Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Charging 2 4900 trakpower packs in series? >

Charging 2 4900 trakpower packs in series?

Charging 2 4900 trakpower packs in series?

Old 11-02-2009, 06:07 PM
Tech Fanatic

Location: Queensland, Australia, Earth, Galaxy, Universe, A Childs Sandpit
Trader Rating: 42 (100%+)
Default Charging 2 4900 trakpower packs in series?

I've asked this question elsewhere but I decided to put it out to the masses.
I have a question regarding charging two packs at the same time. I'm in the process of converting an RC8 to electric and I already have 4 trakpower 4900 packs that I want to use.. This way I have two for use and two on charge. Now the question is do I need two charges to charge each pack or can I charge them in series with my Hyperion charger that's capable of charging 6s lipos? In series would be in a sense only 4 cells but is charging in series ok to do? My thought is that the pack is wired in series so adding another pack in series is still like having a single 4s pack. Right? or wrong? And if so how can I balance the two packs at the same time? I already have the 2s-6s balance harness for the hyperion 606i but I can't seem to find the wiring harness to do such a thing..
Cheers lads.
Old 11-02-2009, 08:08 PM
Super Moderator

You’re on the right track, but need a more powerful charger to make it worthwhile in my opinion. A common 50w charger like your Hyp 606i would only do around 3 amps on a 4s.

Also good to be concerned about balancing, as cells go up more chances for issues. Probably need to make/modify your own harness.
Old 11-03-2009, 05:16 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Charging in series is not too much of an issue, a series harness and you're in business. Its the balancing thats the dicey side of series charging. You need to make a balance harness so the charger sees all 4 cells, a series harness. Its not straight forward, the wiring can lead to shorting the lipos.

Maybe start here, get an idea what you need to do -

http://www.rc-monster.com/forum/showthread.php?t=22143
Old 11-03-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Rookie

I run 2 2S 5000 35C Protek packs in Series for racing my 8E. I charge in series as well. I simply have 2 "Blinky" balancers, hook one to each 2S battery. Not hi tech, but has been working perfectly fo 6 months.
Old 11-03-2009, 08:20 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

You can charge in series no problem. You just have to wire up the main leads and balancer leads in series. Like previously said though if you hook the main leads or balancer leads up backwards it will dead short the cells.

A much safer way to charge two packs at once is by wiring them up parallel. No possibility of hooking things backwards. Look at the battery forum on rcgroups.com. There is a huge thread there about parallel charging.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:44 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

I've done serial charging of two packs using an FMA Balance Pro charger. As stated before you need to make up a serial harness for the charge leads and the balance taps. It's really not a big deal.

Personally, I would do serial over parallel. If you're discharging them serially, why charge parallel. If there is ANY vlotage mismatch between the batteries when you hook them together in parallel you're going to get current flowing unabated(only the resistance of the packs themselves) between the two packs. That could potentially damage the packs in the long run.
Old 11-03-2009, 09:45 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

If you makeup a serial harness for the taps you could get away with one blinky.

Originally Posted by newhobby View Post
I run 2 2S 5000 35C Protek packs in Series for racing my 8E. I charge in series as well. I simply have 2 "Blinky" balancers, hook one to each 2S battery. Not hi tech, but has been working perfectly fo 6 months.
Old 11-03-2009, 10:29 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 124 (100%+)

Hyperion EOS 1210i is a charger I own and you can charge two packs like stated above.

Specs:

NEW! Hyperion EOS 1210i 12S 30N CHARGER, with Terminal Capacity Selection and Speed 2C Rate - See Details!

IMPORTANT TECH NOTES FROM HYPERION

Connection Order:

Always connect the MAIN pack leads (the two +/- thick wires) to the charger FIRST, then insert the BALANCE Connector into the charger balance adapter.

Disconnection Order:
Always disconnect the BALANCE connector from the charger FIRST and then disconnect the MAIN pack leads (the two +/- thick wires).

The EOS 1210i is an extremely powerful (180W, 10A max), versatile, easy-to-use charger with special features for speed charging lithium packs up to 12S! 2C rates are possible - in addition to Terminal Capacity Selection - allowing you to charge and fly lithium polymer packs* in as little as 27 minutes. NiCd and NiMH packs of up to 30 cells, and lead-acid batteries to 12V are also supported. Output Charge Cord/Connector set included.

Monitor the individual cell voltages on the LCD screen of EOS1210i while you balance your lithium packs with LBA 10 and optional cable #HP-EOSLBA10-DPC. Network two LBA 10 together with NET Adapter pack #HP-EOSLBA10-MSC, and you can charge two packs of same cell type and capacity (such as 6S and 6S) at the same time, and every cell in both packs will be balanced to the other when charging is done, for packs from 7S to 12S!

HP-EOS1210I-SEN is the Temperature sensor for EOS1210i. It plugs into a dedicated port and allows you to specify a pack temperature at which charging will be stopped, and/or monitor pack temp during the charge.

Dimensions: 6cm tall x 15.5cm front/back x 14.5cm wide (2.35 x 6.0 x 5.7")
Weight: 640g (1.4lbs)

*27-28minute estimate on basis of lithium pack rated for 2C+ charge rate, with terminal capacity selection of 90%. All Hyperion lithium batteries are rated for 2C+ charging.