Go Back  R/C Tech Forums > General Forums > Electric Off-Road
What's it worth? What do I have? Should I keep or sell? Vintage 80s Kyosho/Tamiya >

What's it worth? What do I have? Should I keep or sell? Vintage 80s Kyosho/Tamiya

What's it worth? What do I have? Should I keep or sell? Vintage 80s Kyosho/Tamiya

Old 09-20-2009, 06:59 PM
Tech Initiate

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)
Default What's it worth? What do I have? Should I keep or sell? Vintage 80s Kyosho/Tamiya

So as I put in another post, my son and I were cleaning out the garage and he found all kinds of RC stuff I had from the 80s when I was younger. The other half of my gear is probably still at my parents' house, so I'll have to go on a scavenger hunt this Thanksgiving. Anyways, I would appreciate some input on what do I have, is it worth rebuilding (can I find parts??), should I sell it and cash out to someone that can appreciate it, etc. I'm into Mustangs and Fords, and my memory is pretty fuzzy from 25 years ago with these cars.

This is a Tamiya Falcon, I cannot find the front driver wheel. Aside from missing electronics and a bent antenna, everything else is intact. I never liked this car. Would anyone buy it? Or should we use this one for the really large jumps and crashes??

Looks like a spare Kyosho Ultima chassis. Am I correct? Should I keep or get rid of it? What's it worth?

This is a rear end from my Tamiya Super Champ. The rest of the car was thrown away in 85 or so. Is this worth putting on ebay or something? This was my first or second car (also had the Grasshopper). I am not interested in rebuilding it or buying a new one. Not sure what the market is for this piece.

So I also had a Tamiya Boomerang. I think this one has upgraded shocks on it... can't remember. I crashed this one pretty hard, and I broke the front gearbox apart (see the third pic). I glued it in the 80s, but it came apart again. I suppose it could be repaired. Is it worth fixing or should I help out another Boomerang owner??

So here's my Kyosho Ultima. I don't know which version or generation it is, but it's in pretty good shape, the front wheels have been painted red, and the front bumper has been painted white, and it doesn't have sway bars. I think all it needs is electronics and it should be ready to go. What's it worth? Should I keep this one?

This is an RC10 that I bought and NEVER ran. I didn't even finish building it, so I don't know if I have any parts missing or not. Sell? Keep? Fair price?

I like this next car, but I have no clue which one it is. It is a Kyosho, and the general front/rear is very similar to the Ultima, but the chassis is not a tub, it's two sheets of black fiberglass. I think the tires/wheels were non-factory that I added, but I could be wrong. So what the heck is this thing, and how does it rate compared to my other junk? It's pretty complete, minus the electronics. It has front and rear sway bars, although the front is missing a dogbone from the driver side (where could I track that down??)

I know this is the Kyosho Salute, based upon the Optima series. This thing was a beast when it ran, and it was way better than the Boomerang, just a meatier car. It's missing the passenger rear axle (where can I find one) but otherwise it's complete. This is the one my son wants me to rebuild. What is this one worth today, and if I decide to sell it what is it worth?

So here are some radios that I have. The first Magnum Junior has a spongy wheel, the second and third have a hard rubber wheel. The Futaba Attack is only two axis, but the Futaba FP-T4WD is for an airplane. Are they still good? I have no clue if they actually work, nor do I know why I have so many of the same one...

This was a motor I bought because it was recommended way back when by my local RC shop. How do I get info on it, like in terms of windings, power, etc? Is it a good motor?

Got a couple of these bags, too. What's a good value on them if I add them to a car sale? $20? $50? $200?

And lastly, I'm asking these questions because I have been out of the hobby for so long. I recently sold some car audio amps for $75 total (5 of them). I find my amps for sale two days later on caraudio.com for almost $500. So if I do sell something, it's not that I want to gouge anyone, I just don't want to get taken for a ride myself. I was especially pissed since the guy was haggling me and was going to put them in his car...

Anyways, this is my junk, looking forward to getting at least one up and running, and if somebody else can use the stuff that my son (4 years old) and I don't want, that's great too.

Dan
Old 09-20-2009, 07:03 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 80 (100%+)

If you decide to sell the falcon send me a pm with a price. My first car was a falcon so it would be kind of neat to have another once since it's 20 years later and I am just now getting back into the hobby.
Old 09-20-2009, 08:08 PM
Dan
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 53 (100%+)

You got to restore them to make them worth something.

The RC10 is a keeper. Find parts to make it complete and hold onto it. It will be worth a lot since it hasn't been ran.
Old 09-20-2009, 10:12 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 21 (100%+)

Go look on ebay and see what some of the same vehicles are selling for, that might help you make your desicion. The RC-10 Team Car would probably fetch a pretty penny on ebay. The Ultima that you have is the very first one that came out around '87, although the shocks on it seems to have been upgraded. Kyosho platinum shocks I'm guessing.

