Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Future of Electric in 2010 and 2011 >

Future of Electric in 2010 and 2011

Future of Electric in 2010 and 2011

Old 10-14-2009, 11:17 AM
Tech Adept

Default Future of Electric in 2010 and 2011

I understand that this is an electric forum, and as such, I'm sure there will be some bias. Let us try to keep this discussion unbiased and without fanboy-ism so that we can get some good ideas down.

What do you think the future of electric will bring in the next few years?
Will we see the number of Nitroheads start to dwindle such as we saw the change in the 90s from electric to nitro?
Do you think tracks will be created solely for electrics to capitalize and show off their dominate speed over the slower nitro cars?
Do you believe with the onslaught of 1:1 electric cars in 2010 and 2011 that are planned, and the Telsa getting more and more popular, that this will encourage more nitroheads to switch to electric?

I'm asking this because I have an 8ight-E 2.0 and love it. It's quicker, less maintenance, and less polluting than its nitro brother. The only thing that nitro has going for it is the quick pitstops and that almost 90% of the 1/8 class is still running nitro primarily. This means electrics are excluded from 20+ min mains and endurance runs that can take up to 5 hours.

Lets discuss..

seg
Old 10-14-2009, 11:37 AM
Tech Elite

Electric off-road will never be as popular as it was in the late 80's ~ early 90's.

The competitiveness is not there anymore, less people go to club racing with friends anymore, there are less teenagers involved, and there are too many classes spreading the racing field too thin for any one class to have any pride in winning.

its kinda sad really, I miss the old days...
Old 10-14-2009, 11:41 AM
Tech Addict

Breathing Nitro Fumes indoors is the worst feeling ever, I get sick
everytime I have to breathe that stuff, fans dont help either.
My eyes burn too after marshalling those things, when I leave that
night I have to take a shower to get that nitro smell off of me.
My clothes dont smell very good either, but some people have gotten
used to it. Me I cant stand it. You feel like youre dying when you leave.

Outdoors isnt that bad, because the odor is away from you.

Sad that nitro is more popular here than electric, I have to wait til winter
to run my electric cars. Thank God it's winter again!

The only popular electric class that stays around here is slash spec.
I just hope that doesnt change when the 4wd slash comes out.

Last edited by electricguy007; 10-14-2009 at 11:53 AM.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:51 AM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

Originally Posted by segmentfault View Post
I understand that this is an electric forum, and as such, I'm sure there will be some bias. Let us try to keep this discussion unbiased and without fanboy-ism so that we can get some good ideas down.

Will we see the number of Nitroheads start to dwindle such as we saw the change in the 90s from electric to nitro?
Do you think tracks will be created solely for electrics to capitalize and show off their dominate speed over the slower nitro cars?
Do you believe with the onslaught of 1:1 electric cars in 2010 and 2011 that are planned, and the Telsa getting more and more popular, that this will encourage more nitroheads to switch to electric?

I'm asking this because I have an 8ight-E 2.0 and love it. It's quicker, less maintenance, and less polluting than its nitro brother. The only thing that nitro has going for it is the quick pitstops and that almost 90% of the 1/8 class is still running nitro primarily. This means electrics are excluded from 20+ min mains and endurance runs that can take up to 5 hours.

Lets discuss..

seg
I beleive the future for electric looks bright over the next couple years.Nitro does have it's place, like for super long enduros.But electrics are completely capable of running a 20 min. main with 1 pit stop for a battery swap.
I think what the masses are waiting for is the manufacturers to bulletproof 1/8 motor and speedo set-ups.They have come a long way in the last 2 years, but are still in the stages of constant revision and re-design.So when we see speedos not smoking is when we will see the majority make the leap from nitro to electric power.When 1/8 systems are as reliable and bomb proof as our current 1/10 systems we will see e-1/8 as the primary race class.
Part of the hold up has been price.But now with BL systems and li-pos getting cheaper by the day you can set-up an e-1/8 buggy just about as cheap as a 1/10 buggy set-up for 17.5 stock class.So we are on our way.
Old 10-14-2009, 11:54 AM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

Where did you get the idea that methanol is a polluting fuel?
Old 10-14-2009, 12:03 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I hope and think that E-8th is going to get bigger and bigger. I am a nitro guy that am trying right now to make the switch to electric. I am tired of complete tear downs weekly to clean all the burned oils ect from my car, also I belive that with lipo's getting somewhat cheaper "not cheap enough" the price to get either can be similar. Actually cheaper for the E car if you even think about plugs nitro bump box bla and bla. Dont get me wrong I like nitro but electric bit me and I am going to try it out and leave nitro alone for a while. I at 1st was going to keep my nitro and run both but where I am I wouldnt be able to run both on the same day anyway unless I swapped each car heat to heat. Only 2 times at my local track this past summer was there enough of either buggy to have 2 classes. With the release of some of the new E-cars, I and other DIE HARD nitro guys you never would have thought would buy 1 and have heard them talk bad about e buggies bought 1. So that says something for it self. And when the ESC-motors get less problems there will be more guys jumping ship or adding another class to their stable. 2wd mod pushed the button before me LOL
Old 10-14-2009, 12:14 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by electricguy007 View Post
Breathing Nitro Fumes indoors is the worst feeling ever, I get sick
everytime I have to breathe that stuff, fans dont help either.
My eyes burn too after marshalling those things, when I leave that
night I have to take a shower to get that nitro smell off of me.
My clothes dont smell very good either, but some people have gotten
used to it. Me I cant stand it. You feel like youre dying when you leave...
I agree totally. When I was first looking at getting into the hobby years ago, I watched both disciplines run. The abyssmal electric run times wasn't so hot, but the noise/smell/fumes of the nitro cars was a major deal-breaker. Outside of the run-time, there's nothing appealing about those cars.

