Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Time to make the switch? >

Time to make the switch?

Time to make the switch?

Old 10-17-2009, 01:19 AM
  #1  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 77
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default Time to make the switch?

Hello, after a good deal of consideration I am thinking about getting a 1/8 electric buggy to use for club racing. I have some experience with nitro and am quite fond of these cars, but after reading a number of threads here, I think the electric counterpart is definitively worth a try. I have done a considerable amount of reading regarding electric cars and their components, but the shear amount of information makes me very easily sidetracked. I am leaning towards the Hot Bodies Ve8 kit and the Tekin RX8/Redline T8 1/8th Scale Buggy Brushless ESC/Motor Combo (2050kV) and maybe the Thunder Power "Pro Race" 4S Li-Polymer Battery 40C (14.8V/5000mAh). I am still wondering what else do I need to complete the kit in terms of electronics? Do the kits come with gears or pinions? Do these components come recommended? Can anyone provide better or more reliable parts? Thanks in advance, the direct responses are very helpful.
rememberthis is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 05:52 AM
  #2  
Tech Adept
 
SwisströM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 106
Default

Originally Posted by rememberthis View Post
Hello, after a good deal of consideration I am thinking about getting a 1/8 electric buggy to use for club racing. I have some experience with nitro and am quite fond of these cars, but after reading a number of threads here, I think the electric counterpart is definitively worth a try. I have done a considerable amount of reading regarding electric cars and their components, but the shear amount of information makes me very easily sidetracked. I am leaning towards the Hot Bodies Ve8 kit and the Tekin RX8/Redline T8 1/8th Scale Buggy Brushless ESC/Motor Combo (2050kV) and maybe the Thunder Power "Pro Race" 4S Li-Polymer Battery 40C (14.8V/5000mAh). I am still wondering what else do I need to complete the kit in terms of electronics? Do the kits come with gears or pinions? Do these components come recommended? Can anyone provide better or more reliable parts? Thanks in advance, the direct responses are very helpful.
Excellent choices.

To complete the setup you'll need:

- Longer sensor cable (I recommend TQ Racing 275mm), if you want to use the RX8 sensors
- Steering servo (I'm using a Hitec 7955TG and it's really good)
- Brake servo (if you want to use mechanical brakes, I don't).
- Hotbodies Pinion Gear (don't use another brand, it will be much quieter with HB pinions).
- Tekin Hotwire (to run the motor in "reverse moder", required for the HB Ve8)
SwisströM is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 06:33 AM
  #3  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 864
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by rememberthis View Post
Hello, after a good deal of consideration I am thinking about getting a 1/8 electric buggy to use for club racing. I have some experience with nitro and am quite fond of these cars, but after reading a number of threads here, I think the electric counterpart is definitively worth a try. I have done a considerable amount of reading regarding electric cars and their components, but the shear amount of information makes me very easily sidetracked. I am leaning towards the Hot Bodies Ve8 kit and the Tekin RX8/Redline T8 1/8th Scale Buggy Brushless ESC/Motor Combo (2050kV) and maybe the Thunder Power "Pro Race" 4S Li-Polymer Battery 40C (14.8V/5000mAh). I am still wondering what else do I need to complete the kit in terms of electronics? Do the kits come with gears or pinions? Do these components come recommended? Can anyone provide better or more reliable parts? Thanks in advance, the direct responses are very helpful.
IMO I don't think the electric part of 1/8 is any where close to reliable yet for racing, if you want to play and can afford to have it down for wks at a time fine, but no one is making a reliable esc IMO at this time, that said I do have one and the esc is in for repairs, theres new ones coming out soon and I think you might be better off waiting for better equipment. Good luck.
jnyrcr is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 06:39 AM
  #4  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
SuperEk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 10,333
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jnyrcr View Post
IMO I don't think the electric part of 1/8 is any where close to reliable yet for racing, if you want to play and can afford to have it down for wks at a time fine, but no one is making a reliable esc IMO at this time, that said I do have one and the esc is in for repairs, theres new ones coming out soon and I think you might be better off waiting for better equipment. Good luck.
That's not true dude! Even my hobbywing 150amp is good my friend's tekin rx8 is good.

I even race with nitro it all depends on your setup, batts, motor n gearing. As long the temperature is ok. It can run all day!

I guess alot of guys here will tell u that! Lol
SuperEk4 is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 06:43 AM
  #5  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 864
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SuperEk4 View Post
That's not true dude! Even my hobbywing 150amp is good my friend's tekin rx8 is good.

I even race with nitro it all depends on your setup, batts, motor n gearing. As long the temperature is ok. It can run all day!

I guess alot of guys here will tell u that! Lol
so you think there as reliable as 1/10, read the forum, don't get me wrong I like them, but saying there reliable is a stretch at best.
jnyrcr is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 07:14 AM
  #6  
Tech Champion
iTrader: (1)
 
R40Victim's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2005
Location: N.W. FL___L.A.___Lower Alabama
Posts: 7,827
Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by jnyrcr View Post
so you think there as reliable as 1/10, read the forum, don't get me wrong I like them, but saying there reliable is a stretch at best.
The Tekin and Castle systems work, the Xcelerin and Novak HV systems don't. With anything this high powered and complex, people are bound to do something air headed and fry it. Realizing how much $$ they just cost themselves with a simple brain fart, they go online, whine... cry and blame the system. I have the Castle 2200 and the Tekin 1700 truggy systems. The Castle is almost a year old and the Tekin is coming up on 6 months, NO ISSUES. In fact during one of my races, the Tekin ESC broke loose from its mount, and yanked the sensor wire out of the motor. The truggy just kept right on going, and I finished the race.

