electric vs. nitro

Old 09-27-2009, 12:51 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default electric vs. nitro

ok now im new to the scene. but i would like to do a little survey. what do you drive electric or nitro. and why do you grive it. what made you choose what you drive. thats really it for my survey im just wondering why people like what they like. this thread will be in both electric off road and nitro off road. i hope to have some good post of the advantages and disadvantages of both electric and nitro. but no arguing about whats better because this is a opinion or prefrence
Old 09-27-2009, 01:22 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

I started in 10th scale electric and had fun and did well. A couple years ago went to nitro Truggy did really good with that now nitro buggy. Even picked up a few 50% sponsors along the way. Dont get it messed up I love nitro but at the same time am getting tired of having to completely dissasemble my car every week to clean the gook and grime off it. So actually as we speak i am in the process of going to 1/8th electric. I am not sure if I am going to keep my nitro stuff or not but I know I am going to love the E-scene. Sure it will be a transition but I see guys take their body off E-cars at the end of the day and its clean. Nitro its in between rounds scrubbing compressed air ect, I am tired of that.
Old 09-27-2009, 01:28 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

i drive a revo and just bought a firestorm flux,revo has some good after market parts lot of it,and the fire storm havent drove it yet,just took it out of the box last night.
Old 09-27-2009, 06:38 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I too started with electric. I knew coming in that if I started with the big toys I could get turned off, because clearly they take more work. After a few years of playing I decided to step up to nitro for the high speeds and realistic sounds and smells. Soon I was very tired of the noise and all the work required to maintain a nitro car. For all out fun the 1/8th scale Nitro buggy was my favorite, but running it week in and week out got very tiring. Now I am all electric, I can run 4 days a week, some evenings and all day on weekends when I have time. Never have to worry about working on my motors or tuning. Clear choice for me! Of course if you have no electrical knowledge then some of the more complicated equipment that is out these days can confuse the new guys.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

Originally Posted by juggalo6106 View Post
..... and why do you drive it? What made you choose what you drive?
We started out driving gas truck many years ago and along the way purchased an Associated RC10T4 for an electric series as well as the charger, batteries and some mod motors. We raced the T4 a few times but it really kind of sucked since there was so much maintenance involved in running the brushed motors. It was every bit as labor intensive (if not more) than a nitro vehicle. We stayed with nitro, going through a couple of REVOs, a JATO and finally ended up with a Mugen MBX5T and MBX5R but we kept the T4 for some reason.

With the recent improvements in batteries and brushless motors we gave electric another try outfitting the old RC10T4 with a brushless system and LiPo battery. There was absolutely no maintenance involved in it! All the things that sucked about racing electric just a short three years prior were now a thing of the past. Picked up a Slash to mess around with, a mini REVO, an Associated B44 and since 1/8 scale systems were coming out we thought we'd give those a try. It has been fun and we have learned a lot along the way. Newer technology has made it all possible and now we don't have to worry about the nuances of running nitro.

The initial buy-in is pretty steep if you buy quality equipment but it is really no more than nitro. The pay off is the instant torque that these systems generate and reliability although we are still working on that with the 1/8 scale systems. Most people who drive nitro are amazed and shocked when they see the 1/8 scale systems run.
Old 09-27-2009, 07:52 PM
Tech Elite

I started out with gas , i had very good luck with nitro. Electric offers a better forgiveness level that nitro doesnt for beginners. I've seen many guys start out with nitro and had adsoutly had no clue what nitro is and how to operate one. Then they have very bad luck with them and give up on rc and blame their local hobby shop for it.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:30 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I started with electric and still run it. The only appeal nitro ever held for me was the near-unlimited run time, but I always hated the smell and the noise.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:36 PM

Trader Rating: 76 (100%+)

I started nitro never could really get into it, I guess that what the hobby shop had at the time, wnet to electric loved it, tried nitro a few more times, back to electric
Old 09-27-2009, 08:38 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

I started with nitro and still race nitro. I did get a few electric 1/10th to race and enjoy both. When I practice I usually drive the electric much more than nitro. The electrics are much less maintenance and easier to run. I love my 1/8 nitro buggy because I can drive the wheels off it and not worry about breaking. I will be getting a 1/8 electric soon as I can afford.
Old 09-27-2009, 08:39 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I raced with nitro for 1 yr burnt 1 engine n always have to depend on my lhs or friends to tune my engine.

Since I started 1/8 ep on dec 2008 I never look back, play more fix or tune engine.

I raced the 1/8 ep n win many ep races. I race vs nitro also in a 40min n got 3rd not bad.

The cost of 1/8 ep is abit higher but u dun get flame out n can play anywhere, no noise.

I also hv 1/10 ep buggy but 1/8 ep is way tougher n faster.

I think 1/8 ep is the nxt generation of rc. Look at all
major brands they all hv ep conversion or ep kit.

U cant go wrong
Old 09-27-2009, 09:20 PM
R/C Tech Elite Member

Trader Rating: 99 (100%+)

First off I think that you will get more electric votes than nitro posting this in the electric off road thread. I would maybe try the same thing in the nitro thread as well and see what kind of response you get there.

I started off in nitro 1/8 scale buggy and moved onto 1/8 scale truggy for a couple of years. Then funny as it is my local track caught the Slash buzz and I had to get one. I then realized how easy maintenance was with electric plus the quiet and ease of it. I then got a hold of a bl e-revo and haven't turned back. I was able to save all my nitro parts which was nice. But as some of the other guys, I am looking into a 1/8 e-buggy. Also mentioned was the initial cost of electric. It can be quite scary but in the long run it is worth it!! averaging the cost of fuel, glow plugs, hours and hours of maintenance and the hassle of tuning your motor. It is well worth it and I plan on staying with electric for a long time.
Old 09-27-2009, 09:26 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by tom2tone View Post
First off I think that you will get more electric votes than nitro posting this in the electric off road thread. I would maybe try the same thing in the nitro thread as well and see what kind of response you get there.

I started off in nitro 1/8 scale buggy and moved onto 1/8 scale truggy for a couple of years. Then funny as it is my local track caught the Slash buzz and I had to get one. I then realized how easy maintenance was with electric plus the quiet and ease of it. I then got a hold of a bl e-revo and haven't turned back. I was able to save all my nitro parts which was nice. But as some of the other guys, I am looking into a 1/8 e-buggy. Also mentioned was the initial cost of electric. It can be quite scary but in the long run it is worth it!! averaging the cost of fuel, glow plugs, hours and hours of maintenance and the hassle of tuning your motor. It is well worth it and I plan on staying with electric for a long time.
i posted this in both electric and nitro
Old 09-27-2009, 09:27 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Fuel, glow plugs, clutch shoe, clutch spring n clutch bell are a weekly or monthly killer!