R/C Tech Forums

Go Back   R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road

Old 12-26-2004, 08:36 PM   #391
Tech Fanatic

Send a message via Yahoo to redsand

Thanks Rich.
I actually am planning to get one.
I'd seen some racers got a little frustrated on the track, they were saying that the buggy was kinda too hectic to drive. I had driven one a few months ago and it had too much on power steering, coming out of onroad that wasn't a great of a deal for me as I could manage the throttle gently. But soon I realized that it would be nearly impossible to drive 45 minutes long on a dirt track with that setup.

Ever since that day, I haven't been back to a dirt track but I keep hearing the XB8 is hard to set up, which in that case I disagree.
redsand is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 12:25 PM   #392
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to motoazure

I just ran this buggy this weekend for the first time - running Hickersons' setup without the mod (and with softer springs).

I have never driven a buggy as well as this one - my MBX5 was nice - but this is incredible. The Buggy does have a ton of on power steering - and it reminds me a lot of driving my Xray touring car. If you can drive controlled and consistent the XB8 will reward you.

My initial reaction is - the on power steering lets you use the first 0-50% of the steering throw while driving - I don't need to let of the gas to point the buggy where I want it to go. I rarely need to go to 100% of steering to drive the track - just at the very mid point of a sharp corner (like on road).

Awesome buggy. Ran it for about 5 or 6 tanks in 30 degree weather with no breakage or problems.
motoazure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-27-2004, 10:06 PM   #393
Tech Fanatic

How did it perform when doing the doubles, triples or even washboards ?
Old 12-27-2004, 11:29 PM   #394
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)
Send a message via AIM to motoazure

Jumped excellent - very predictable.

I suppose if I bumped up the spring stiffness I could get some extra jumping distance, but it performed how I wanted it to so I was happy.

High speed and low speed jumps were handled equally - both with a very predictable ride through the air.
motoazure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 01:28 PM   #395
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)

I ran a Mugen all last season as well, and all I can say about the XRAY is I have very high expectations. It definitely does not lack in the steering department and it is really good on a rough track. Just like the XRAY touring car, it has a ton of adjustments. I haven't been on a track yet where the buggy wasn't comfortable!
Rich Panganiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 09:50 PM   #396
Tech Addict

R/C Tech Charter Subscriber

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Quote:
Originally posted by redsand
Hi David,

It looks to me the XB8 has a lot of onpower steering. The buggy has got to be driven smoothly so it wouldn't tail happy exiting corner. All that with the stock setup.

What would be your suggestion to make it easy to drive yet still has a lot of steering for a smallish dusty track ?
Run this setup, http://www.teamxray.net/downloads/XB...ard_121304.pdf

I have close to 8 gallons now on the car and been to 7 different tracks of all types. This is where I start on the setup. The biggest thing that will take away the on-power steering for me was going up in rear diff oil, I run 3k now. The droop mod will obviously help this as well, but I found more benefit from the rear diff. This is the first car that I have liked thicker rear diff oil, it looks the car in perfectly on the XB8, where as on other cars it made it erradic on the track.

AE | Reedy | KO | Tekin | Powermaster | Avid | Upgrade | BCE | Paint by Smiley
David Joor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-28-2004, 10:04 PM   #397
Tech Fanatic

Quote:
Originally posted by David Joor
Run this setup, http://www.teamxray.net/downloads/XB...ard_121304.pdf

I have close to 8 gallons now on the car and been to 7 different tracks of all types. This is where I start on the setup. The biggest thing that will take away the on-power steering for me was going up in rear diff oil, I run 3k now. The droop mod will obviously help this as well, but I found more benefit from the rear diff. This is the first car that I have liked thicker rear diff oil, it looks the car in perfectly on the XB8, where as on other cars it made it erradic on the track.
Well David, it first seems kinda weird though. Gotta set that thing up from the other way around. Most buggies that I know would get more on power steering if you thicken up rear diff oil. But this is sure a different kinda beast lol.

I think that was why some ppl at the local track had given up the xb8. The reason is a pure preconception when setting up the buggy. Most refused to see things from another prespective.
Old 12-28-2004, 10:27 PM   #398
Tech Addict

You hit the nail on the head, the setup that is most popular right now for the XB8 is Gene's setup and it isn't a setup for the XB8, it is a K2 setup transferred over.

The reason why so many bailed on the car is because they got it overseas before anybody had a chance to test the car on American style tracks. Every person I talk to about this Xray except for a few have been trying parts from other cars to make it more like their old cars and setups. That is the wrong thing to do, think outside the box. This car is lighter and has the weight more centered, which makes it a completely different animal. My first setup, which was the K2 setup, to the setup I run now is night and day difference. Two totally different feeling cars.

First setup was very fast and thought the car couldn't be improved. The car would rotate on a dime, however it was sketch in the rear when you wanted to come out hard in the turns. I had to be on top of the car driving wise all the time, if I tried to push the car hard it wouldn't take it. The setup I run now, I can beat the car into the ground as hard as I want and it eats it up. I can grab full wood out of corners and I hardly have to focus on the car to get it to stay stable.

I am not even close to testing everything out, conicals haven't even been in my car yet and I need to do a lot more strange diff testing, but this just takes time.

Old 12-30-2004, 12:50 AM   #399
Tech Regular

thanks for all your hard work & testing David

anything that makes it easier for us to master these new cars is certainly worth trying
Old 12-30-2004, 07:28 AM   #400
Tech Addict

Went to the track today and was running 5/7/3, went to 5/7/5 and the car was not as stable in the rear coming out of turns and noticed it was grabbing edges coming out more (getting more tossed around). The car felt how most cars react to going up in the rear, however the jump from 1 to 3 in the rear locked it in, the jump from 3 to 5 had the opposite effect in my book. Then went to 5/5/5 and the car got a ton more low speed steering, still touchy on exiting, but handled the bumpy step down so much better and smoother. The car with the 5/5/5 felt a lot like 5/7/1 in the turns but more stable in bumps. I wish I could tell you why it got better low speed rotation with the 5/5/5 over the 5/7/5 but I can't, I wasn't expecting that to happen. Going to put in 5/5/3 and run that for this weekend. I liked the low speed steering increase bump handling, but want the rear to be locked in just a tad more.

Old 01-05-2005, 06:23 PM   #401
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 72 (100%+)
Default Wheelers join the XRAY team!!!

Josh and Justin Wheeler and their mechanic, Dad of course, join Team XRAY for the 2005 race season!!!
Rich Panganiban is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 06:53 AM   #402
Tech Elite

French top driver Yannick Aigon is going to work as employe at the RB plant in france, so he will probably be racing the Xray xb8 and perhaps go by rb motors too ???

Last edited by speedy2; 01-08-2005 at 04:24 AM.
speedy2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 04:00 PM   #403
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 81 (100%+)

i hope to get mines in a day or so.
Motorman007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 07:40 PM   #404
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 20 (100%+)

Motorman, you won't be disappointed.
Brandon Powell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-06-2005, 11:40 PM   #405
Tech Apprentice

D.Joor, I am racing in Europe.
We have got a little but very technical track with tons of traction, do you still recommend using your setup or is there something better for small european tracks?
Mr.No1 is offline   Reply With Quote