Wiki Posts
Search

Help me make my decision.

Search this Thread

Old 09-20-2009, 07:06 PM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default Help me make my decision.

I will have $1200 within the week and I want to get back into offroad rc.
But I need some help deciding what to get.

Here are the vehicles that I am trying to decide between:

BL HPI Blitz or BL Losi Strike

HPI Vorza or Losi 8ight-E 2.0

Ill be mainly bashing, but if the opportunity to race comes along Ill do it. I know the 1/8th buggies are meant for racing, but they would be alright to bash right?
Either way, I will have to purchase the LiPo battery as well as a charger and the motor/esc and radio depending on what I choose.

What are the pros/cons or both the 1/10th SC trucks and the 1/8th buggies?

What would you get?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:24 PM
Tech Lord

Trader Rating: 22 (100%+)

Losi 8E 2.0............. You will be covered Bash or Race.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:25 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

wow....

none of the above....??
Old 09-20-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 264 (100%+)

For bashing I am going to recommend my latest toy.....a Baja 5b.Out of your list I would say 2.0 though.
Old 09-20-2009, 07:35 PM
Tech Addict

Originally Posted by UN4RACING
Losi 8E 2.0............. You will be covered Bash or Race.
Originally Posted by 92 vert
For bashing I am going to recommend my latest toy.....a Baja 5b.Out of your list I would say 2.0 though.
I thought youd say that as the last choice for bashing. Shows what I know! And yeah, a Baja was on the list but I dont have anywhere to drive it.
Originally Posted by YDBD
wow....

none of the above....??
Huh?
Old 09-20-2009, 07:56 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Just thinking of your budget and what the prices are for those plus batteries and charger(s)...

It's easy to get a 700 car and spend 400 on batteries and another 100 on a charger....plus all the hop ups (racing), and replacement parts (bashing)

Guess I'd go with the HPI Blitz at least it's all metric and small enough to bash around.

I don't usually bash with my 1/8 or 1/5 due to the lack of area, would rather go to a big track (which we don't have right now)

I do run slashes at my house track...great car, great price, heck you can get 5 of those for you and your buddies....
Old 09-20-2009, 08:45 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 120 (100%+)

i would go with the 8ight-e 2.0 here is a list of everything you would need not sure what brand you would want of the stuff but here is everything you need to get you up and going its over youre $1200 budget but you could shop around ebay and get it cheaper

LOSA0806 -Losi 8IGHT-E 2.0 1/8 4WD Buggy Race Roller$749.99
LOSB9864 -Losi 4S Li-Poly 1/8th Hardcase Battery Pack 25C $184.99
SPM3140 - DX3S DSM 3CH Surface Radio with Telemetry (w/FREE RX) $239.99HP-EOS606IAD - Hyperion EOS 0606i Balancing Charger (6S/6A/50W) $139.99ACE8128 - Ace R/C DS1313 Super Torque Digital Servo $77.99

$1392.95
Old 09-20-2009, 09:05 PM
Tech Addict

So the 8E 2.0 would be a decent basher?

I was planning on getting everything you just post but get the DX3.0 instead. Hopefully that TX will work alright with it.

I kinda want to hold out for the HPI Vorza, but I want something soon.

Are there any good bashing tires made for the 8E 2.0?
Old 09-21-2009, 09:39 AM
Tech Addict

Are the AE SC8e and the RC8Te any good?
Old 09-21-2009, 01:34 PM
Tech Master

wow....

none of the above....??
+1 i recommend the slash or emaxx
Old 09-21-2009, 04:20 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 45 (100%+)

I would look into this for bashing/racing! Stronger then the losi for bashing! And a great racer too. On sale too
http://holeshothobbies.com/index.php...ae1175b7fdbbdd

alls ya need are baateries and charger. Caster is a great great company. And holeshothobbies is great to deal with
Old 09-21-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

wow....

none of the above....??
+1

The advantage of SC trucks (some you need to put some work in) and 1/8th scales are that they are *generally* pretty durable...

However, it's not true always... The SC10 needs to have front brace and rear brace from what I've been hearing track-side...

1/8th scales are like tanks, no complaints, but the tires and wheels starts to get expensive...

If I were you, get a solid 2wd 1/10th like a FT RC10T4, then spend a bit more and make it fun by converting it to a JConcept J82 (JC sells kits for the conversion). Or you can keep it as stadium truck form...

