R/C Tech Forums

R/C Tech Forums (https://www.rctech.net/forum/)
-   Electric Off-Road (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road-4/)
-   -   Help me pick a Short Course truck (https://www.rctech.net/forum/electric-off-road/344801-help-me-pick-short-course-truck.html)

Old Tech 11-17-2009 11:11 AM

Help me pick a Short Course truck

I'm looking for some feedback on SC trucks. There are several out there so I'd like to make an educated purchase based upon racer's experience and not media (or other) hype.

Here's some background about my needs. This will be a truck for my 10yo son to race. It will be his first experience with racing, and as such I have some criteria to guide you all in your responses.

The track (indoor) we will race at once had a "Slash spec" class that has now morphed into a class that allows all makes of SC trucks. I think the chassis is to be kept basically stock, you can run whatever wheels and tires you want provided they are SC rims and tires...no 8th scale buggy wheels/tires. Power is limited to kit supplied motor, or 13.5t brushless.

What am I looking for? Well, in priority order here is a list of features I am looking for:

1) Easy to drive...not necessarily the fastest around the track, but the most stable and forgiving.

2) Durability...me thinks the pipes will learn to fear this truck!:p

3) Economy. I know this is a personal matter/question, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Other thoughts:

I will need a full package (truck, radio, esc/motor) so a RTR seems the most logical, though I'd like your thoughts. I like the idea of a 2.4ghz radio...no waiting for frequency pins. Parts support is pretty good in my area for AE, Traxxas, HPI and Losi...probably in that order from most to least available...though all four are pretty readily available.

Please speak from personal experience...I want the good and bad.

Thanks!

y2kgtp 11-17-2009 11:23 AM

Is there a rookie class, or is he dropped right into the SCT mess with everyone else? :lol:

I got my 5year old a Slash to play with before we have multiple vehicles to choose from.

But it sounds like that unless you get a HPI or AE truck with the lower Center of gravity, and a 7.4v Lipo\13.5T combo you don't stand much of a chance.

They should have kept stock slash, and then the "open" or "super-stock" SCT class for your local track.

scwrod 11-17-2009 11:56 AM

you sure that is not a 17.5 brushless allowed in that class?? 13.5 vs. stock brushed would be unfair.

y2kgtp 11-17-2009 12:10 PM

Originally Posted by scwrod (Post 6611591)
you sure that is not a 17.5 brushless allowed in that class?? 13.5 vs. stock brushed would be unfair.

I agree. 17.5T would be more fair with the stock Slash motors and what comes stock with the AE\HPI trucks.

MooseDrool 11-17-2009 12:25 PM

I would go with the blitz. it is durable like the slash, but more forgiving, as it does not roll very easily. the sc10 is too twitchy and fragile for a 10yo kid. With good tires and a 17.5, the blitz will keep up just as good as the sc10

Outtacontrol58 11-17-2009 12:32 PM

Easy choice, the HPI Blitz! :nod:

turbomeyers 11-17-2009 12:40 PM

i can not state how durable my blitz is as i have not yet gone bashing with it , but the slash is amazing , parts are super easy to get and rpm make all kinds of replacment parts that keep the wieght down , i would say for the beginner a slash is great and traxxas will upgrade you from your radio to thier new 2.4 system right now for like 100 bucks , my losi strike i own is awsome stock the shocks are amazing but the truck a bit harder to work on , the turnbuckles are a bit weak and i changed them to traxxas units but thats the only thing i have broken on it , if you get a slash fight the urge to aluminum it , adds so much wieght makes it a terrible handler , i would just fully dress it in rpm and have a blast .

y2kgtp 11-17-2009 01:00 PM

I currently own 2 Slash's, but would prefer a vehicle like the Blitz for the lower center of gravity. It will just handle better out of the box, and be easier to drive in my opinion.

Old Tech 11-17-2009 01:19 PM

There is a rookie class that is kinda a run what you brung class so he may spend some time there first...but he REALLY likes the SC trucks and will want to race with them. I'll probably get the same truck as him so we can race together. I agree, it's too bad the Spec Slash class kinda disolved into the combined class.

