Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 07-31-2005, 06:05 PM   #451
Tech Adept

I just bought a XB8 that had two races on it for 300.00 dollars
Sgt_Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 06:12 PM   #452
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 7 (100%+)

wow what a bargain. why did he sell it so cheap?
auto2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 09:18 PM   #453
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (95%+)
Send a message via AIM to W.E.D.Jim

I drove my car today for the first time after jumping from the X1 to an XB8...what an awesome handling car. It gave me much more traction then my X1 did and really handled well, I like it so far. Now if I can get my engine to stay running for the entire main i'll be all set, LOL. I turned some very good laps and a few bad ones, but sorted out alot of tweaks and it's looking like it's worth the extra money at this point.

I did dremel more clearance in the castor blocks and arms for added front droop and also modded the knuckles for more steering throw.....dialed. I hope they make these changes for XB8 owners eventually?......, Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
W.E.D.Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-31-2005, 11:13 PM   #454
Tech Adept

He said 1/8 scale is not for him so i got it cheap
Sgt_Morrow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 03:03 AM   #455
Tech Elite

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.E.D.Jim
I did dremel more clearance in the castor blocks and arms for added front droop and also modded the knuckles for more steering throw.....dialed. I hope they make these changes for XB8 owners eventually?
do you have to do this when u drove x1cr..???
arghh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-01-2005, 04:50 PM   #456
Tech Elite

arghh, no, with the X1cr I did have to replace the fuel tank, steering posts a couple of times, front arm B mounts to aluminum and I also drilled the shock pistons though, .....I guess no car is perfect, good news for "Dremel".....Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 08-01-2005, 09:21 PM   #457
Tech Elite

so is that means the x1cr got more droop clearance and steering throw than the xb8 have..
Old 08-01-2005, 09:46 PM   #458
Tech Elite

arghh, i'm not sure what your getting at, but after owning both the X1 and now the XB8, I won't be going back to the X1 anytime soon.......is that what your asking?........... ...Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 08-03-2005, 03:02 PM   #459
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

jim
seriously, I thought the x1cr was that good ?
is the xb8 that much better ?
on what points....??

say it because I'm hesitating between a xb8 and a cl-1 or x1cr.....
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-03-2005, 06:32 PM   #460
Tech Elite

speedy2, the X1cr isn't a "bad" car, especially for the money and considering the included hop ups, etc., but after a few glitches and always feeling like I could use more traction I drove a friends XB8. I ordered my XB8 the following day.

The trouble I had with the X1 was the fuel tank, which they have fixed. The steering posts cracking, which seems to be the steering post upper and lower hole alignment, maybe? Also the rear brakes sticking on occasionally, which seemed to go away after rounding the brake cams corners off with a dremel. The stock front lower B block cracked and needed an upgrade to aluminum as well. My problem was after sorting these things out and not doing well at a few races in a row while having them, I had a rear hub bearing go out at my last race and that cheap bearing was the last straw(about a gallon on the car?). I was going to just stay away from 1/8th for a while and concentrate on my Losi program, but after driving Jim Larrimores XB8 at the track, I knew my odds would at least be better, imo.

The XB8 seemed to really go together like X ray had pre "hand fitted" all the parts, the machining was excellent and the buggy had some serious adjustments, all included!....It is MUCH more money then the X1, but for a serious racer, I think it is far superior in the quality department. Now for a club racer, or for fun, the X1 is much less money and would do fine, but it's little quirks may still become a nuisance?

Of course, I may be on here complaining in a few races though, but so far, all is well, LOL...., Jim
"Nothing but the best!"
Old 08-03-2005, 07:55 PM   #461
Tech Elite

Quote:
the X1cr isn't a "bad" car, especially for the money and considering the included hop ups

The trouble
- the fuel tank, which they have fixed.
- steering posts cracking
- rear brakes sticking on occasionally
- stock front lower B block cracked
- rear hub bearing go out

The XB8 seemed to really go together like X ray

the goodness
- had pre "hand fitted" all the parts,
- the machining was excellent
- had some serious adjustments,
- all included!....
- I think it is far superior in the quality department.
on your thread before, the x1cr is the best, but now days all the bad is on x1cr and all the goodness is on your new xb8... maybe when another new buggy coming out, the xb8 will be the bad and the new one is the best... tehehe
Old 08-03-2005, 08:13 PM   #462
Tech Elite

Quote:
speedy2, the X1cr isn't a "bad" car, especially for the money and considering the included hop ups, etc., but after a few glitches and always feeling like I could use more traction I drove a friends XB8. I ordered my XB8 the following day.

The trouble I had with the X1 was the fuel tank, which they have fixed. The steering posts cracking, which seems to be the steering post upper and lower hole alignment, maybe? Also the rear brakes sticking on occasionally, which seemed to go away after rounding the brake cams corners off with a dremel. The stock front lower B block cracked and needed an upgrade to aluminum as well. My problem was after sorting these things out and not doing well at a few races in a row while having them, I had a rear hub bearing go out at my last race and that cheap bearing was the last straw(about a gallon on the car?). I was going to just stay away from 1/8th for a while and concentrate on my Losi program, but after driving Jim Larrimores XB8 at the track, I knew my odds would at least be better, imo.

The XB8 seemed to really go together like X ray had pre "hand fitted" all the parts, the machining was excellent and the buggy had some serious adjustments, all included!....It is MUCH more money then the X1, but for a serious racer, I think it is far superior in the quality department. Now for a club racer, or for fun, the X1 is much less money and would do fine, but it's little quirks may still become a nuisance?

Of course, I may be on here complaining in a few races though, but so far, all is well, LOL...., Jim
I think with the XB8R out now, the club racer has a tougher time choosing now.
JusBox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 03:00 AM   #463
Tech Elite

there must be something about the xb8 that isn't that right
I went down on results every race last year evn in europe
they don't seem to win any races really, or that easily if you like, it's even fragrant to notice
x1cr or cl-1, come out and take good places even with average racers on the steeringwheel

the kit seems very good.. but there are always some issues

the battery went dead, flywheelrods came loose, shock collapsing on their internal shimms, the steering is always rubbing on some suspensionholder parts, even now again with the 3D steering plate, steering toe-in out(which is very ugly) and steering rods sometimes popping off (:bad design there up front), to much play on the axle of the rear infer. suspensionparts and also in the front steering blocks(cvds static moving up and down to much in the bearings) , carbonplates cracking, chassis flex,

the kit isn't that cheap and still you will want to buy the upgrades that come out, like 3D plate, alu uprights, motormounts..... value 250.00+
I want a buggy , I dial in on my home track, and don't have to re-tune always every track you go
but : is a jammin better for me then
or will a cl-1 get any better, or even cheaper(690 euro in europe, parts same) in the end ?

Last edited by speedy2; 08-07-2005 at 06:54 AM.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 06:33 AM   #464
Tech Master

it funny to hear all the problems with the xray, we havent had any except when we hit a brick wall at full noise haha

Ryper Hobbies l AKA | AE
tony2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2005, 08:56 AM   #465
Tech Adept

Hey Jim I too just ordered the XRay after I bombarted you with the questions and Matt let me drive his after the race. I liked the way it accelerated and turned. He did have a different setup then Jim and ended up winning the A-main. I had been comparing the Mugen and the Xray for about a month and decided on the Xray mainly because I had a Mugen already and couldn't keep the clutch bell bearings from blowing out every other tank. As for the Jammin I loved the car and it was the best I have owned too date. I just wanted to run something different since I have been running the Jammin now for 9 months. I should have the car together for the next state race. Man, the parts are way more then the Jammin though.
the buggyman is offline   Reply With Quote