Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
New "class" of the month!!?? >

New "class" of the month!!??

New "class" of the month!!??

Old 10-12-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Elite

If you want to keep 2wd and 4wd buggy popular, you got to run them with others that feel the same and make it look good and it has to be fun. Head out to big electric races such as the Cactus Classic and the ROAR national championships and support the classes.

Otherwise they will just fade away to another truck class.
Old 10-12-2009, 09:35 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

I agree that all these classes make it a pain sometimes but it's worth it.

The one thing I ABSOLUTELY HATE is because I am so friggin addicted to R/C that all I think about is what I want next, how to mod it, what class should I run, etc. More classes gives me more choices and more inclination to spend the mortgage check on a new car/truck only to sell it 2 weeks later because something new came out!!! GAH!!!
Old 10-12-2009, 09:36 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by blade329
You guys have interesting attitudes. Someone breathes new life into the hobby and all you drones can do is complain about it. If you don't like the new stuff, then don't run it. All I see is the SCT class(es) bringing a ton of new interest into a hobby that people get burnt out of all the time.

I love you man
Old 10-12-2009, 10:00 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

If you want to go old school... the truth is that yes we had fewer classes, but there was much of the same thing going on that we have today. Back then we had guys converting RC10s to 4wd and trucks. And we had the monster trucks too... Double Dare, Clodbuster, etc sometimes being raced.

And the big thing... back then we had new updated buggies all the time. Jrx2... Jrxpro... xx.... xxx. In about the same amount of time, I have now run the same B4 for the last several years without so much as an updated parts kit. I haven't even changed setup much, for 2-3 years.... not to mention that I have motors and lipos that are still usable after several years.

Instead of complaining about new cars coming out... which always happens... just roll with it. We still have the same 2wd class which is the backbone of 1/10 racing, and I doubt that's going to change. I hope these new SC trucks become THE truck class though... we don't need T4 and XXXT anymore
Old 10-12-2009, 10:28 PM
Tech Adept

Originally Posted by RCHR
If you want to keep 2wd and 4wd buggy popular, you got to run them with others that feel the same and make it look good and it has to be fun.

Otherwise they will just fade away to another truck class.
I don't believe 2wd or 4wd buggy will fade. Back in the 90s I had a few buggies and they were popular then as well.
Old 10-12-2009, 11:44 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Anything that breaths new life into our hobby is good!

Most of you weren't around in the hobby when I started... back in the early 90s we had 6 1/10th scale offroad tracks within 30 miles of were I live.. not to mention a bunch of on-road as well.. now.. there is 1.. and a couple more within 100 miles... back in the day most of these tracks raced 2-3 times a week with 60 to 100 racers a night.. most folks only raced one class back then too! Only a handful of these racer regulars went from track to track.. there were also half a dozen or more dedicated hobby shops around as well.. now only a couple...

Don't knock what helps the hobby...

Jerome
Old 10-13-2009, 12:55 AM
wyd
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 51 (100%+)

I raced back when you didn't even have a class. Everyone would get together at the track and race. You ran what you had. I started in the early 80's before the RC10 came out. We ran alot of Tamiya stuff back then. We even race Wild Willys from Tamiya. Just went out and had a good time.

Yes over the years many classes of racing come and go but thats just the the sign of the times.

The SCT has been great for are track and the growth of new and old racers has been huge. We started with 2 or 3 and finished the year with on some weeks 40 racers in the Slash class alone. Been a great way to get racers to the track and don't cost a ton of money so everyone can afford to run them.

New stuff will come and go but I go with the flo because in the end I just want to have local hobbyshops and tracks. Whatever keeps them in business is great for all of us in the hobby.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:12 AM
Tech Champion

Maybe it is due to the club, or the people it attracts?

Head steady organised clubs only race what there is interest for.

Im not saying its bad to listen to your club members (far from it), but yes sometimes too many classes with too fewer entrants can make the racing too thinned out.

Speaking as someone who only races electric on road, it is hard to please everyone as we all have a different ability level, with brushless being the key ingredient to classes these days, not everyone can drive a 13.5 very well, it's too fast for them.

17.5 on the other hand is much easier.

Others have been in the game for years and will happily race 10.5 or faster.

Some days I cant help but think brushless has created the majority of new classes compared to the brushed days (did we see a class only for 10x2 or 16x3 motors for example? no,lol), and new cars coming out too, but nowhere near as much.
Old 10-13-2009, 01:46 AM
Tech Elite

"Class of the week" is because people are always looking for...