Not absolutely sure about the motor. I thought it was 13.5, but could well be 17.5. I would probably opt for a lower hp motor to start him off with anyway. When he can find his way around the track with minimal self-inflicted carnage, then I'll boost the ponies.

So it sounds like so far it's HPI followed by Slash?

Any other thoughts/suggestions.

Thank you all for your input...keep it coming!:)

sLaSh It UPP 11-17-2009 02:47 PM

i would go with the traxxas slash or slash 4x4 they are both very nice trucks

BuggyKing 11-17-2009 08:58 PM

Well for 2wd Id go with the Blitz. Out of the box it is a good handling truck. And for 4wd the new OFNA truck is looking promising.

Old Tech 11-18-2009 06:57 AM

Sounds like most of the votes are with the Blitz. If I unerstand you all correctly we are looking at a truck with a good balance of durability and driveability. Sounds perfect. Yes, 2wd for now...should have been more clear about that. I have a friend who has the Ofna 4wd truck...he just got it so not sure if he's run it yet...so I'll get a close look at that truck.:nod:

Thank you all for your input.

Misfit138 11-18-2009 07:13 AM

I have both the Blitz and the Slash. IMO the Blitz would be better for your boy with it's lcg and handling it's very comfortable in the hands of someone just starting. The Slash is also a great truck but it doesn't handle near as well as the Blitz. The Slash is very prone to roll over because it sits so high where the Blitz isn't as likely with it's lcg. The Blitz seems to jump more level than the Slash. The Slash body acts like a sail when you are in the air the Blitz body doesn't. I like both of them but I find myself racing the Blitz more it probably helps that I have a Mamba Max Pro and a Ballistic 10.5 in it. You might want to look into the Slash 4x4 coming out soon you get brushless power a 2.4ghz radio plus battery and charger completely RTR for around 400.00. Good luck with your new purchase whichever one you decide on.

blade329 11-18-2009 04:23 PM

Originally Posted by Old Tech (Post 6611443)
I'm looking for some feedback on SC trucks. There are several out there so I'd like to make an educated purchase based upon racer's experience and not media (or other) hype.

Here's some background about my needs. This will be a truck for my 10yo son to race. It will be his first experience with racing, and as such I have some criteria to guide you all in your responses.

The track (indoor) we will race at once had a "Slash spec" class that has now morphed into a class that allows all makes of SC trucks. I think the chassis is to be kept basically stock, you can run whatever wheels and tires you want provided they are SC rims and tires...no 8th scale buggy wheels/tires. Power is limited to kit supplied motor, or 13.5t brushless.

What am I looking for? Well, in priority order here is a list of features I am looking for:

1) Easy to drive...not necessarily the fastest around the track, but the most stable and forgiving.

2) Durability...me thinks the pipes will learn to fear this truck!:p

3) Economy. I know this is a personal matter/question, but I would like to hear your thoughts.

Other thoughts:

I will need a full package (truck, radio, esc/motor) so a RTR seems the most logical, though I'd like your thoughts. I like the idea of a 2.4ghz radio...no waiting for frequency pins. Parts support is pretty good in my area for AE, Traxxas, HPI and Losi...probably in that order from most to least available...though all four are pretty readily available.

Please speak from personal experience...I want the good and bad.

Thanks!

If you were going box stock, the Slash would be the better choice. However, with the rules you stated, I think the Blitz would be the better fit. Just make sure you lose the stock speed control, it is terrible. I replaced mine with the Traxxas XL-5, but I'm running in a "Stock" class that requires RTR electronics. Aside from that the Blitz RTR comes with a weak 27mhz AM radio. Don't waste your time with the SC10. It's way to twitchy for a beginner. 13.5 seems a bit extreme for an all encompassing SC class. Fortunately, the Blitz comes with an extra spur (83T) which is perfect for a 13.5. The stock tires on the Blitz are decent, depending on the track, but I would recommend Bow Ties or Goose Bumps. Good luck and have fun.

Ktmracer 11-18-2009 04:44 PM

My 11yr old has been racing for 2 months with a slash with poor results. Picked up a Blitz on Sunday put a battery in it and he was able to drive that thing like he knew what he was doing. I am very impressed with the Blitz. We were supposed to share the truck but I have a feeling I will have to get another one for myself.