Rustler or Slash?

Reply

Old 10-29-2009, 08:21 AM
  #16  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (91)
 
Outtacontrol58's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Location: FLORIDA
Posts: 2,129
Trader Rating: 91 (98%+)
Default

+100 on the HPI Blitz.....Get It!
Outtacontrol58 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:32 AM
  #17  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (114)
 
blade329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 5,127
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by BR0oTAL RCracer View Post
Which is better?
I have had both, for my daughter. The Slash is better. It's more durable and has a bigger following for bashing and racing. My daughter caused some damage to the Rustler, but never broke a thing on the Slash.

Unless you are looking for a full race truck that you have to buy new tires, tune like crazy, buy a new radio, buy a new ESC, buy a new servo, etc. Then listen to dolts like this guy......

Originally Posted by viper7016 View Post
HPI Blitz, 1000% better than either.
Yeah, and I'm a Chinese jet pilot.
blade329 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:34 AM
  #18  
Tech Apprentice
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 51
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by viper7016 View Post
HPI Blitz, 1000% better than either.
if your going that way why not try a flux or a losi 8ight or any other car out there

I liked my rusty but found out quickly that it is more cost effective to get a 1/8 scale brushless converted from a roller (i.e. I got my eight-t 1.0 roller off of this forum for 135 shipped) because I probably payed more then enough to buy a new one from the parts I broke on my vxl because well from my expieriance the 1/10th scales are pretty weak(excluding the monster trucks like the maxx, revos, and savages)

all in all I recommend going for the better stuff and not dealing with the headaches of breaking parts
ScharfSchutze13 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:39 AM
  #19  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (41)
 
OG RC 10T's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2007
Posts: 2,658
Trader Rating: 41 (100%+)
Default

They are both good trucks from the same manafacture, in the same price range. Either one is just as good as the other.

If your going to race, the slash has its own class at many of the tracks.

On the track the rustler is not competitive with the other stadium trucks out there, such as the T4 or RT5.

If your not going to race either truck will work perfectly fine for all intensive purposes.
OG RC 10T is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:49 AM
  #20  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toledo, Oh
Posts: 552
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by blade329 View Post



Yeah, and I'm a Chinese jet pilot.

You say you don't like the SC10 or Blitz because you have to tweak it out of the box...
I don't know about you, but to me, adjusting the setup on a truck is a lot easier then trying to re-engineer a badly designed truck.


Originally Posted by ScharfSchutze13 View Post
if your going that way why not try a flux or a losi 8ight or any other car out there


I have a brushless 1/8 scale buggy and truggy. They aren't bashers. Sure they're tough, but they wont take the kind of abuse that a 4lb all plastic truck will.
viper7016 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:53 AM
  #21  
MDB
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 533
Default

Originally Posted by lowtec View Post
so he can have a diff leak puddle right out of the box?

Easy fix yet still tons better than the Slash.
MDB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 08:54 AM
  #22  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toledo, Oh
Posts: 552
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Oh yea, I forgot to respond to that. My Blitz arrived perfectly, no leaks, no problems.
viper7016 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:06 AM
  #23  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 170
Default

Originally Posted by Zerodefect View Post
Slash.

No contest. You can race the Slash and its one of the most fun classes in RC. The Rustler kinda stinks, and deosn't stand a chance raceing in its class.
Not everyone wants to race, though......most rc customers dont race at all and never will.
The rustler is definately more fun to drive because it is faster (brushless or brushed) than the slash. Most of the important parts are the same between them, so getting parts from your LHS shouldnt be an issue either way you go, sooo....
1.The slash is harder to break than the Rustler
2.The rustler is more fun to bash.
3.Both are easy to get parts.
4.The rustler will use up tires more quickly if you run it on the pavement
macrossplus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 09:20 AM
  #24  
Tech Adept
iTrader: (-1)
 
Join Date: Oct 2009
Posts: 170
Default

[QUOTE=viper7016;6536934]You say you don't like the SC10 or Blitz because you have to tweak it out of the box...
I don't know about you, but to me, adjusting the setup on a truck is a lot easier then trying to re-engineer a badly designed truck.