An opportunity for fun - a new class is just plain fun. They are different to drive, need a different setup, need different tweaking. Refreshing after 7 years running a B4!

An opportunity to get into the hobby - you don't want to turn RTR racers away - and if the latest RTR turns out to be raceable - why not start a class?

An opportunity to win - one thing us experienced racers know is that the fast lads ALWAYS win, no matter how much tweaking you do, someone will come along and be half-a-second a lap faster. So why not try a new class, and hope that the fast lads don't join in?

I've been at a few clubs where new classes come and go, I've even instigated a new class at a club. Generally they die out after a little while - sometimes they die out after one or two meetings! In the UK, electric offroad has always been about 2wd and 4wd, and always will be. The buggies are fast, handle well, and are well supported - that's what keeps a class alive.
Old 10-13-2009, 08:07 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99
Anything that breaths new life into our hobby is good!

Most of you weren't around in the hobby when I started... back in the early 90s we had 6 1/10th scale offroad tracks within 30 miles of were I live.. not to mention a bunch of on-road as well.. now.. there is 1.. and a couple more within 100 miles... back in the day most of these tracks raced 2-3 times a week with 60 to 100 racers a night.. most folks only raced one class back then too! Only a handful of these racer regulars went from track to track.. there were also half a dozen or more dedicated hobby shops around as well.. now only a couple...

Don't knock what helps the hobby...

Jerome

+1

Jerome, I was there too! We might've bumped into each other from time to time...

Do you remember the chain-driven transmission kits for the RC10? How about the Proline RC10 Stadium Truck conversion kit before AE decided on making a RC10T?

Masami's RC10 Stealth was all I would think about back then!

RCs have come a long way since then, and one of the key ingredient is the constant release of new products, new classes...

I'm happy that there's something new coming out... Buy it or don't buy it, it's up to the individual (and their wallet) to justify it!

Old 10-13-2009, 08:54 AM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 48 (100%+)

Don't you people think that by having new class cars/trucks is great business for the actual hobby shop? Without generating money there will be no tracks/racing to begin with. I love how people can rip apart something thats supposed to be fun and make so serious. There are just way too many bitter people. Sorry for sounding like a D head but c'mon does your life revolve around RC that much?? If your not actually sponsored and or work in the business it doesn't even matter anyway.
Old 10-13-2009, 07:39 PM
Tech Adept

I'm all for having the hobby grow and would love to see more novice classes at the races. I know that back in the day the number of racers were bigger per class, it just seems that now a days there is a class for everything and it just seems to spread everyone out, so instead of a couple of great classes now there are a whole bunch of average classes, but I guess that just my locale....just my opnion
Old 10-13-2009, 07:59 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

One thing I really like about all the new SCT racers is their attitudes! They are there to have fun. They really seem to enjoy the idea of being able to learn a new hobby. Most are a dads and kids just getting into it. No predetermined bias and they aren't trying to show off. I think it's great for the hobby. Some move up to our traditional 1/10th off-road cars.. others just race occasionally. The SCTs are mostly RTR kits.. so what? They also don't require as much maintenance as regular 1/10th scales which is good for beginners... less hassle and headache.

If you don't like them, ok... I don't necessarily want to race one... and I do understand the fustration wth mixed practices. The problem is that the local track officials need to monitor the situation and do something about it to keep everybody happy. A more controlled practice environment seems to work for some tracks I've been to. I've been the victum of the wild Slash or worse, the electric 1/8th scale slamming into my 1/10th buggy.. it's cost me more than a few parts! All I want to be able to do in practice is to put down some fast laps and figure out my setup for the night. The problem isn't "the flavor of the month" it is track management..

Jerome
Old 10-13-2009, 08:11 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

most of the new classes started over the past several years have come directly from a traxxas release. it started with the t maxx, grew more with the revo, now the slash and slash 4x4.
for a company that just keeps putting out rebadged rtr junk in some peoples eyes, i think they are always three steps ahead of all the other companies.

and for the guys that dont like rtr kits and know the average kid now a days is lazy and wouldnt have the patience to build a kit, why would you bash traxxas for making them. after all they are a buisness and if you are sucessful in buisness you know your target customer and make a product THEY will buy, not what you wish they would buy.
Old 10-13-2009, 09:13 PM
ODB
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I am all for anything that brings racers to the track and hobby shop. More classes cater to more drivers, plus some of us enjoy running multiple classes.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.