Save the rest of the money for the serious stuff like:

Batteries
Chargers
Radio
BL ESC and a good Motor
Accessories (shock oil, arms, LiPo balancers, etc.)

and most of all:

Track Fees
TIRES WHEELS TIRES WHEELS TIRES WHEELS

If you really like SC/CORR type of trucks, I highly recommend the SC10... It has a T4 as its base design, and even the AE blue shocks are better then 99% of the junk plastic ones you get in RTRs...
Old 09-21-2009, 08:19 PM
Tech Addict

I would go with the Losi buggy for both Bashing & Racing. Its a hard choice but as far as a Sc truck? I dont know, I drive the Sc10 but the Slash for the price is hard to beat. I would spend most of my money on Batts(lipo) a charger http://www.hobbypartz.com/thac6smbachw.html.. read alot of good things about this charger...for 1 it doesnt need a power supply & does it all charge,balance & All the batts out there. And a decent radio,something like a spectrum. Then a Good speedo & motor.. Novak,LRP something on those lines.. I WOULDNT recomend buying that used...unless you know the person personally. Just my 2 cents,hope that helped yas
Old 09-21-2009, 08:25 PM
Tech Adept

Hmmm, idk about the people saying the 8ight E 2.0. I mean im trying to figure out what 1/8 electric i want too, and im looking at the 8ight E 2.0. Buuut you'll never know what the Vorza is like until it comes out and people have let everyone else know the positives and negatives it has. Although I doubt it will be as "good" as the 8ight E 2.0 haha =P. As i keep doing research on them though i find that they all have their own positives and negatives so its really up to you to pull the trigger on one and see if it suites you . Just my opinion though. Good luck!
Old 09-29-2009, 06:12 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 2 (100%+)

You can't listen to the fanboys on these things The losi is a great buggy, but it is costly. For someone looking at bashing mostly, I would go with something cheaper but still by a good company with a racing pedigree for hopup support. The new HPI looks good and as far as I can tell, its just the regular HB D8 made electric, unlike the HB Ve8 that has a plastic frame. Being D8 based means it should be a good racer as well will good hopups straight from the D8 side. That is of course if it is mostly D8 dna. Plus it comes RTR with what is really just a re-branded Castle MMM system, for less than the Losi chassis only. I would just upgrade the radio with a spektrum or futaba 2.4ghz radio, and a 2ch is all you will need, a 3ch will just cost you more and you won't need that third channel, most of the 2ch and 3ch have similar features. I own a spektrum dx3 and a futaba 3pm and never used the third channel. Besides those high end radios like the dx3r are overkill unless you are a pro level driver. The losi will put you near your budget after you buy a motor and esc. If your set on those choices I would say the HPI buggy, with batteries and get a Slash as well If you are willing to branch out to other choices, I have heard good things about the new hyper 9e, there is a thread on this forum about it. Nitrohouse.com has it for $400. The new AE rc8be and rc8te look good as well. My friend is getting a rc8te soon, it looks to be better optioned than their RS spec'ed buggy/truggy but with lighter/thinner parts than the pro versions. Of course the pro version can be converted easily with AE's $100 kit, which will still be less than the losi. Caster racing seems good as well, it has a well balanced layout, and their website has a sale going on. You can get the RTR which has a pretty good ESC (the hobbywing I believe the 80amp version) but only an ok motor. The pro versions of the truggy and buggy have more options that lean to the racing side and lets you choose the electronics.

A good 2ch radio will cost about $200 with servos or $120 and 80 if bought separate. If you want to run 4cell lipo it will cost you around $250 for hardcase and $150 for softcase batts. A decent charger and balancing setup will be around $130. And if you need to get a ESC and motor that will run around $250 to 330 depending on brand. As far as the power plant The castle systems are really good especially for a basher. The tekin RX8 system is really good and smooth, but its still new and its going trough some teething issues like castle did, but tekin will fix any issues no problem, if you have any. Speed passion has a good system, and I hear its just or in process of being updated. Seeing as its really just a re-branded hobbywing in a metal casing, they are probably going to the new 150amp version. You can get a hobbywing 150amp esc for $100 or the 120amp for a bit less, combos go for around $200, but I hear the motors are only ok. If you went that route I would get the ESC only and get a quality motor for it.

For a primarily bashing car, a truggy might work better for you, so keep that option in mind.

hope that helps

Edit- just noticed you have several hundred posts, so your not a newb at RC so you probably know most of this info

Last edited by marine6680; 09-29-2009 at 07:13 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.