yet ordered might want to do so.
Old 12-06-2009, 03:55 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 86 (100%+)

An up-opened, silver can motor that makes 20% more power? How do you do that legally?
Old 12-07-2009, 04:24 AM
Tech Elite

By applying 20+ years of racing and wrenching experience, basic physics, and proprietary fluids and equipment that were developed specifically for this purpose.

I'm not well known in the off-road world, but in on-road, F1 and TCS I kind of get around. I also wrote over 175 technical articles for RCCA for 7 years in the 90's. So, I'm a hard core enthusiast and, over the years, I've learned a few things about these motors.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Legal to the letter of the rule book, but certainly not the spirit.
Old 12-07-2009, 01:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by reenmachine
One of the reasons why I disliked "Spec" Slash racing.
Old 12-07-2009, 05:58 PM
Tech Elite

If that's the way the Slash community feels, so be it.

That's why we asked in the first place, instead of just putting a whole bunch of motors in the marketplace.

On the other hand, based on the response we've received...
Old 12-07-2009, 06:10 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Yeah, it's one of the reasons i dislike the "spec" rules garbage. Like at our local track, at bigger events it draws a different "class" of slash racers. I mean my son and his friend are the two fastest of the local guys and battle it out, but when when these others come with "stock" equipment they are so much faster.
Old 12-07-2009, 06:40 PM
Tech Champion

Originally Posted by reenmachine
The spirit of the class up here was cheap, fun raceing. Not fair or beginner raceing.

The only way to make stock raceing fair is to put way too powerful mod motors in. Mod is the real stock, stock raceing has never had equality motor wise, someones allways got a trick.

$45 hardly breaks the bank and will actually help balence the field. Some of us have learned some of these motor tricks and have a serious power advantage.

I just met a racer who has quite possibly the silliest break in I've seen for an electric motor, he breaks it in with a method similar to how alot of nitro monster trucks break in their nitro engines. Truck on a block with varying speeds for a half hour.

I haven't tried it yet, but he deos fly with that thing. I just keep a fresh motor in thats constantly hosed with lube.

Anyways, where do I order a red dot?...................
Old 12-08-2009, 04:30 AM
Tech Elite

Anyways, where do I order a red dot?...................
Drop me an e-mail at [email protected]. Like you, we also find that these motors tend to re-level the playing field among drivers who have skills but not motor.

We sponsor spec racing classes at our local track (and supply motors to race programs who want to do the same thing), and they are matched blind draw motors that the racer pulls at the beginning of the night and gives back when the Mains are over. The class rules limit the hop-ups and battery selection and everyone runs the same chassis and tires. Works great and very popular, faster than out of the box, and nobody complains about someone having a faster motor than theirs.

THAT is spec racing.
Old 01-01-2010, 08:26 AM
Tech Elite

A reminder to interested parties that our next production run of Red Dot Slash motors is scheduled for the week of January 10th. The last run sold out very quickly, so if you want one (or more) of these for the winter racing season, give us a shout at [email protected].

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.