Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Turnigy / EZ-Run 60amp ESC, question on slow motor usage >

Turnigy / EZ-Run 60amp ESC, question on slow motor usage

Turnigy / EZ-Run 60amp ESC, question on slow motor usage

Old 11-04-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 251 (100%+)
Default Turnigy / EZ-Run 60amp ESC, question on slow motor usage

Since it is a sensorless design, I know it will get more of the cogging with the slower motors. I am just looking to hear back from some people on how well it worked out when they tried it compared to say a mamba max as I am looking to setup a buggy for my daughter to get started in racing, and I have a NIB one laying around here that I could put in there for her to start, but would probably use a 21.5 motor to get her going. Something not really out there on speed basically.
Old 11-04-2009, 03:03 PM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

I've used several of the Hobbywing EZRun 60A ESCs and love them. They are smooth once rolling. They cog just slightly when starting out, but less than the EZRun 1/8 counterparts. The ESC isn't super responsive at very low throttle input, then at a certain point, it starts rolling. It doesn't cog much, just doesn't respond. Compare this to the EZRun 1/8 ESCs which do cog at low throttle and then get rolling smoothly, but they respond at low throttle inputs. Compared to my MM that I had (sold it), the MM responded to slightly lower throttle input (it did something), but cogged at that low of throttle. Once you're going, you won't notice any difference and once it's moving, it's very smooth. I've run my EZRun 60A with motors from a 2400kV 2-pole (17.5T) to a 3300kV 4-pole. Keep in mind, "turns" from different mfrs result in slightly different kVs, which is what really matters. I don't think you need to start your daughter out on a slow motor. Rather, instead of buying 2 motors (one for starting and another later when she's better), just gear down the motor so top speeds aren't crazy and change gearing as she improves and can handle more speed. Or use the EPA on the radio to reduce max throttle which is a better solution.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:05 PM
Tech Adept

I second that about the EZRun 60A ESC. They are the best value and performance that money can buy for any ESC out there on the market. You won't be disapointed, I can tell you that much. Here's a link to the one that I own: http://hobbycity.com/hobbycity/store...verse_programm.
Old 11-04-2009, 05:40 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I would say the startup on the EZRun ESC is better than the Mamba Max was a few years ago. With the later versions of firmware the Castle is just as good. Definitely not disappointed with my EZruns, but I dont run 21.5s either.
Old 11-05-2009, 12:08 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Cain, if it's .5 motors (sensored) you're looking to use, why not the Xerun series of ESC to make sure it works?

It doesn't have a 21.5 but it does go up to 17.5... Not sure if a 21.5 won't work with it though...

Here's the 17.5 combo:

http://cgi.ebay.com/XERUN-1-10-1-12-...item3a544a2a7e

Xeruns are crazy, it's rated to 120A.

I know you have a NIB one, why not hock that one to partially fund this?

Just a thought...
Old 11-05-2009, 06:52 AM
Tech Legend

thanks for the link. Price though is more than what I want to spend as the ESC I have here is only a $50 job, and this is just to get her going.

If it becomes an issue with start up, I'll check around see about a used speed passion LPF 2.0 then.

Thanks for the info guys!
Old 11-05-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Cain View Post
thanks for the link. Price though is more than what I want to spend as the ESC I have here is only a $50 job, and this is just to get her going.

If it becomes an issue with start up, I'll check around see about a used speed passion LPF 2.0 then.

Thanks for the info guys!
Cain, I am running one of the HW speedo's in my truck.I am running the 35A version with a novak 17.5.(usually run the HW 17.5 I have)The key with the higher wind motors is using the punch control.Setting #3(aggressive) with timing set to 15*.I have no cogging issues even when geared for a long track.

I am actually using the HW gear to prove to some of my race buddies how far good driving will get you on the track.They love it when I remind them that they just got beat by a 70.00 brushless system powered by a 25.00 lipo
Old 11-05-2009, 08:14 AM
Tech Legend

yeah, thats always a blast to be able to say.
Old 11-05-2009, 08:32 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

I actually bought he HW stuff to keep in my box as a spare.But when I tried it I was really impressed that a 30.00 speedo performed as well as it does.So i decided to keep it in my 2wd truck to see how much abuse it could take.I have run down to an 8.5 with the 35a esc under race conditions and when it came off the track I was expecting the esc to be just cooking hot- nope, it didnt even break 100*. The HW gear is just fine for those that are just beginning,or dont have the $$ to drop on a full on "race" BL system.At this point I figure when I can see that the esc is slowing me up and not my driving then I will put the tekin rs back in my truck.