Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
Just starting out >

Just starting out

Just starting out

Old 09-21-2009, 01:44 PM
Tech Regular

Default Just starting out

I am just getting into R/C and wondering best advice for starting out. If you were to start now how would you proceed? My planned use is for both racing and bashing.

What are advantages/disadvantages to buggies, trucks & SCT?

What kind of budget should I be looking at for an entry level type vehicle?

Thanks in advance.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:11 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

You have to decide what you want to do before you can decide on the vehicle. Like if you want to race offroad track, go with a buggy or a truggy. If you want to do onroad, or if you want to bash or just want to do top speed.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:37 PM
Tech Champion

Trader Rating: 125 (100%+)

You need to decide what class you want to race . Buggies are the hardest class to race and would suggest either truck or short course truck .
Old 09-21-2009, 02:52 PM
Tech Regular

I posted in "electric off-road" because that is the type of racing I want to get into. Am I correct in electric being an easier starting point than Nitro?

Are buggies more difficult to drive or are there typically better drivers in that class?

I want something that is durable and reasonably easy to maintain. My thought is to start with something easy to get my feet wet and then down the road begin to upgrade.

Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2009, 02:58 PM
Tech Champion

I tell everyone to start with electric as I`ve seen many newcomers get frustrated with nitro and quit the hobby . Buggies can be harder to drive as they are not as forgiving as a truck and IMO the buggy class is for experienced racers . As for which brand , I would go to your track as see what is popular and what the fast guys are running as parts will more available and the racers can help you better .
Old 09-21-2009, 03:13 PM
Tech Regular

Thanks Briguy.

I was thinking trucks or SCT's but did not want to rule out buggies for no reason.

What are the pros and cons of trucks and SCT's? Am I correct that these seperate classes?

Thanks again.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Regular

if your ganna race youll end up racing more than one class, its just how it goes your there all day so have fun think about 2 trucks or a buggy and truck 10th scale is a good place to start.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:17 PM
Tech Champion

Yes , there is a stadium truck class[XXX-T CR and T4 are most popular] and short coarse truck class [Slash , SC10 , Blitz , and Strike ] . For starting out one class is enough . Once you get experienced with tinkering with these then think about a second class .
Old 09-21-2009, 03:30 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Check your local track and see what classes or what the others are driving. It's more fun that way, even for bashing...

Starting off if you look at a RTR like a Slash it's gonna run you about $500.

What you need:
Truck RTR (everything but batteries)
2 4000 nimh batteries to start
Set of standard tools (some come with the kit)
Battery Charger

If you go with a kit, it's going to cost about 200-300 more for
motor
ESC
Controller and Receiver

Sometimes on rctech you can find a used truck for great prices as well as ebay.
Old 09-21-2009, 03:59 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by YDBD
Check your local track and see what classes or what the others are driving. It's more fun that way, even for bashing...

Starting off if you look at a RTR like a Slash it's gonna run you about $500.

What you need:
Truck RTR (everything but batteries)
2 4000 nimh batteries to start
Set of standard tools (some come with the kit)
Battery Charger

If you go with a kit, it's going to cost about 200-300 more for
motor
ESC
Controller and Receiver

Sometimes on rctech you can find a used truck for great prices as well as ebay.
I have a virtually brand new Slash that I am selling if you are interested in getting started.
I had a few parts left over from a Rustler and decided to build a stock spec Slash out of it. It has a brand new rebuilt tranny, all new bearings, brand new chassis, new wheels all around, Cirrus 181oz Servo, new hubs, newly rebuilt shocks, all new hinge pins, etc. Comes with 2 motors, stock ESC, stock radio, and I can throw in a body but it's pretty beat up. If interested send me a PM.
Old 09-21-2009, 04:19 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

check you LHS and see what they have i would suggest SCT, for starters probly the slash, VERY durable, they ave classes for them in every trim, you could bash all day with it, and most hobby shops have complete RTR setups available meaning
RTR Truck w/ Tx/Rx
Battery
Charger
My LHS has the setup w/ a slash for $230
thats a hell of a deal with everything you need to start racing the stock spec slash class
Old 09-21-2009, 05:24 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JATOdriver
check you LHS and see what they have i would suggest SCT, for starters probly the slash, VERY durable, they ave classes for them in every trim, you could bash all day with it, and most hobby shops have complete RTR setups available meaning
RTR Truck w/ Tx/Rx
Battery
Charger
My LHS has the setup w/ a slash for $230
thats a hell of a deal with everything you need to start racing the stock spec slash class
I would totally agree. Though it's not great for deep terrain outdoors, there is nothing better for a beginner that is easy to work on (IF it breaks) and a helluva lotta fun!!!
Zach from 4Seasons demonstrates the durability of his Slash when people ask by grabbing it off the work bench and hurling it 1/2 down the straight away on the track. I've yet to see it break doing that.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:46 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 92 (98%+)
Thumbs up Sick setup for less than $350 all brand new too

Get a Short Course Truck, I have a Slash that i am about to sell to get the new Blitz that is coming out. I just started back into RC after a long break and just started racing and its a ton of fun. Get a Slash or a Blitz, you can find them at $180 bucks. i got an SMC 4100 lipo battery for $55 bucks and a lipo charger with balancer (from Hobbypartz.com) that was $60 shipped to my house. All in all you can get a sick setup nowadays for Spec (Stock) Short COurse racing for less then $350 bucks! Thats what I would do.
Old 09-21-2009, 06:56 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by Outtacontrol58
Get a Short Course Truck, I have a Slash that i am about to sell to get the new Blitz that is coming out. I just started back into RC after a long break and just started racing and its a ton of fun. Get a Slash or a Blitz, you can find them at $180 bucks. i got an SMC 4100 lipo battery for $55 bucks and a lipo charger with balancer (from Hobbypartz.com) that was $60 shipped to my house. All in all you can get a sick setup nowadays for Spec (Stock) Short COurse racing for less then $350 bucks! Thats what I would do.
SC RTRs are a great way to go. They're alot of fun, they look good. And they will develop you as a driver too.
Old 09-21-2009, 07:06 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

of course you could just buy something where most likley you will end up anyways which is 4wd buggy or truggy e or nitro 1/8. they are alot faster and more powerful but 4wd is easier to drive around the track they have more control than 2wd unless the 2wd is really underpowered.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.