A couple newbie RTR SC10 questions >

A couple newbie RTR SC10 questions

A couple newbie RTR SC10 questions

Old 10-30-2009, 04:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)
Default A couple newbie RTR SC10 questions

Hey Guys,

Last weekend we went to a pumpkin patch and they were renting out Slashes. My 6yo son wanted to try it out and liked it. I had already decided to get him a truck soon so I bought a used SC10 here on rctech. This will be his first car and we will use it in parking lots for the most part. I'm an experienced boat and pylon racer just not up on the latest car tech. The last car I owned was a RC10 Gold Pan(1993?).

So I have a couple questions:
1. I'm assuming that you can dial the throttle ATV on the radio down to limit the speed of the car until he get used to it, correct?

2. Is there anything else I should do to settle the truck down and keep it on it's wheels? 1 degree rear toe in, long wheel base, smaller pinion, etc.

3. What kind of run times should I expect out of a 3600mah lipo pack?

Thanks,

Chris
Old 10-30-2009, 04:43 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Originally Posted by ChrisAttebery View Post
Hey Guys,

Last weekend we went to a pumpkin patch and they were renting out Slashes. My 6yo son wanted to try it out and liked it. I had already decided to get him a truck soon so I bought a used SC10 here on rctech. This will be his first car and we will use it in parking lots for the most part. I'm an experienced boat and pylon racer just not up on the latest car tech. The last car I owned was a RC10 Gold Pan(1993?).

So I have a couple questions:
1. I'm assuming that you can dial the throttle ATV on the radio down to limit the speed of the car until he get used to it, correct?

2. Is there anything else I should do to settle the truck down and keep it on it's wheels? 1 degree rear toe in, long wheel base, smaller pinion, etc.

3. What kind of run times should I expect out of a 3600mah lipo pack?

Thanks,

Chris
wel i have a question for u. why were they renting slashes at a pumpkn patch
Old 10-30-2009, 04:55 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

Chris, I just went and looked at an XP2 radio, which I think is what the RTR comes with? It has low and high ATV so you should be able to set the throttle endpoints to control speed and punch. As far as runtime, the limiting factor will be motor heat, not batteries. I can easily get 7 minutes out of mine (w/ RTR motor and speedo) in a race, but that's about as long as you want to run a brushed motor b/c of the heat. At his age he'll be driving it pretty slowly at first so probably won't heat up as much so he can probably drive longer. Check the pinion size also. The early RTR had a 20T pinion and it was too big. The newer ones come with an 18T and it works well. Great truck, he'll love it.
Old 10-30-2009, 05:11 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 121 (100%+)

Forest, It was Swank Farms in Hollister, CA.

CJ, Thanks for comfirming my thoughts on the ATV. I'll check out the pinion before we run it.

How small of a pinion can you run with the stock 87T spur gear?
Old 10-30-2009, 06:53 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)

one to two smaller

the stock setups are not that fast to begin with. Your best bet would buy some cheap nimh batteries that dont have a lot of power and let him run them down.