The vintage RCs are gaining popularity.
Old 09-20-2009, 11:31 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 211 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Dan View Post
You got to restore them to make them worth something.

The RC10 is a keeper. Find parts to make it complete and hold onto it. It will be worth a lot since it hasn't been ran.
I would absolutely keep the RC10 and find parts (who knows where?) to make it complete. Having an unused one from 20+ years ago not only is cool but if you ever can't make the mortgage payment, it's a good back up.

As for the prices on everything else, it depends who you find.
I found a guy selling 4 large boxes of vintage RC stuff a few months back. Had a couple Kyosho's, a Losi ST, and other stuff I didn't know about. I paid $100 for everything but decided I didn't want it so put it on FEEBay. Guy saw just the body from the Stinger MKII and paid me $40 for it. Sold the rest for $350 and not much of it was in as good of shape as those pics.
Definitely do your research on what you have.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:32 AM
Tech Master

I'd say have a GOOD look around FleaBay and see what other stuff similar is going for. Some people will pay good money for old/vintage gear, but only if they know what they are buying. Find an instruction manual if you don't have one, and list ALL of the missing parts. You may find people that will bid well for them if they have access to the missing parts.
I'd say they are no good to keep, except the RC10 (NEVER sell that, unless you need a new kidney), unless you want to restore them. THat can be expensive and time consuming.
My 2c
Old 09-21-2009, 04:32 AM
Tech Initiate

So when I think mortgage payment, I think $3,000. Is that what the RC10 is worth? Or are we talking a small house mortgage payment, like $700?

And anyone have a clue what model this one was?

Thanks for the help so far.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:37 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
So when I think mortgage payment, I think $3,000. Is that what the RC10 is worth? Or are we talking a small house mortgage payment, like $700?

And anyone have a clue what model this one was?

Thanks for the help so far.
Looks like an Ultima Pro or maybe a hopped up Ultima II.

You Super Champ rear end it probably worth $100+ if it is complete and in good shape.
Old 09-21-2009, 05:52 AM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 8 (90%+)

Keep the RC10, as it seems pretty complete, if not it's probably missing some parts that's still available through AE and most LHS.

The rest, I would just Ebay it, if you want the maximum price. Many Tamiya stuff are being re-release so that's having a major affect on the market now-a-days. The SuperChamp was special but it isn't exactly sought after compare to the RoughRider (re-release already) and Sand Scorcher (rumour to be re-release). The boomerang was re-released AFAIK. The falcon was just a plastic car, that appeals to a few.

Now your Kyosho cars might worth quite a bit. The Ultima and Salute might fetch a good price if you clean it up a bit and put it on Ebay.

As for total cost, you won't be seeing $3000 if that's what you are wondering.

Forums to check out for pricing
rc10talk.com
tamiyaclub.com

Good luck!
Old 09-21-2009, 07:07 AM
Tech Initiate

Ultima Pro it is. How does the Ultima Pro compare to the 1986 Ultima? Appears to be different chassis, and the Pro has front/rear sway bars, but otherwise similar.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:15 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

Originally Posted by dan50 View Post
Ultima Pro it is. How does the Ultima Pro compare to the 1986 Ultima? Appears to be different chassis, and the Pro has front/rear sway bars, but otherwise similar.
The changes were mostly the chassis and shocks. The gear box is almost the same except the Pro may have used a ball diff instead of a gear diff. The suspension arms and steering I believe were exactly the same. Your older Ultima doesn't have the stock shocks or shock towers. The original shocks would have been red and were the same length front and rear.
Old 09-21-2009, 09:22 AM
Tech Initiate

Is one of the two preferred? I can't have six cars, I need to get rid of some of them. Seems like I should keep the Pro.

Also, which type of car is preferred, 4WD or RWD? I have both the Ultima/Ultima Pro and the Salute.
Old 09-21-2009, 01:58 PM
Tech Apprentice

for the kyosho buggies you have an original ultima chassis which actually goes with the body u have onthe other ultima with the silver shocks( which is a turbo ultima) the other is a ultima pro and the rc10 is a team car not worth as much as the older six gear gold rc10's
Old 09-21-2009, 06:18 PM
Tech Initiate

The Salute is up and running as of tonight. I just need to get batteries for my Magnum Jr radio. I went ahead and bought some parts at my local shop, the owner helped me re-learn the radios, servos, etc, and I bought a rear axle for the Salute. So I've got a 1800mah 7.2v battery that I picked up there.

In my box of junk (not posted) I have several 8.4v batteries, they are 1200 mah. Did the higher voltage batteries fall out of favor? I remember they were the rage in 86-88. Course, I didn't know anything then so maybe I just thought bigger was better!
Old 09-21-2009, 06:28 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

for bashing with nimh, bigger is pretty much better. but 7.2 is more popular because of the racing rules.

Search this Thread

Contact Us Archive Advertising Cookie Policy Privacy Statement Terms of Service