R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 10-25-2005, 03:40 PM   #526
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

A Novarossi P5 is the best match for the gearing included in the XB8R kit. The XB8R comes with a 14t clutch bell and a 44t spur the XB8 comes with a 13t/46t combo. The strong bottom end of the P5 will do a better job pulling the higher gears and should work very well. In my XB8R I switched to a 13t bell and run either a EB Mods P5 or RB S7 2. Both those engines do a really good job of getting the XB8R around the track although a 46t spur is on my wish list for indoor racing this winter.
Old 10-30-2005, 10:59 PM   #527
Tech Apprentice

i perfer a turbo head motor in my xb8

you change a plug and you know that it is going to sit at the same spot in the botton every time. copper washer are all diffrent===diffrent compresion=====diffrent tune

then againyou cant go wrong with a p5
desdad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:43 AM   #528
Tech Adept

Send a message via AIM to travymoto1

Jim,

What is your current diff oil setup? shock package? And why the need for the mugen pistons?

I ran my XB8R for the first time last weekend in Jacksonville (Harry's). Harry's is a tight and techical track and the new layout is very fun. The car did well but hopefully will be much better this week after some changes.
travymoto1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 06:31 PM   #529
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

travymoto1, give this setup a try. This is my base setup for small technical tracks. This setup is fairly easy to drive, but pretty fast.

XRAY XB8 2005 O'Donnell Championships Setup
Rich Panganiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-10-2005, 11:17 PM   #530
Tech Adept

Rich,

Thanks for the setup. I appreciate your perspective. I'm just now really starting to get into 1/8 scale and there are so many ways to tune this car.

Last weekend I could have used a lot more turn in and just a touch more on-power steering. What I did this week was raise the roll center, decrease the caster by 1*, reduce the rear toe by .5*, and brought the rear wing in. I would love to have another buggy with your setup to compare to

If I'm still not in the hunt I will try your set-up on Sat. We have 4 quallys that day.

I just printed your small track setup

Thanks
Old 11-11-2005, 09:03 AM   #531
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default xray

I tried 5/7/2 in the diffs and liked it. However If you run a tight track then try 3/5/3. I have been running that and like it alot. also in the shocks I like the stock pistons with 45/40 losi oil. Last race day i had a problem with the car flipping in the turns and I raised the front arms to the top setting and the rear roll center up one hole on the rear tower. The car was on rails after that and had a ton of steering.
the buggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 10:27 AM   #532
Tech Adept

Thanks Buggyman.

I forgot to metion that last week I ran 5 5 3 mugen oils and this week I have
4 5 3 in the car. My car was just really down into the track last week. It was too stuck. Also, last week I had 50wt 40wt, but I put 40wt in the fron for this week. I've been running AE oils, but the don't have 45wt...maybe I sould switch to have more viscoities available.

Thanks again.
Old 11-11-2005, 01:45 PM   #533
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

3000 in the front diff should give more steering. ALso lighter in the front shocks should give more steering. Also I like to switch between the rear hub all the way back and center. this also effects steering. If your track is real tight try taking off your front sway bar. I have heard this adds tons of steering.

heres the set up I am running right now.

http://www.teamxray.com/xforum/xform...=272&setup=xb8
the buggyman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 06:08 PM   #534
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

Travymoto, whats been going on, XB8 huh? Sweet.

I run the Mugen pistons mostly because i'm more fond of a machined teflon piston then a molded plastic one. I think the stock ones may deform under loading also, but that's only a theory.

I use 5-7-3 in my diffs and 1.4mm mugen pistons with 35 ft and 35 rear. I also have found the car to very sensitive to ride hieght. I run my car pretty high except on very high bite tracks to avoid rolling.

I also like the zero roll center bushings in front. For tracks that feel too hooked up, move the rear hubs back, or run less toe in back as you've done........should be a rocket, .......ttyl, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-11-2005, 11:13 PM   #535
Tech Adept

Jim,

Thanks for the input. I'm keeping my pencil sharp!

My front roll center was at 1 up last week, but now I'm @ 0

Thanks!!
Old 11-12-2005, 05:58 PM   #536
Tech Elite

travymoto, forgot to say i'm using Losi oils in the shocks and Mugen in the diffs.
Also that the camber has a big effect on traction too, so try zero, 1 degree negative and 2 degrees negative as well.

So far i usually run about 1 negative front and 2 negative rear....., Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 11-14-2005, 01:54 PM   #537
Tech Adept

Thanks for the help. The car was still not too good on Saturday. I went the wrong direction with a few of the adjustments, but I started to get it better by the end of the day. I was running two classes so the buggy didn't get 100% tuning attention. I learned from it though and think it will be much better next time out. I won my other class (production MT) so that kept my moral high.

I bought the XB8R and the stock set-up is just so tight out of the box...w/ the plastic front and rear braces and soft arms etc. I am just tring to get it to respond better. I'm determined to get it dialed!!!

Thanks again.
Old 11-15-2005, 06:40 AM   #538
Tech Elite

Ya, get those soft braces off of there if you want more response. I'm also using mugen grey springs, btw, don't think I posted that.

...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 11-15-2005, 06:46 PM   #539
Tech Adept

I'm definately going to swap out the plastic braces. The XB8R comes with silver springs and I bought some whites that seem to be even softer. The whites were too soft for the track I ran on last weekend. It seems like alot of guys don't use the xray light blues...what the difrerance between those and the Mugen Greys? I'm going to pick up some of the Mugen Greys soon. Thanks.

I'm skipping the State Series race this weekend, but I plan on running the Dec. race

Last edited by travymoto1; 11-15-2005 at 07:31 PM.
Old 11-16-2005, 04:53 PM   #540
Tech Master

Exclamation

There is a new hobby shop in South West Florida that has every Xray XB8 part in stock. The web site shopping cart is still under construction, but you can stop in or phone/e-mail your orders. Check it out.

http://www.machinesrchobbies.com
Machine's R/C H is offline   Reply With Quote