When properly assembled and treated, they are every bit as reliable as the 10th scales.
R40Victim is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 07:32 AM
  #7  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (5)
 
Join Date: Dec 2005
Location: Pacific Northwest
Posts: 864
Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
The Tekin and Castle systems work, the Xcelerin and Novak HV systems don't. With anything this high powered and complex, people are bound to do something air headed and fry it. Realizing how much $$ they just cost themselves with a simple brain fart, they go online, whine... cry and blame the system. I have the Castle 2200 and the Tekin 1700 truggy systems. The Castle is almost a year old and the Tekin is coming up on 6 months, NO ISSUES. In fact during one of my races, the Tekin ESC broke loose from its mount, and yanked the sensor wire out of the motor. The truggy just kept right on going, and I finished the race.

When properly assembled and treated, they are every bit as reliable as the 10th scales.
yea I guess thats why the 1/10 scale thread is full of the same storys, all those whinners that don't know what there doing, wow, I don't expect these to be as reliable as 1/10 when there not spending anymore on them than they are, if I buy a 1/10 gas motor it cost about half of what an 1/8 gas motor cost, you make me a 250 to 300 esc thats bullet proof and I'll buy it all day long, and I think most people would, but to sit here and say that 1/8 esc is as reliable as a 1/10 just isn't true.
jnyrcr is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 07:34 AM
  #8  
Tech Fanatic
iTrader: (2)
 
jmcvicker's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Location: SE Pennsylvania
Posts: 814
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

The number of reported problems tends to be far less than the successes of any product. Though, there was a known issue with somethings like Tekin rotors in their motors.

Buy new and use the company's 1-year warranty for anything, if possible.

The 2050KV and 4S should be great. Definitely make sure to gear things right (buy a few pinions) for your track. If you need to run longer races than 15 minutes, think lower KV, more Cells (ie 1700KV 5S). Tekin offers the most options in terms of motors (well, so does Neu direct also).

The durability of the 1/8s seems to outshine what can break on 1/10 trucks and buggies.
jmcvicker is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 08:15 AM
  #9  
Tech Elite
iTrader: (29)
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 2,463
Trader Rating: 29 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by SwisströM View Post
Excellent choices.

To complete the setup you'll need:

- Longer sensor cable (I recommend TQ Racing 275mm), if you want to use the RX8 sensors
- Steering servo (I'm using a Hitec 7955TG and it's really good)
- Brake servo (if you want to use mechanical brakes, I don't).
- Hotbodies Pinion Gear (don't use another brand, it will be much quieter with HB pinions).
- Tekin Hotwire (to run the motor in "reverse moder", required for the HB Ve8)
My Ve8 hasnt arrived... so i MUST get a longer sensor wire??? and i MUST get hotwire??? I use mac.. LOL
OWTKAST cpt is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 09:24 AM
  #10  
Tech Adept
 
SwisströM's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 106
Default

Originally Posted by OWTKAST cpt View Post
My Ve8 hasnt arrived... so i MUST get a longer sensor wire??? and i MUST get hotwire??? I use mac.. LOL
I'm sure about the longer sensor wire, the 200mm included in the tekin combo is not long enough. The tekin can run sensorless too, but I like the sensored mode better.
I'm not sure about the hotwire, I don't know if the motor can be "reversed" directly from the ESC.
SwisströM is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 10:11 AM
  #11  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 77
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Thanks everyone for the contributions and getting me set in the right direction, a great help. After checking out all the gearing options, can anyone recommend a "standard set" of gearing options i should start off with?
rememberthis is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 10:19 AM
  #12  
Tech Champion
 
Zerodefect's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Location: Columbus, OH
Posts: 5,179
Default

Is it time to switch to electric?- No, NO, NO!
Not too reliable yet. Expensive when they poof. Not enough racers. Short mains

Is it time to build an electric car?-Yes.

I'm running both next year, when classes combine I'm running nitro if my pit guy is competant. Only running 15min mains up here.
Zerodefect is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 11:16 AM
  #13  
Tech Regular
iTrader: (10)
 
cornolio's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2004
Location: Rochester NY
Posts: 278
Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)
Default

isnt the reason for switching to electric reliability?
it it a fact in my case.i switched to electric more than a year ago and
broke 1 esc because of a stupid,stupid crash.jumping my truck on asphalt
aside from that ,nothing else
stick with castle and tekin and youre fine

i just use my nitro when i feel the need to spend on my LHS
cornolio is offline  
Old 10-17-2009, 12:25 PM
  #14  
Tech Apprentice
Thread Starter
iTrader: (2)
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 77
Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)
Default

Is it time to switch to electric?- No, NO, NO!
Not too reliable yet. Expensive when they poof. Not enough racers. Short mains
I guess "switch" is a poor word choice, I didn't mean it in the sense i am giving up nitro, I love the nitro cars, but I would like to see what all this commotion is about .
rememberthis is offline  
Old 10-18-2009, 01:57 AM
  #15  
Tech Lord
iTrader: (32)
 
SuperEk4's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2006
Location: Singapore
Posts: 10,333
Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)
Default

Originally Posted by R40Victim View Post
The Tekin and Castle systems work, the Xcelerin and Novak HV systems don't. With anything this high powered and complex, people are bound to do something air headed and fry it. Realizing how much $$ they just cost themselves with a simple brain fart, they go online, whine... cry and blame the system. I have the Castle 2200 and the Tekin 1700 truggy systems. The Castle is almost a year old and the Tekin is coming up on 6 months, NO ISSUES. In fact during one of my races, the Tekin ESC broke loose from its mount, and yanked the sensor wire out of the motor. The truggy just kept right on going, and I finished the race.

When properly assembled and treated, they are every bit as reliable as the 10th scales.

Well said but you forgot about hobbywing hee
SuperEk4 is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service - Do Not Sell My Personal Information -

Copyright © 2021 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.