Tekin T8 or CC/Neu motor??? >

Tekin T8 or CC/Neu motor???

Tekin T8 or CC/Neu motor???

Old 09-26-2009, 12:04 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 18 (100%+)
Default Tekin T8 or CC/Neu motor???

I should be getting another HW EZRun 150A ESC shortly, so once funds replenish, which motor do you recommend? The EZRun can run sensored motors (it has a sensor plug on the ESC). With the CC/Neu, it would run unsensored obviously. With the Tekin, I have the option of running it sensored or unsensored. I might actually get the HPI Tork motor instead of the CC/Neu since it's a bit cheaper.

CC/Neu (HPI Tork) 2200kV

-- or --

Tekin T8 2250kV or 2000kV

I've seen one T8 failure (posted in a forum) with the new rotor. I've never heard of a CC/Neu failing. And the warranty is longer on the CC/Neu (HPI Tork).
Old 09-26-2009, 12:18 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

I haven't driven an EZrun, but I've driven a MMM/Neu, MMM/Castle, and own a MMM/Medusa, and two RX8s/Tekin combos. IMO the Tekin sensored combo is the best for racing performance and the easiest to drive fast and consistent. However, of my 2 Tekin motors and 2 Tekin ESCs I've had a lot of early failures. Both motors had rotors unbond in 3 to 4 runs and 1 esc has failed in about 10-12 runs (the other only has 5 runs so far). The rotors were replaced within days w/o having to send the motors to Tekin, but the esc needs to be sent in for replacement. My Castle ESCs have lasted longer, but at this momment I have both a MMM and MM at Castle for repair or replacement.
Old 09-26-2009, 12:49 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Go-Ride,

I've had people tell me there's a big noticeable difference between the sensored and sensorless motors, while others have said after it gets rolling, you don't notice any difference between the two. Since you have both concurrently, what is your opinion on the difference during driving between the sensored and sensorless motors? Is the difference only felt at very low speeds? Or do you feel the difference also at higher speeds?

Thanks.
Old 09-26-2009, 09:44 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 26 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JSR View Post
Go-Ride,

I've had people tell me there's a big noticeable difference between the sensored and sensorless motors, while others have said after it gets rolling, you don't notice any difference between the two. Since you have both concurrently, what is your opinion on the difference during driving between the sensored and sensorless motors? Is the difference only felt at very low speeds? Or do you feel the difference also at higher speeds?

Thanks.

Once rolling a couple mph the Tekin ESC switches to sensorless mode. They only use sensors for startup. It keeps the motor from getting stuck for a second while starting on an incline or rolling backwards.
Old 09-26-2009, 10:10 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 10 (100%+)

I would suggest you email Hobbywing first. My friend's 150A ESC burnt while trying to use my T8 motor previously. Hobbywing informed him tht although the ESC has sensor port, apparently, it didn't have the software inside. So do not try until you get confirmation from them. My friends are now using the T8 motors & 150A ESC on sensorless mode.
Old 09-26-2009, 11:27 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Go-Ride,

Thanks.

I have ran sensorless stuff my entire R/C career until about 6 weeks ago. I got a used Novak GTB 13.5. Was fun but now have the Tekin 13.5 running in a B4 and it's awesome.

Before that was another B4 with a VXL system, a T4 with a MM 5700, a B44 with a CC 4600kv and so on.

The startup is the main difference obviously but there is something about the sensored systems that make it more enjoyable, smoother to drive. It feels more responsive coming out of the corners and off the jumps.
I'm running sensorless in my Slash and it just feels sloppy for throttle response and the cogging now drives me crazy.

I think "once you go sensored, you won't wanna go back!"
Just my .02
Old 09-27-2009, 07:16 PM
JSR
Tech Master

I did write HW to see if there's anything special I need to do to run a sensored motor and the reply I got was that the EZRun auto-detects the sensored motor and I don't need to do anything special. I'll ask about the software also. I don't want to have a dead ESC on my hands. Thanks for the info!
Old 09-28-2009, 12:37 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

I did write HW to see if there's anything special I need to do to run a sensored motor and the reply I got was that the EZRun auto-detects the sensored motor and I don't need to do anything special. I'll ask about the software also. I don't want to have a dead ESC on my hands. Thanks for the info!
Lol I was the one who burnt the hobbywing esc with tekin motor( I did not follow the ABC. but I confirmed with hobbywing it's ok now. We are running sensored tekin motor just make sure you connect esc to motor according to ABC
Old 09-28-2009, 12:41 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 65 (100%+)

Originally Posted by viper7016 View Post
Once rolling a couple mph the Tekin ESC switches to sensorless mode. They only use sensors for startup.
Interesting. Didn't know that.

I've driven the Tekin and it's smooth. I own the Neu/MMM and it feels "almost" as smooth. I can tell a very sublte difference, but nothing I get nervous about. Also, I have no cogging startup issues on 5S.

After a 10 min main, my buddies identical car (but with a Tekin rig) was at 160 degrees, mine was at 180.

To me the Neu/MMM is pretty dang bullet proof and it's ultimatley why I own it. Sure anything can crap out, but I feel confident with my Neu/MMM system.
Old 09-28-2009, 12:51 AM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 32 (100%+)

Originally Posted by markhat250 View Post
Interesting. Didn't know that.

I've driven the Tekin and it's smooth. I own the Neu/MMM and it feels "almost" as smooth. I can tell a very sublte difference, but nothing I get nervous about. Also, I have no cogging startup issues on 5S.

After a 10 min main, my buddies identical car (but with a Tekin rig) was at 160 degrees, mine was at 180.

To me the Neu/MMM is pretty dang bullet proof and it's ultimatley why I own it. Sure anything can crap out, but I feel confident with my Neu/MMM system.
I m running neu 1515/3d on my hobbywing 150esc no cogging only 200amp per min on a truggy. Motor Temp abt 70 degrees. Esc 50 degrees
Old 09-28-2009, 08:57 AM
JSR
Tech Master

Originally Posted by SuperEk4 View Post
Lol I was the one who burnt the hobbywing esc with tekin motor( I did not follow the ABC. but I confirmed with hobbywing it's ok now. We are running sensored tekin motor just make sure you connect esc to motor according to ABC
When you say ABC do you mean each motor wire has to connect to a certain esc motor wire?

Thanks