Community
Wiki Posts
Search

rustler vxl battery

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-2009, 05:15 PM
Tech Apprentice

Default rustler vxl battery

Hey guys I have a rustler vxl and recently 2 of my lipo batteries died so now I need some new ones. I was thinking about getting 2 8.4v 4000-5000 mah NiMh. Is that a good choice? I only do off road so i dont need a 3s lipo. what is the best possible battery for my needs?
Old 09-10-2009, 06:04 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

If you want Nimh you will be very disappointed after using lipo. You can get 2 good 2s hardcase lipos for the price of one good nimh pack anyways. If you really want Nimh I cant give much advice, I have not used them in awhile.
Old 09-10-2009, 06:34 PM
Tech Regular

Trader Rating: 8 (100%+)

9.6v nimh best bet or more witht the VXL u want wheelie on demand
Old 09-10-2009, 06:37 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 5 (100%+)

Originally Posted by grave digger
Hey guys I have a rustler vxl and recently 2 of my lipo batteries died so now I need some new ones. I was thinking about getting 2 8.4v 4000-5000 mah NiMh. Is that a good choice? I only do off road so i dont need a 3s lipo. what is the best possible battery for my needs?
get a quality smc 2s hard case lipo. It will last you over a year. They also are under $75.
Old 09-10-2009, 07:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by snowboard094
get a quality smc 2s hard case lipo. It will last you over a year. They also are under $75.
Well when you say over a year, how often do you run the truck? I run mine every single day anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours each day. I have a duratrax 2s lipo that I got in December of 2008 and it recently died on me and It was a $120 battery that it just wasted. So I was thinking about going NiMh. Much cheaper, cooler running sometimes, and still has great power.
Old 09-10-2009, 08:33 PM
Tech Master

Well when you say over a year, how often do you run the truck? I run mine every single day anywhere from 15 minutes to 2 hours each day. I have a duratrax 2s lipo that I got in December of 2008 and it recently died on me and It was a $120 battery that it just wasted. So I was thinking about going NiMh. Much cheaper, cooler running sometimes, and still has great power.
Yes they are arguably one of the best bats around. Well another alternative would be a life battery from max amps. They provide 1000+ usable cycles(4 times longer than lipos) and much more goodies. Check it out!
Old 09-10-2009, 08:36 PM
Tech Elite

Trader Rating: 17 (100%+)

I dont know much about the Duratrax Lipos, but I know the SMCs have been puffing up all over the forums. I cant see spending that kind of money for a good return policy. Nimh will never run cooler than a comparible Lipo, and if you look around you will see that many people have good luck with Zippy Lipos, including myself. You can get 2 for the price of 1 good NImh pack.
Hardcased, durable, and way more powerful than a comparible Nimh pack....what else do you need? I have a few that I have run almost daily for over 6 months, I paid under $70 for 2 shipped to my door. My last Nimh packs were matched 4200s, I paid $65 each for them and they didnt have nearly the same power, runtime, or life cycles as I have already put on these, and they were always HOT(160+F) after hard runs. My Zippy 2s has not seen over 110F after longer runtimes and higher speeds. I dont mean to start the whole debate on your thread about what battery is best, but I have had lots of expensive batteries and a few cheapos too, in several RCs from 1/18th to 1/8th. I will never buy anything but Zippy unless they have a major drop in quality at some point, its just a waste of money. Whatever you choose Im sure you will have fun, I just think going from Lipo to Nimh will be a major step in the wrong direction.
Old 09-10-2009, 09:55 PM
Tech Master

Originally Posted by burnineyes
I dont know much about the Duratrax Lipos, but I know the SMCs have been puffing up all over the forums. I cant see spending that kind of money for a good return policy. Nimh will never run cooler than a comparible Lipo, and if you look around you will see that many people have good luck with Zippy Lipos, including myself. You can get 2 for the price of 1 good NImh pack.
Hardcased, durable, and way more powerful than a comparible Nimh pack....what else do you need? I have a few that I have run almost daily for over 6 months, I paid under $70 for 2 shipped to my door. My last Nimh packs were matched 4200s, I paid $65 each for them and they didnt have nearly the same power, runtime, or life cycles as I have already put on these, and they were always HOT(160+F) after hard runs. My Zippy 2s has not seen over 110F after longer runtimes and higher speeds. I dont mean to start the whole debate on your thread about what battery is best, but I have had lots of expensive batteries and a few cheapos too, in several RCs from 1/18th to 1/8th. I will never buy anything but Zippy unless they have a major drop in quality at some point, its just a waste of money. Whatever you choose Im sure you will have fun, I just think going from Lipo to Nimh will be a major step in the wrong direction.
Um.....smc packs have not been puffing up all over the forum, zippy packs have. Everybody has their preferences when it comes to batteries, you just have to find the pack that suits your needs. I like smc better because "I" think they are better put together than zippy packs. I have had 3 zippy packs and 2 were good and one had a bad sauntering job.
Old 09-10-2009, 10:29 PM
Suspended

Trader Rating: 1 (67%+)

I have a rustler that started out as xl5 and now I have a mamba max esc a medusa 4800kv motor gears 35/76 with a Turnigy 3000mah 3s 11.1 and my presoanl best speed yet is 75mph clocked with radar gun and gps. turnigy are great for the price had a solder breaking problem out of it but i cut top open and fixed that with some fresh solder no problem since. not bad for a 30 dollar batt.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:01 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

There are so many ppl running smc now that of course you will hear of some failures. I have 2 40c 2s that were out in the heat of my jeep and swelled alittle, no biggie to me.

If 10x more ppl use them, you'll hear more bad things. I love smc and theres nothing wrong with them or their customer service

you can get their 6000mah 2s 28c for 75$
I ran 2 of them in a erbe and they were great.

All offroad or not, go lipo. Forget nihm
Old 09-11-2009, 12:43 PM
Tech Apprentice

Thank you to everyone and I see where you are coming from cbhvr6 but you can get a 9.6v NiMh to be as fast, or maybe slightly faster than a 2s lipo. and still cheaper.
Old 09-11-2009, 12:53 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 19 (100%+)

just as fast maybe, but heavy and less runtime.

i would rather have something with the same power (at less volts) runs longer, and weighs less
Old 09-11-2009, 01:13 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

Originally Posted by snowboard094
Yes they are arguably one of the best bats around. Well another alternative would be a life battery from max amps. They provide 1000+ usable cycles(4 times longer than lipos) and much more goodies. Check it out!
+1
Old 09-11-2009, 03:29 PM
Tech Apprentice

Originally Posted by sLaSh It UPP
+1
why do u always do that
Old 09-11-2009, 04:47 PM
Tech Master

Trader Rating: 1 (100%+)

why do u always do that
because it means that it is a good reply to the thread

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.