Now that battery/motor efficiency is making major leaps (brushless/LiPo), I think the future looks quite bright for electrics
Old 10-14-2009, 12:24 PM
Tech Elite

Location: anywhere I can race 2wd dirt,and 1/12 onroad in MI.
Trader Rating: 39 (100%+)

to add to this subject I would like to add that in our area we have seen the # of entries in our regional electric race series(MORL) more than double over the last 3 years.In 2006 we were seeing an average of just over 100 entries per event,In 2009 we averaged around 225 entries with our largest event of the season pulling over 250 entries.Alot has to do with the ease of use involved with electric now.No more turning comms on motors, or cycling batteries in between race days, and a few other perks that have brought new faces to electric,but have also contributed to bringing alot of guys back to electric that jumped ship to run nitro in the 90's.

Other contributing factors to the rise in #'s for us have been adding E-1/8 in 2008, and then adding slash spec and ROAR SCT in 2009 on top of the standard 1/10 electric classes.
Old 10-14-2009, 12:40 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by segmentfault View Post

Lets discuss..

seg
So as I take it this is a electric 1/8 question?

In the next few years, I don’t see the 1/8 electric making it much bigger than what it is now. The number of people that gets 1/8 get it for the nitro. I work in a LHS and we have a track and from experience new people stop by to see the nitro powered buggies. The only way that nitro becomes smaller is because fuel prices get so high you cant afford to run all day.
Tracks will not be made no different that a nitro track. 1/8 scale is 1/8 scale. You can only go so fast…….. And if you geared your electric to run on a track, they are not much faster that a nitro powered buggy.
I don’t the electric cars whether 1.1 or 1/8 will be popular at all.- we Americans like our gas guzzlers.
And if you race like I race – electric is not less maintenance. My good friend races both nitro and battery operated 2.0s and he spends just as much time on the electric as his nitro. You still have shocks and 3 diffs, you still have suspension, servos ect.
I don’t care not one bit about pollution. I think it’s a government conspiracy to get use to spend more so they can make more. I believe that global warming will happened regardless we drive electric cars and eat corn……I don’t believe you can hurt mother nature.

Give me my NIRTO.

And he asked us nitro guys to put in our two cents
Old 10-14-2009, 12:54 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Let's get one thing straight first, they are not Nitroheads, but rather Nitrobillies. Ok, all kidding aside, I do believe that 1/8 electric is going to grow a lot over the next couple years and ultimately it will displace nitro all together. Iím pretty excited about that because of all the potential new race facilities that could open when you eliminate the noise and fumes of nitro. In the long run it will be very good for the hobby.

As cool as 1/8 E is Iím even more excited about new 1/10 electric possibilities. With the Slash being so popular and the likely hood of the Slash 4x4 being huge Iím hoping there will be some new developments in 1/10 buggy and truck. Even with the current lipos and motors, 1/10 vehicles could get Ĺ lb heavier and still be just as fast, but way more durable. At this time I think the biggest hold back on 1/10 is the durability when compared to 1/8. If ROAR raises the minimum weight 200gms or so a 1/10 could be a lot stronger.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Elite

You will see 1/8 electric align itself with 1/10 electric. It will become popular as a druable alternative to 1/10 electric cars instead of as a more powerful, cleaner, quieter alternative to nitro cars.
Old 10-14-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Lipo batteries have made huge gains in the last 2 years. If in the next 2 year we see simular gains in the battery market, then the one main advantage nitro had(run time) will continue to shrink. As it stands now, the run time advantage isn't all that large.

Already the electric cars are more capable as the torque and instant acceleration electric motors provide can not be matched by nitro engines. If the reliability, weight, and run time continue to improve, then I can't see any reason(other than preference)to run nitro?
Old 10-14-2009, 01:23 PM
Tech Prophet

i agree with token im a nitro guy i used to race electric and i like nitro powerband so much better, i dont see it getting anymore popular intil maybe 2011 0r later than that,i went to a track last week with two guys that race 2 electric buggys and it was a 25 minute main there battries couldnt even last that long now they do run 2 2 cell lipos cause the other ones are to dam expensive, i also just see as much work on a 1/8 elec as a 1/8 nitro and i see electric ones break more also. i dont know why somebody would like to drive a mouse sounding car ,i can run a glowplug more than 3 gallons without changing it and i have no flameouts if tuned rite ,and inless the nitro gas more expensive which i dont see that happen anytime soon , even later in the future there not gone to be all just 1/8 electric buggy there will still be nitro guys reguardless
Old 10-14-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Prophet

nitro engines have more than enough torque espially with a 4 shoe clutch
so i dont get why u want all the rocket torque it just gets u in more troble i know i used to race modified motors
Old 10-14-2009, 01:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I think the future of electric racing is looking up right now. I think its going to depend on the economy whether the growth is in the 1/10 or 1/8 scale class. Right now the 1/8th stuff isnt reliable or cheap but I bet within a year or so that will change. Brushless and Lipos are such huge steps forward not only in speed and performance but in cost savings.

Ive raced both and while I prefer nitro the electric stuff is really starting to appeal to me. Gone are the days you had to cut your comm, replace your brushes, and cycle your batteries between each round. I raced electric 2wd mod a couple winters ago and it was great. All I had to do between rounds was sauce the tires and repeak the battery. Hell I didnt really even have to repeak the battery every round it would last 15-20 minutes on a charge. I could run practice with it until the tire sauce was gone.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service