Tools.

Old 09-20-2009, 12:06 PM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)
Default Tools.

Hey fellas,

Well, it's about time for me to order another lot of parts etc and was this time thinking about grabbing some tools as well.

What do you use, what would you recommend?

I am getting my stuff from Losi Parts House and so I am at the moment looking at the Losi tools.
The AE set don't look anywhere near as good or as impressive as the Losi set but I am not in this hobby to judge a book by it's cover.

Can the losi bits be taken out and put into a cordless screwdriver?

Anyone else use these or anything else that's decent?
I also thought about just trying to get my hands on some Snap on or bondhus or something like that.

Also does anyone have the Pro Exotics PE-2 temp gun? Looking at this as well, seems cheap and sounds decent.
Just curious if it is possible to get any sort of quality at that price.

I think that is it for now.

Cheers.
Old 09-20-2009, 12:56 PM
Tech Adept

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The set of losi tools I have you can take the tip out to replace when they break but there not hex ones that can be used with a cordless driver. The best tools i have used are hudy but they also cost a few most then the ae or losi my best advice is to try different brands at the track or shop and see what feels good in your hand. integy pro grips are nice too.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:14 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

I've used just about every tool out there in the nearly 2 decades I've been in this hobby. Nothing seems to compare to the feel of the MIP drivers. All the others have pretty aluminum handles, but they feel like baby toys after using a MIP. I have used them since the days when they were actually "Thorp" drivers.

Jerome
Old 09-20-2009, 01:26 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 11 (100%+)

MIP/Thorp drivers are where it's at. They will last years. I'm finally having to replace my 2.5mm MIP hex driver after about 5 years. Still functional but has lost some of it's edge from trying to remove seized screws, etc over the years.

One note is don't be suckered into the "regrinding" service that MIP offers. By the time you pay for regrinding and shipping you can just buy a new wrench.
Old 09-20-2009, 01:40 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 3 (100%+)

Originally Posted by kcobra View Post
MIP/Thorp drivers are where it's at. They will last years. I'm finally having to replace my 2.5mm MIP hex driver after about 5 years. Still functional but has lost some of it's edge from trying to remove seized screws, etc over the years.

One note is don't be suckered into the "regrinding" service that MIP offers. By the time you pay for regrinding and shipping you can just buy a new wrench.
They've up'ed the price of regrinding these days.. It's $15!! The same price as a new one... back-in-the-day, it was $7 for regrinding when the wrenches were $13. *sigh* oh well... They do last for many years.. a few of mine are over 10 years old... the straight drivers last longer than the ball style.

Jerome
Old 09-20-2009, 05:14 PM
Tech Master

I've used most popular brand tools & seem to come back to the MIPs when I get sick of or break what ever the newest flavor I have at the time.

There are 2 major problems with the MIP drivers & one smaller problem.
Smal problem first,they take up lots of room in the pit box.May not sound like a big deal but after years of accumulating lots of crap it makes a difference.

First big problem is they have plastic handles & with grease or oil on your hands you cant get a good grip like you can with knurled alum handles.

Second big problem is when everything is clean you can get too good a grip on them due to the large dia handle.I know this sounds insane but I used to recomend MIP drivers to noobs & they would strip threads & snap off screw heads often till they got in the habbit of paying attention to what the hell they are doing.Puting a screw in a hole is not the same as properly tightening a screw.

I will also saw like above that I still have all the MIP drivers I bought 10+ years ago & they still are sharp as new. All but the smallest SAE driver anyway I had broken that one when I realized SAE is not what will be on any of my cars again.
Old 09-20-2009, 05:45 PM
Tech Regular

my AE tools do me just fine, plus when i bought them the store had them marked at 24.95 when they should have been 44.95 so i got a deal ,the whole set standards and metric.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:10 AM
Tech Fanatic

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

Cool, cheers for the replies.

I reckon I might just grab a couple of the Losi ones for now (just the main sizes I use) and look at getting a full set later when I can.
Old 09-21-2009, 12:27 AM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 13 (100%+)

Originally Posted by JeromeK99 View Post
I've used just about every tool out there in the nearly 2 decades I've been in this hobby. Nothing seems to compare to the feel of the MIP drivers. All the others have pretty aluminum handles, but they feel like baby toys after using a MIP. I have used them since the days when they were actually "Thorp" drivers.

Jerome
+1

After stripping out many hex screws, I don't mess around with allen wrenches anymore. I use MIP/Thorp set whether it's for metric or standard size...

They cost a pretty penny, but it's worth it IMO... I've abused the tips, put a lot of torque with it, and the tip is still like it was brand new like the day I bought it...