Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
losi 8 2.0 buggy smartdiff with electric >

losi 8 2.0 buggy smartdiff with electric

losi 8 2.0 buggy smartdiff with electric

Old 10-22-2009, 05:47 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 35 (100%+)
Default losi 8 2.0 buggy smartdiff with electric

if i convert my 8 2.0 buggy to electric with the tekno kit, are smart diffs still a good upgrade???
Old 10-22-2009, 11:45 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Im running the CSD and i like it so far ! Going to try the FSD next season
Old 10-22-2009, 12:05 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)

Originally Posted by razorburn View Post
Im running the CSD and i like it so far ! Going to try the FSD next season
same

I have the center, love it
Old 10-22-2009, 12:12 PM
Tech Adept

Default Smart Diff

In electric trim, the center smart diff really frees up the buggy upon rotation thru the turns. If you are used to the std gear diff, this option will make the buggy feel "loose" in the turns, but once you get used to it, it definately makes a difference. There is a drawback, the std gear diff is bulletproof...and the smart diff requires alot of maintenance. In my opinion, you cannot simply drop it in and run it for more than one race weekend without a rebuild. If you take your cars down every race, the SD is a great option. But if you are on the other end of the spektrum...well you get the point. Also, I've tried the front SD, and I personally did not like it. Made the car very "darty" and hard to drive on rough tracks. I hope this helps....

-CB
Old 10-22-2009, 12:15 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by cb71x View Post
In electric trim, the center smart diff really frees up the buggy upon rotation thru the turns. If you are used to the std gear diff, this option will make the buggy feel "loose" in the turns, but once you get used to it, it definately makes a difference. There is a drawback, the std gear diff is bulletproof...and the smart diff requires alot of maintenance. In my opinion, you cannot simply drop it in and run it for more than one race weekend without a rebuild. If you take your cars down every race, the SD is a great option. But if you are on the other end of the spektrum...well you get the point. Also, I've tried the front SD, and I personally did not like it. Made the car very "darty" and hard to drive on rough tracks. I hope this helps....

-CB
And this is the issue I've been hearing from my friends with the Nitro 8ights. Question for you though.. when you said you have to rebuild it, what exactly do you need to rebuild in the SD? Do you need to replace any parts or just grease?
Old 10-22-2009, 05:17 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I have the Center Smart Diff and it doesn't seem to lock up at all. (There is almost no torque to the rear wheels). Maybe it is because I am using the kyosho plastic spur, i am not sure. I've rebuilt it at least three times with no luck. Before I give up, I will try 10K fluid so it will at least act as a normal diff.
Old 10-22-2009, 07:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

try stiffer springs I put in 2 3.5 with the grease still never snappy loose on cracking the throttle , just pulls , I think it kinda gives the clutch effect. jmnbo
Old 10-24-2009, 11:44 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I don't know, but it says in the intructions that the lighter springs you use, the easier the diff will lock up. Granted I've only tried the stock setup.