Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help!!! for a Tamtech Hornet

Search this Thread

Old 10-18-2009, 05:01 PM
Tech Rookie

Questions?? Help!!! for a Tamtech Hornet

I have to admit that I am new to all of this so I hope I don't mess it up too bad. I just bought a 1/18 Tamiya Tamtech Hornet. I am finding the need for a little stronger motor. I saw that user "drsmooth" has a friend that has a a Hornet and he has a Ready Micro brushless motor in it. Does he need a different esc for that or will the one that came with the car work. I don't have a lot of money and just need a little more off road zip. Open to any suggestions.
Old 10-19-2009, 03:39 AM
Tech Apprentice

Ive got a Tamtech Hornet too, added a Mamba Brushless Esc and Motor.
Its a good car but unfortunately is not that popular. If you plan on spending lots of money on this I recommend you just get a larger scale car or more popular mini as personally I found to get these small things to be as durable as a larger car can cost a bit and parts a bit hard to find now.
EZrun may have a brushless system for minis, can anyone confirm?
Old 10-27-2009, 05:32 AM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for the information. I will see if I can find a motor and esc that is not too expensive. I do know I have to put different shocks on it. If anyone has information on a motor I appreciate ANY help.
Old 10-27-2009, 08:12 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 25 (100%+)

You should post this in the Mini/Micro section....it'd garner many more responses.

As far as motors though, pretty muvh any 370 sized motor is going to be faster then the stocker. I used to have a Wild Boar which is the truch Tamtech and I ran the AE super 370 in it and it was noticeably faster then the stock Tamiya motor. I also ran a Mamba 6800 in it and beat the heack out of it with nothing broken.

The Reedy Micro Brushless systems will bolt right in, but you will need the ESC and motor.....those run sround 85 bucks.
You could also get a better battery for around 20 bucks and get an AE motor for around 9 bucks and then upgrade to a brushless setup further down the road.

For shocks, I believe 3 Racing makes a set for the buggy, but you'll probably have to order it through hong kong.
I mounted a set of AE 18T shocks on my Boar.

Check thetoyz.com for parts.
Old 11-01-2009, 08:10 PM
Tech Rookie

Thanks for getting back to me. I am pretty sure I found an EZ system with esc and motor that should bolt up to it for $45.00. My friend thinks he can get some shocks for about $15.00. I think I will be set with those. I hope!