Sensored vs Sensorless >

Sensored vs Sensorless

Sensored vs Sensorless

Old 11-18-2009, 11:07 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 160 (100%+)
Questions?? Sensored vs Sensorless

HELP PLEASE!

I just bought an OFNA 10 SC and I am trying to determine what motor to put in it. I understand the benefits of both sensored and sensorless motors. Because of this I know I want to use the new Mamba Max Pro speed control so that I can take advantage of the best of both worlds using a sensored motor in Smart Sense mode.

Here is my question. According to Nitrohouse's website I use the same pinion size if I use a 5700kv sensorless motor or a 10.5t sensored motor. If I look at Novak the 10.5t motors only put out 4200kv. LRP's 10.5t motors put out 3600kv.

Isn't this way less motor than the 5700kv sonsorless motor?

Will top speed/torque be roughly the same sinse you are using the same gearing?

If not, what turn motor should I use to be equivalent to a 5700kv motor?

Old 11-18-2009, 11:14 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I think the comparison is more like CC 5700=Novak 8.5. All you do is get which motor you want and play with your pinion till you get what you want, maybe even get a bigger and a smaller spur to throw in your box also. 8.5 is a good all around brushless motor and with the castle link you can tweak it to tame it or turn it up too.
Old 11-18-2009, 11:22 AM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by malik View Post
I think the comparison is more like CC 5700=Novak 8.5. All you do is get which motor you want and play with your pinion till you get what you want, maybe even get a bigger and a smaller spur to throw in your box also. 8.5 is a good all around brushless motor and with the castle link you can tweak it to tame it or turn it up too.
I saw that a Novak 8.5t is 5000kv. Their 7.5t is 5800kv. The problem is that Nitrohouse recomends using a 9-10 tooth pinion for an 8.5t. The OFNA 10 SC uses mod 1 pinions with a 3mm shaft not a 5mm shaft. The smalles I can find is 11t with either shaft size.

If the 10.5t is less motor than a CC 5700kv it seems like you would need a larger pinion than what you would use with a CC 5700kv motor.

Confusing...
Old 11-18-2009, 12:17 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by slashracer View Post
HELP PLEASE!

I just bought an OFNA 10 SC and I am trying to determine what motor to put in it. I understand the benefits of both sensored and sensorless motors. Because of this I know I want to use the new Mamba Max Pro speed control so that I can take advantage of the best of both worlds using a sensored motor in Smart Sense mode.

Here is my question. According to Nitrohouse's website I use the same pinion size if I use a 5700kv sensorless motor or a 10.5t sensored motor. If I look at Novak the 10.5t motors only put out 4200kv. LRP's 10.5t motors put out 3600kv.

Isn't this way less motor than the 5700kv sonsorless motor?

Will top speed/torque be roughly the same sinse you are using the same gearing?

If not, what turn motor should I use to be equivalent to a 5700kv motor?

The Casle 5700KV motor is equivalent to a 5.5 turn sensored motor, it has monster torque. Tell us what are you looking for and we'll recommend a suitable motor for you.

Avner.
Old 11-18-2009, 12:42 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by Ferret View Post
The Casle 5700KV motor is equivalent to a 5.5 turn sensored motor, it has monster torque. Tell us what are you looking for and we'll recommend a suitable motor for you.

Avner.
Thanks. I am looking to put it in a 4x4 OFNA 10 SC. I will be running this truck on both a 1/10scale and 1/8th scale track. I don't want stupid speeds. I will be using it to race, not bash.
Old 11-18-2009, 03:46 PM
Tech Adept

I'm not familiar with the 4X4 SC vehicles, but I can share my experience racing a 4X4 buggy on a fairly long (~35 sec/lap) but technical 1/10 scale track.

I started with the Castle 5700KV and it was too powerful, the car was hard to control, took a beating and I could almost never use full throttle.

I am now running the Castle 4600KV with lowest timing and 30% punch control.

The best all round motor I can recommend is the Tekin 448. I use it for both 2X4 buggy and 2X4 truck and I bought another one to try in 4X4 buggy. It has the same top end as the Castle and the sensored motors, but the power delivery is much softer and more controllable.

Do you know what motors are the other drivers in these tracks using?

Avner.