Dean or plugs

Old 11-18-2009, 06:00 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)
Default Dean or plugs

Ok I want to get everyone opinion. Is it better to hook up the battery to the esc with dean connector or direct connect with plug connectors
Old 11-18-2009, 06:09 PM
Tech Prophet

i used to be a electric offroad guy now nitro i used deans plug on the battery and a hardwire to the motor and loved it i never tryed to hardwire both so i wontnt know it might me a little better u proberty wont notice it,for converice i would use deans at least on the battery
Old 11-18-2009, 06:13 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 20 (95%+)

That the way I have my cars set-up now - I have seen people do it the other way as well didn't know if there was any big difference.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:17 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Yer if your batteries take bullet connectors make up a set of leads for each one with deans or power poles. Those bullets wear out if you're plugging them in all the time. It's also a risk plugging the battery in the wrong way.
Old 11-18-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Prophet

the only way i think u can tell a diffrence is if your a pro or just a really good driver, im not the best im good so i coulnt tell a diffrence
Old 11-18-2009, 06:21 PM
Tech Prophet

Originally Posted by Bugle View Post
Yer if your batteries take bullet connectors make up a set of leads for each one with deans or power poles. Those bullets wear out if you're plugging them in all the time. It's also a risk plugging the battery in the wrong way.

does the bullet gold conneters have less resistace than deans cause i use them when i did run electric and it seem like it made my car faster
Old 11-18-2009, 06:55 PM
Tech Champion

My deans all measure absurdly low resistance on a Fluke 189.

I've never felt a deans get warm. If you could feel the difference driving, chances are you should have felt some heat on the plug.

Probally was a bearing, chunk of dirt on you drivetrain, or something.

If you have a battery with the pole connectors in the case just use that. If you have wires hardwired to the lipo, then use a deans.

I avoid the batteries with the power hole connector thingys. I like haveing wires hardwired to everything and spliting the battery connections with a deans.

Shoot, I wish we could hardwire everything like we used to do with nicad pan cars.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:00 PM
Tech Prophet

ethier deans or bullet connector got warm on me but i know i did feel a diffrence when i used the gold buller connecters the ones that corrally makes
Old 11-18-2009, 07:10 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

I've run both, using 5.5mm bullets, but prefer Deans. Can't plug Deans in wrong and you sure can with bullets. I used diff color heat shrink on pos and neg, but that still didn't help. I caught myself more than once getting ready to do it wrong.

You can re-spread the malle bullets pretty easily when they start getting a little loose.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I like the deans. Many companies make "knock off" deans that do not work as well, and thats where most of the complaints about them I have seen come from. I have seen tests that show deans flow as well as an equal length piece of 12 gauge wire, and thats plenty for me.
Old 11-18-2009, 07:20 PM
Tech Prophet

if get the bullet connecters they stay pretty tight if u get the ones u solder yea they can get loose in a odd sisuation u can plug them in wroung through but if use red and black wire that shouldnt be a problem