Wiki Posts
Search

Team Orion Vortex 17.5 Timing advance

Search this Thread

Old 11-14-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default Team Orion Vortex 17.5 Timing advance

On my Rb5 sp I am running a team orion vortex 2008 17.5 , sphere comp, and thunder power 5000 40c. Esc is turned all the way up and gearing is 65/33. Temp was 140 after 5 mins. Should I advance the motor one notch at a time till i see a temp of 160 degrees or just leave it alone since it is not broke yet? I noticed Tebo has his set to max RPMS.

Last edited by major3d; 11-14-2009 at 06:51 PM.
Old 11-14-2009, 10:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

First thing, do NOT gear for a temp! ITs a big misconception. Just because it CAN run a little hotter and still be in the "safe" zone does not mean you need to adjust anything to get it hotter. If the motor has a good "feel" to it punch-wise and it hits good rpm on the straights thats most important. If your maxxed out on the esc usually you dont want to run any mechanical timing in the motor. The times I have, it just gets it hotter for very very little to NO performance gain. As for Tebo, he doesnt run the LRP esc and I'm 99.9% sure he hasnt run a 17.5.

Just gear it or adjust for feel and performance first. Adjust gear or timing if too hot. IF the motor were to do everything you need it to and run at say 80* great and the motor will live a lot longer than running it at 160* everytime out. I'd say if your likeing the feel of it now and it runs 140 everytime out great.