Huh? What badly designed truck are you talking about? The slash handles well enough to be its own class, its wicked hard to break, it costs less (or the same) as the other manu's trucks designed to compete with it AND its completely waterproof! Doesent sound poorly engineered to me.

Ive driven all three trucks (slash,sc10, Blitz) and all of them seem to drive like crap out the box on a track that is anything less than super high traction. I bought an HPI Blitz yesterday to let me friend run around with it at our local track and we spent all night getting it dieled in. It ran well at the end of the night, but so did an adjusted slash....

i personally think that in stock form, those tucks are so slow on a track that they are all about the same, so it comes down to other things like parts availability, affordability, and breakability(is that a word?)....
Get a slash, get a rustler, youll like both of em......

oh, wait, to confuse your decision even more, I just remembered, the rustler is like $50 cheaper than the slash.....does that help?
macrossplus is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:32 AM
  #25  
MDB
Suspended
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 533
Default

Originally Posted by macrossplus View Post

The slash handles well enough to be its own class,
It has to have it's own class because it is not competitive against other manufacturers without modding it.
MDB is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 10:34 AM
  #26  
Tech Initiate
 
thercpro's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2009
Posts: 33
Default

slah all the way no matter what c rustler has nothing but a brushless just wait for the 4x4 to come out:ha :: ha:
thercpro is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:04 PM
  #27  
Tech Master
iTrader: (1)
 
sLaSh It UPP's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Location: Long Island
Posts: 1,872
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by thercpro View Post
slah all the way no matter what c rustler has nothing but a brushless just wait for the 4x4 to come out:ha :: ha:
ok??? you just could have mentioned to purchase a slash without all of the laughing
sLaSh It UPP is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 01:14 PM
  #28  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (114)
 
blade329's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2008
Location: Glendora, CA
Posts: 5,127
Trader Rating: 114 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by viper7016 View Post
You say you don't like the SC10 or Blitz because you have to tweak it out of the box...
I don't know about you, but to me, adjusting the setup on a truck is a lot easier then trying to re-engineer a badly designed truck.

I have a brushless 1/8 scale buggy and truggy. They aren't bashers. Sure they're tough, but they wont take the kind of abuse that a 4lb all plastic truck will.
Badly designed truck???? In what alternate reality is this statement true? The Slash is designed very well. I have had to replace very few parts on it, made few tweaks, and I have raced the hell out of it. Few trucks have the appeal to so many people as this truck does. I had to spend a lot of time and money to get the SC10 to where I am happy with it. I don't know yet about the Blitz. We'll see how much effort/money that will take to get it "race ready". My guess is that the SCT 4WD trucks will be the same situation.
blade329 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 03:38 PM
  #29  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (3)
 
cyclone x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Gaithersburg MD
Posts: 2,547
Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by Outtacontrol58 View Post
+100 on the HPI Blitz.....Get It!
ill agree with that haha i have already had a blast with the truck
cyclone x is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2009, 04:55 PM
  #30  
Tech Addict
iTrader: (26)
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Location: Toledo, Oh
Posts: 552
Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by blade329 View Post
Badly designed truck???? In what alternate reality is this statement true?


The rear bumper mount on the slash continuously pops off/gets grass and dirt stuck in it. The rear bumper lower mounts hit the ground when you land a jump and wear through so the bumper pivots up and leaves your motor with no protection

The steering bellcranks pop out of their mounting holes because Traxxas didn't put a mounting screw between them to support it.

The front bumper cradles the body, eventually causing stress cracks by the bottom of the windshield on the sides of the body. 70% or more of the time the body is stuck on top of the front bumper looking ridiculous and putting more stress on the body.

The differential isn't sealed and has weak internal gears.

The stock slider driveshafts are weak under brushless power. With any kind of power they frequently get jammed up with dirt and sand making it so they can't slide and in turn lock up the rear suspension and destroy rear wheel bearings.

The stock shocks are more than well known for popping caps on anything but the smallest of jumps.

Then you have the high CG and different track widths front and rear issue.



The Slash is a great truck, I'm not saying it isn't. And yes, it was the first to come out.
However if someone is thinking about buying a corr style 2WD truck why should they not go with a more refined design that has less problems and better performance? I'm glad you love your Slash, but it has way more problems and annoyances than a Blitz.
viper7016 is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service