Search

RC8Be vs. 8ight-E 2.0

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 07:24 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 16 (94%+)
Default RC8Be vs. 8ight-E 2.0

Which chassis is going to be better converted to electric? Which balances better? How do their handling characteristics differ? Does one require more maintenance than the other? Is one more durable? Is one lighter? Is one easier on tires? Those kinds of things.

I'm just basically looking for insight on these cars, and how they compare to each other. Any info, on either of these cars would be appreciated.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:30 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 6 (100%+)

In my opinion, and I own both, the 8ight is a better balanced car. Since it has the flipped rear input shaft, the motor car be quite offset and still have a straight rear transfer shaft. The front one is still angled, but most of the power is going to the rear anyway.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:49 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

The EIGHT makes one of the best platforms for a conversion due to the offset center diff. It means you can run big packs and the car still doesn't feel off balanced. The RC8 has a straightline center diff and is noticeably off balance wiht larger packs as the battery weight tends to hang off to the side more. The only exception to this would be if you used the AE conversion kit but your battery choices are very limited.

I found the original rc8 to be a very weak car in the durability department. It needed a lot of upgrades to really make it reliable. Supposedly, this has been fixed with the rc8b, but I moved on to the Xray 808. The Losi is very durable although it gets sloppy real quick. Doesn't break, but sloppy.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:58 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 4 (100%+)

I built a MBX5T and balance was no issue. Got it to within 30 grams with a 6S LiPo hanging on one side. Used the RX8, 1350 kv Tekin motor and RC-Monster motor mount and battery tray. No brake servo.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:32 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

The Tekno kits balance any chassis. I've driven plenty of my buds losi 8e's and can't tell any difference, handling wise, from my Tekno RC8.
Old 09-11-2009, 11:40 AM
Tech Addict

Trader Rating: 23 (100%+)

Originally Posted by Doodad
The Tekno kits balance any chassis. I've driven plenty of my buds losi 8e's and can't tell any difference, handling wise, from my Tekno RC8.
+1, the Tekno chassis offsets the drivetrain anyway, and if your convertiong it you will be useing someones conversion and the Tekno is abot the best for the money
Old 09-11-2009, 11:59 AM
-J-
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Edumakated
The EIGHT makes one of the best platforms for a conversion due to the offset center diff. It means you can run big packs and the car still doesn't feel off balanced. The RC8 has a straightline center diff and is noticeably off balance wiht larger packs as the battery weight tends to hang off to the side more. The only exception to this would be if you used the AE conversion kit but your battery choices are very limited.

I found the original rc8 to be a very weak car in the durability department. It needed a lot of upgrades to really make it reliable. Supposedly, this has been fixed with the rc8b, but I moved on to the Xray 808. The Losi is very durable although it gets sloppy real quick. Doesn't break, but sloppy.
So if I use the AE conversion kit for the RC8B, it will or it won't be very well balanced?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:19 PM
Tech Legend

Trader Rating: 294 (100%+)

Originally Posted by -J-
So if I use the AE conversion kit for the RC8B, it will or it won't be very well balanced?
that will depend on battery choice.

I used the RCPD conversion for my RC8, and it was biased to the battery side, but handling was still really good, nothing that I noticed in racing it as far as bias goes, and I run a heavy batttery pack.

If you are really concerned about chassis balance, then you may want to look into the losi 8ight or some of the other kits out there like the Caster Fusion or Hyper 9E. The caster does a good job with balance since it runs a saddle style pack setup, and the Hyper 9E is quite narrow and moves the center diff back so more weight is towards the center of the car than say the RC8e.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:27 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Cain
that will depend on battery choice.

I used the RCPD conversion for my RC8, and it was biased to the battery side, but handling was still really good, nothing that I noticed in racing it as far as bias goes, and I run a heavy batttery pack.

If you are really concerned about chassis balance, then you may want to look into the losi 8ight or some of the other kits out there like the Caster Fusion or Hyper 9E. The caster does a good job with balance since it runs a saddle style pack setup, and the Hyper 9E is quite narrow and moves the center diff back so more weight is towards the center of the car than say the RC8e.
I'm not pulling my hair out about the balance, it's not a TC, but I want it to be close. I was thinking about using the Reedy 4s 5000mAh pack which weighs 505 grams.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:30 PM
Tech Elite

Originally Posted by -J-
The AE, along with the Tekno, and the rc-monster conversions fix the balance problem now.

The old school RC Product Designs and RC-monster conversions didn't do anything to correct that the center diff was straight line down the middle versus being offset. This could affect handling because there was a lot of weight from the battery hanging off the left side of the car.

The current AE kit limits your battery choices though because the battery box is designed around using 2x 2s hard case packs. Both the Tekno and RC-Monster conversion use entirely new chassis to better balance the battery and give you more battery choices by moving the center diff over.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:35 PM
-J-
Tech Regular

Originally Posted by Edumakated
The AE, along with the Tekno, and the rc-monster conversions fix the balance problem now.

The old school RC Product Designs and RC-monster conversions didn't do anything to correct that the center diff was straight line down the middle versus being offset. This could affect handling because there was a lot of weight from the battery hanging off the left side of the car.

The current AE kit limits your battery choices though because the battery box is designed around using 2x 2s hard case packs. Both the Tekno and RC-Monster conversion use entirely new chassis to better balance the battery and give you more battery choices by moving the center diff over.
Good to hear. I was planning on using the Reedy li-po, so the battery box size isn't an issue.

With the balance aside, does either one have a clear advantage over the other?
Old 09-11-2009, 12:36 PM
Tech Addict

My Factory Team RC8 - Electric - Limited Edition w/ 4s is very balance, and very durable. I <3 the thing. Easy to work on, a tank, and FAST!!! The RC8B is an amazing AMAZING buggy, i say you get that with the AE conversion.

Dont get me wrong, i was stuck between the two as well, and i went with AE for two reason. I found a KILLER deal and ive always leaned towards AE. But i was considering a Eight2.0E
Old 09-11-2009, 12:38 PM
Tech Legend

How does the AE conversion fix the balance? Looking at the pics of the RC8e, looks like the center diff is still in the same place, so with pack weight and ESC on one side, I would think it would be a bit off balance.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:44 PM
Tech Addict

The RC8'd drive train does not get moved, its centered. The in-balance is due to heavy batteries, like a large 6s.

The Eights drive train is off centered, so it helps counter weight the heavy battery.
But if you have a lighter battery, then the EIGHT will be slightly in balanced.

You can always use counter weights, on either car... If your that concerned about weight distribution.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:47 PM
Tech Legend

I guess the question then should be what is the appropriate battery max size to keep the balance within reason on the RC8 AE conversion then.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.