Wiki Posts
Search

1/8 Electric

Search this Thread

Old 10-14-2009, 05:29 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)
Default 1/8 Electric

When do you think we will see trucks and buggys in 1/8scale desighed for only electric models not nitro converions or crossovers.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Pretty sure there is a thread about this in the "what will come in 2010 and 2011?"

Old 10-14-2009, 05:34 PM
Tech Initiate

When do you think we will see trucks and buggys in 1/8scale desighed for only electric models not nitro converions or crossovers.
Personally, I hope somebody announces something at the iHobby Expo in Chicago later this month... I'm itching to buy a 1/8 electric buggy and am holding out for any news I may hear.
Old 10-14-2009, 05:36 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Isn't the RC8e already out not to mention Caster's buggy?
Old 10-14-2009, 05:41 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 30 (100%+)

The Rc8E is a nitro convert. I want to jump in the mix but I think we will see companys redesighing 1/8 scale for electric only in the near future.
Old 10-14-2009, 06:24 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 119 (99%+)

hyper 9e, hotbodies Ve8, hpi has one as well
Old 10-14-2009, 06:43 PM
Tech Champion

8ight E, RC8E, Hotbodies, Caster, Jammin.

I'd expect to see an Xray soon. 810 and 810E.

My only fear is that the complete kits will be worse than the conversions.
Losi got the job done well with the E8.

The hotbodies looks like old E ideas that didn't work. The RC8 deosn't look balenced as well as the Losi.
Old 10-15-2009, 11:07 PM
Tech Elite

I think he is implying that the 1/8 electrics are mostly a 1/8 nitro buggy no matter the brand.

Caster was the first to make one and it was different because of the layout and double packs.

Hyper 9e is the farthest away because of the plastic chassis.

Either way it comes down to economics. The Traxxas Slash lines and E Revo lines use as many pre existing parts as possible to keep production costs down. Everyone else does the same thing.

If you want something radically different, then the price will go up exponentially because of all the mold production and fabrication and cad design.

We have other designs, but will probably never take them to market unless something radically different happens in the marketplace. Currently Caster is the best design for balance and handling so there is no reason to reinvent the wheel, but we are beginning to look at a few ideas that would be reasonable to do and improve on what we have done so far.
Old 10-16-2009, 06:27 AM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by hakmazter
Hyper 9e is the farthest away because of the plastic chassis.
The Hot Bodies VE8 has the plastic chassis. The Hyper 9E uses a narrow design where they moved the center diff all the way back so the electronics could be moved closer to the center of the vehicle. I would say those changes, along with caster's dual lipo setup are the farthest away from traditional "conversions".

Ultimately, I guess it depends on what is meant by "not a conversion" specifically? Suspension components should be the same, just chassis layout, etc. I am thinking would be different.

In my opinion, The main thing you need to decide is of the designs out there, what fits your driving style and expectations of a 1/8 electric buggy the best. And if they don't, know what it is specifically you are expecting.