Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
ball diff went bad? >

ball diff went bad?

ball diff went bad?

Old 03-02-2004, 08:54 PM
Tech Initiate

Default ball diff went bad?

I am a newb who bought a Evader ST used for $110 shipped. Which I thought was a decent deal. Anyway I ran it about 4-5 times and got to cleaning it. Well I read the the ball diff was to loose by factory so I got to messing with it. I thought I tightend it up but not sure. I messed with it some before getting online to see what it should be set to.

Now after putting it back together I can hold the back tires and pull of the throttle about mid-way and it starts slipping. At first I thought it was the slipper clutch but it wasnt as I tightend it down all the way to snug just to test it. Could the ball diff have went bad? How do I know if it went bad? Could it still be to loose?
Old 03-03-2004, 12:04 AM
Tech Addict

To check your diff. Hold the Spur gear and spin one wheel. If the diffs ok then the other wheel should spin the opposite way to the one your turn. Should be smooth. If it spins the same way then your diffs to tight or needs a rebuild. If the other wheel doesn't spin then the diff would be loose or broke. Also make sure that you put the side with the allen key in it on the drivers side or it will come loose when your driving.

See how you go.

Also when you excellerate and it's not getting drive check that the shaft that goes onto the gear box is spinning, the spur will be but to check the slipper try that.
Old 03-03-2004, 02:07 PM
Tech Initiate

Only way it won't slip it by tightening it all the way down till I can't turn it no more. If I looen it any it slips alot when I kick the throttle. Can I just run it all the way tight? I don't race or anything.

What could be the problem?
Old 03-03-2004, 08:22 PM
Tech Addict

What are you doing up tight the diff or the spur. ?

If its the slipper you may have run out of thread cause the spring
is shortened. Try putting a couple of washers on there so you can get the slipper tighter.

Tell me how you go and I'll think of something else.