Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
I guess I need some new LiPo's? >

I guess I need some new LiPo's?

I guess I need some new LiPo's?

Old 11-24-2009, 02:48 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Make sure you set your cutoff higher before running new batteries. 3.2V per cell seems to be a safe minimum. It might have nothing to do with it, but it is something you can control at least. I puffed a 3S maxamps for no apparent reason and it was puffed after the first 5 minutes of running. I was no where near the cutoff and the battery was only 90F. Had the same thing happen with a zippy. Sometimes you just can't tell why.
Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 259 (100%+)

How are the Proteks these days? I ran them in my B44 last winter and both batteries were junk within a couple months.....same thing is true for a couple buddies that were running them also....we all took good care of them and balanced them with every charge...
Old 11-24-2009, 05:08 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)

Originally Posted by 92 vert View Post
How are the Proteks these days? I ran them in my B44 last winter and both batteries were junk within a couple months.....same thing is true for a couple buddies that were running them also....we all took good care of them and balanced them with every charge...
Well, I can tell you about my last set.....
Old 11-25-2009, 07:23 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 274 (100%+)

One thing also to keep in mind is that I don't think the MMM uses a hard cutoff at your set voltage level. So when you feel it going soft, just pull over and stop.

I used 3.2V - 3.3V per cell when running my MMM's.

What radio are you using? Do you have one with telemetry? if so, may be worth while wiring up the voltage monitor. I used to run that for awhile on my nomadio so I could see how my packs were doing during the race, also could set alarms, etc. on it too.
Old 11-25-2009, 08:35 AM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
One thing also to keep in mind is that I don't think the MMM uses a hard cutoff at your set voltage level. So when you feel it going soft, just pull over and stop.

I used 3.2V - 3.3V per cell when running my MMM's.

What radio are you using? Do you have one with telemetry? if so, may be worth while wiring up the voltage monitor. I used to run that for awhile on my nomadio so I could see how my packs were doing during the race, also could set alarms, etc. on it too.
I have a DX3S, but the voltage display only goes up to 9.9 volts I believe, so would just have to pick 1 cell to watch threw the balance tab.

I'm more worried about my kids car, as he won't likely notice stuff like this as well......
Old 11-25-2009, 10:21 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 274 (100%+)

Originally Posted by y2kgtp View Post
I have a DX3S, but the voltage display only goes up to 9.9 volts I believe, so would just have to pick 1 cell to watch threw the balance tab.

I'm more worried about my kids car, as he won't likely notice stuff like this as well......
Wow only 9.9V?? I guess I will be holding on to my Nomadio React alittle longer then. Was considering switching to the DX3S now that nomadio is no longer doing RC, but, I want a Radio that gives me close to the same kind of features as my Nomadio.

As for the power drop off, its VERY noticeable. If you kid won't still notice that, in that case, set your kids car cutoff to even higher level like 3.4V - 3.5V per cell to protect the packs.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:07 PM
Tech Elite

Wow only 9.9V?? I guess I will be holding on to my Nomadio React alittle longer then. Was considering switching to the DX3S now that nomadio is no longer doing RC, but, I want a Radio that gives me close to the same kind of features as my Nomadio.

As for the power drop off, its VERY noticeable. If you kid won't still notice that, in that case, set your kids car cutoff to even higher level like 3.4V - 3.5V per cell to protect the packs.
I think it was intended for a Rx battery voltage, so they never figured on the larger Lipo's that 1/8th scale use today.
Old 11-25-2009, 01:11 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

Hitec buddy....just a little longer.